bank angle sensor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detdrbuzzard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
for those riding a 1500 wing, have you had your bank angle sensor replaced? i stopped by the dealer last thursday and had them run my vin and descovered that mine had not been replaced. there was a recall on it ( the bank angle sensor ) and the good news is that the recall is still in effect and my sensor will be replaced free

well it was a sad day today. we had some nice weather but i took the wing back to the dealer to have the bank angle sensor replaced while it is still under warrenty. anyone have some tissue

detdrbuzzard":2vpvatqn said:
well it was a sad day today. we had some nice weather but i took the wing back to the dealer to have the bank angle sensor replaced while it is still under warrenty. anyone have some tissue

Is it going to take a long time for the repair?

being a holiday week and the part not being in stock it will take longer to get the part than to put it on so i won't get the bike back until after thanksgiving, i'm thinking two weeks from now. the bank angle sensor is under the seat, just remove the seat and you are looking at it, unbolt, unplug replace, replug, and rebolt it back in place. i think honda started putting bank angle sensors on with the 1200 wings, cuts the bike off if it falls over but mine is cutting off just cruising 75 - 80 mph then you have to turn the bike off and back on and restart it. not something you want happening out on the x-way in traffic

slabghost":w17zhix2 said:
Never had one and really can't think of any reason to want one.
having the 1200 wing already there was no reason for me to buy the 1500 wing, i just wanted one. having put some seat time on a 1000, 1100, and 1200 wing i'm glad i got the 1500 wing.try crusing around in 5th gear doing 30 mph and acceleration away without downshifting on your 4 cylinder wing. it has a stiffer frame, more power and more weight than a dressed 4cyl wing. it has more room ( my favorite ) than my 1200 wing and the stock windshield blocks more air than most aftermarket windshields for 1100 and 1200 wings. the 1500 is quieter than a 1100 or 1200 wing, the bags and trunk are bigger but the bike itself is more complicated with more electronics and changing the air filter seems to be a two hour job. i won't tell you that a 1500 wing is a better bike than your 1100 wing but the 1500 is a better fitting bike for me and i just pointed out some of the things i like about it more than my 1200. removing rotor covers to change front brakesadds a little time to do that job but lots of 1100 and 1200 wing owners have rotor covers on their bikes too

detdrbuzzard":2t5hijjp said:
the bank angle sensor is under the seat, just remove the seat and you are looking at it, unbolt, unplug replace, replug, and rebolt it back in place.

Sounds like a plug and play deal.
Is it something you could have done or was it required to be done by the dealer?

detdrbuzzard":1l1iofk0 said:
slabghost":1l1iofk0 said:
having the 1200 wing already there was no reason for me to buy the 1500 wing, i just wanted one. having put some seat time on a 1000, 1100, and 1200 wing i'm glad i got the 1500 wing.try crusing around in 5th gear doing 30 mph and acceleration away without downshifting on your 4 cylinder wing. it has a stiffer frame, more power and more weight than a dressed 4cyl wing. it has more room ( my favorite ) than my 1200 wing and the stock windshield blocks more air than most aftermarket windshields for 1100 and 1200 wings. the 1500 is quieter than a 1100 or 1200 wing, the bags and trunk are bigger but the bike itself is more complicated with more electronics and changing the air filter seems to be a two hour job. i won't tell you that a 1500 wing is a better bike than your 1100 wing but the 1500 is a better fitting bike for me and i just pointed out some of the things i like about it more than my 1200. removing rotor covers to change front brakesadds a little time to do that job but lots of 1100 and 1200 wing owners have rotor covers on their bikes too
I've no preference for one model over another regardless of size. I just don't see any need for the bank angle sensor.

slabghost":svcrg9sv said:
detdrbuzzard":svcrg9sv said:
slabghost":svcrg9sv said:
I've no preference for one model over another regardless of size. I just don't see any need for the bank angle sensor.
all it does is cut the bike off if it tips over

The BAS (Bank Angle Sensor) Recall included the 88-93 models. It had to do with the gel like fluid that is contained inside the switch. It would evaporate and allow the pivoting weight inside the switch to randomly rock from side to side. This would kill the engine at any time…. like in the middle of a turn…. at night. Very dangerous and so the reason for the recall.

Once the BAS is in the technician's hand the actual R&R should take less than 30 minutes. The BAS is located under the seat…. near the junction of the trail trunk and the right saddlebag. The only part that needs to be removed is the seat (other than the BAS).

I replace hundreds of them when I was a tech….. and if anyone has a 1500 that hasn't had the recall conducted they should…. by all means…. have it done.
It's at no charge to the customer, only takes a few minutes and might save your life. After all… a safety recall isn't just for fun…. it's to save a life or a serious injury.

If you've ever dropped your bike on the right side… had the throttle stick at 10k and spit a rod out the front of the engine cases or bent a handful of valves from over reving…

you might feel different.

raycw":1jntzgh2 said:
If you've ever dropped your bike on the right side… had the throttle stick at 10k and spit a rod out the front of the engine cases or bent a handful of valves from over reving…

you might feel different.
Never happened to me. Never will. If it did. I care more about me than a busted bike. At least I know some sensor isn't going to shut me down in a hard lean and cause the accident.

Latest posts