Bombardier Can-Am Spyder

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221714#p221714:13e9heii said:
pidjones » Today, 1:48 pm[/url]":13e9heii]
No, I haven't even advertised the 1800 yet. Waiting to see what they will offer on trade (since they don't have ANY GoldWings in stock in Kodak, and just a couple 2021s "on order" at their other stores). This is a big dealership, too. Right at the exit for Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Dollywood, the Smokys. Multi-line dealer but right now mainly ATVs and UTVs and a good stock of Spyders.

The 1800 has "Full Monty" Traxxion suspension, which should add at least a thousand to the price. I'm willing to take anything else off of it. I have put the '79 GL1000 on Facebook Marketplace, but primarily to advertise our vintage motorcycle show next weekend. I'll update that ad after the show. Might take it to the show, but doubt it as I'll be driving my truck pulling a trailer with the Hunley (just changed the oil and filter in her).

Had the Traxxion Full Monty on my 1800 when I had it. First item I replaced, made a huge difference. Had considered the Traxxion suspension for the 1500 front forks, but this will not happen now. Down to one GW, just sold the 1500, the new owner didn't even dicker on the price. Now to get the V-Strom gone. Sonya mentioned that she will miss the 1500, enjoyed the ride, but we now have the Spyder.

Hear you on the availability of used bikes. The dealers up here had a banner year last year and are expecting the same this year. Make the used market a little better to be in.

Don't know if I have ever posted a pic of my N-Line trailer, have now:
N-Line Trailer.jpg

The 1500 went out the driveway for the last time yesterday afternoon. Allan, fellow who bought the bike was very pleased with the bike, sent me a text when he got home. His riding friends looked at the pics and what I had done. Favourable comments all round. Some of these friends now have 1800s and mentioned that if they had their druthers, they would still have a 1500.

Had to console myself, so Sonya and I suited up, got on the Spyder and went for a coffee run over the Malahat. Nice day all round. Can now park her car back in the garage. Win-Win all round.

Have started a list as mentioned and getting the parts/pieces to baseline this Spyder.

Have the B.U.D.S. software diagnostic kit, 2013 Spyder service manual coming - need to order the 2014 supplement, Speedbleeders on order, will be checking/servicing the front brakes this week, new belt tensioner - an upgraded one, Magic Mirrors - high powered magnets use to secure the side mirrors to the Spyder - easier to remove for maintenance, coolant change - front trunk has to come off.

Brake bleed/flush - needed the diagnostic software to do a complete brake fluid change. Can be done manually, but you are not able to flush the ABS brake module (?). You manually flush the brakes first, then hook up the diagnostic software, bleed the brakes again IAW with the software directions. The diagnostic software cycles the ABS unit to flush. When this is competed, you do a pressure test of the system - pass/fail. Fairly detailed.

Had purchased paint protection film for the 1500 but never used it. The Spyder is a Pearl white, like these white pearl machines, and noticed that some of the panels where my legs and feet are may get scratched and such so intend to use this film product to protect the finish. This is on the agenda for this week, as is servicing the front brake calipers to determine if the calipers are causing the "shimmy"/pulsing on braking, or its the rotors. If it's the rotors, new pads will go on as well.

To make sure I don't get any maintenance angst, there's plenty of plastic to remove to work/maintenance. :music:

Thanks Joe. With the 1500 gone, the V-Strom on the market and the new to me Spyder, I have more time to work on my '85 Limited Edition. Too many irons in the fire and not a lot gets done at anyone time. What I intend to do regarding work/maintenance on the Spyder is to baseline it, otherwise intend to ride it.

Started a project on the Spyder. I had bought 3M Scotchguard paint protection film that I was going to use on the 1500. Never got to it so I am using it on the Spyder. There are some panels that are in the line of fire from boots, seat, and road crap that I can use this PPF to protect the various areas. I have watched on line videos and read instructions, but have just found out that a lot is left out. Did this side panel first because the seat rubs against the finish. Will do the other side this afternoon:
PPF Side Panel 1.jpg
took about 1/1/2 to 2 hours, and turned out not too bad for first time ever. It is not going to be an overnight project but it will get done. This PPF is easily removed as well if I have to redo a section/panel.

Had to use a heat gun, water/Johnson baby shampoo, and the squeegee from the PPF package. The PPF is 12" by 10' so lots to use, but the 18" wide PPF would be better. Intend to do the front cowling and various front bits to protect the finish. Would like to protect and keep the paint job nice, painting a white pearl colour is a major project - BTDT. Should get better at this as I progress.

Took the Spyder out for a good trial run yesterday. We have a loop that we ride, Victoria, Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan, Duncan, home to Victoria. The road out to Port Renfrew is a nice twisty, but bumpy ride - good suspension is a must otherwise, you know just how much travel the suspension has. This road is under construction, lots of dips and dives in the most inconvenient spots, and is a mix of pavement and tar/gravel. Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan is twisty as well, a tar/gravel road top, with a good amount of dips that test your suspension as well. The ride was good, but I did use all the travel the suspension had, and bottomed several times no matter what air pressure setting I used in the rear shock. The ride on these two legs of the ride reminded me of a snowmobile motocross course - in/out of turns, speed up - shed the right amount of speed into the next corner, left turn/right turn, hang out the side. On roads that have corners that are not graded properly, the Spyder is not the vehicle of choice. I was glad to get back onto the civilized paved roads. Not to say this is not a road to ride, but will now know that when Sonya and I ride the Spyder on this trip, speed is not your friend.

Brought to mind, again, the need to replace the OEM suspension. More reading being done, and refreshing the memory on compression/rebound settings and why these are important. Video viewing of the various aftermarket shocks out there. FOX shocks has some good videos explaining rebound and such.

We call that type road shot-and-chipped. If the surface is loose at all, you might also consider a belt guard. I understand that it only takes one strategically placed rock to puncture a belt. And, they aren't cheap! We took ours out Saturday with to neighbor couples - one on a 2018 RT, the other on an old Ural sidecar. Had to keep our top speeds around 50 MPH for the Ural but that was Ok with me getting the new RT broke in (total <400 miles so far). We did around 160 miles and my BRP reported fuel economy was around 39 mpg. Overall, the day was a mix of twisty (even a few switchbacks) and straight. Had a good lunch with the friends and Judy got some miles in on her thrown. She is beginning to like it. Doesn't think she'll want the arm rests (on the 2020 and 2021 they just tilt out ~15 degrees for entry). Totally abandoned BRP Connect. Using a Bluetooth receiver to pipe audio from our Garmin 396, which has an MP3 player, into the RT Aux port. Can't get the Garmin to pair with the RT directly and I hated it paired to the helmet headset on the GL1800. Maybe some day when I have a spare phone with Bluetooth and no SIM I'll try using it for BRPconnect.