Block freeze?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
May be a silly question for you guys in the cold country.

I have that 1200 I'm working on outside in the driveway. It has just alittle antifreeze in the coolant, not 50/50 maybe like 20/80 at best.
We woke up to puddles with ice sheets and frost all over then my heart sped up while driving to work when I thought about how cold the bike must have gotten.

I dont want to put 50/50 in it because I'm still battling that overheating.
Am I better to just leave the cooling system empty and open?

I've heard horror stories about block freeze and ruining an engine but how cold does it actually have to get for that to happen?

Without a 50/50 mix, the temp that it can freeze is expotential to the rate for the mix. With water only, the block and radiator will have the potential to freeze and crack when in 32 degrees and below for about 2 hours (assuming cold engine and left out in the weather). The damage occurs when the ice expands inside of the engine as it becomes a solid piece. If there is any antifreeze in the engine, it will take much longer to reach a solid block condition. It does not take much to crack an aluminium block, particularly at the cylinder walls when they freeze solid. On car engines, there used to be freeze-out plugs in the block so that they could pop out before the block would crack. I don't know if they still have them.

With the tad bit of anti-freeze in there it might lower the freezing temp to 20-25 if your lucky... I wouldnt chance it, If it was me i would just drain all the water out of the bike, Cut the tip off of a water or milk jug and save the water if you want, Probably take 2 jugs

I think with a 20/80 mix, you're probably OK. As for the overheating problem, I'm certain you've probably checked this, but are you sure you are getting the prescribed amount of coolant in the bike? When I drained my 1500 the first time, I measured the coolant that came out to see if it equated to what the book said it held. It drained to the ounce per spec.
I then measured what I put back in to be sure I got it all in the system. I used to be into Pontiac Fieros, had 4 of 'em at one time, and they could be a bear for air locking, then overheating. Engine in back, and long lines to the front where the radiator was. I have changed coolant in this 83 1100 I bought, and didn't seem to be a probem- hasn't overheated in about 200 miles of running. Just a thought.
Randy

I have lived in Iowa and Minnisota. Trust me, if it's gonna freeze, it'll do it there. That said, I don't think you have a lot to worry about. You most likely could get away with throwing a tarp over the bike to block the wind chill and be good with the mix you mentioned. The frozen car motors I've seen (with damage) were left with pure water in them and exposed to sub zero wind for days. If it would make you feel better, open the cooling system to allow for some expansion. If you don't want to "richen" the mix, my sdvice would be to shield it from the wind the best you can. Especially the radiator.

Just block the engine from the wind when it's going to get cold (cold in California). Left out in cold wind the engine is like a bridge with wind above and below it "Bridge freezes before road". Can't see freezing being a problem for you, takes low temps sustained for a time to start the freezing process. :beer:

You can also tarp it and put a droplight under the tarp... that would give just enough heat to keep from frezing unless you got the cold like BIG BEAR LAKE and Lake Arrowhead.. and days of exposure in the mild temps with tarp and light will keep it from getting iceblocked

Joep":29p2xe0m said:
You can also tarp it and put a drop under the tarp... that would give just enough heat to keep from frezing unless you got the cold like BIG BEAR LAKE and Lake Arrowhead.. and days of exposure in the mild temps with tarp and light will keep it from getting iceblocked

I did this and it boy does it help. 29f for 6 hrs straight last night and when I started her up. She fired like it was 110f out and I had no more coolant drips from the crossover.

You guys rock, thank you. :salute:

~O~

Latest posts