Bombardier Can-Am Spyder

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been doing research on the subject trike. There will come a day when I will not be wanting to support a two wheel motorcycle with the exception of the chosen one, my '85 Limited Edition - it's not going anywhere. Lots of good reviews on this style of trike, and my friend who has come to the conclusion that his youth has caught up with him, has purchased one. I may get a chance this Saturday to do a few road miles on it.

I'm also thinking I've got to stop looking at the great deal, but needs a lot of work to get back on the road. I was planning on rebuilding the 1500 engine, and keeping it around for a while, but it is a depreciating asset. I can put the money I would spend on an engine rebuild into a Spyder. I have been thinking that when I hit the big 70, it would be prudent to look for, and buy a Spyder mainly for quality of life. Will still have my '85 Limited Edition for the two wheel thrill.

Don't want to trike the 1500, or an 1800 for that matter. Talked to a company in Coombs, BC regarding this. The base trike unit is about $13K to $15K, but most finished trike conversions come out around the $25K CDN range. Checked this out a few years back when I went to the Biker's Reunion in Ontario. Same story, base unit looks good and inexpensive, but when all was said and done, it was still a $20K bill. Lots of people do this, but not my cup of tea.

Spent 1 1/2 hours at the dealer in Ladysmith, here on the island last year. Lots of good information, and the fellow was very knowledgeable regarding the differences between two and three wheelers. His company loans, or rents these for a weekend because he mentioned that it was not possible to really appreciate the Spyder - whichever model, or not, but a few days riding is the best way to determine if the Spyder is for you.

Maybe it's best to bite the bullet sooner than later.

Question to the collective, who else is having thoughts regarding this.

I think about this often as I get to where I can't even mount my bike at times and this condition can last a long time ..I'm in this condition now ...I feel like I'm broke in half right now ..I couldn't swing my leg over the seat at all right now ...or ever get off if I ever got on it ..what I find is these rides are hydroplaining nightmares that never miss the holes ...the wider the tires the worse they are ..I don't consider them safe at all ...I've seen them spin out rear trikes I'd say are safer in my opinion

I'm right there with you. A touring Spyder seems like the thing in a couple years (I'm 68 now). The 1800 has around 130000 miles on it, but still runs great. Just seems to gain weight each year. I'll keep the Hunley, though. Might still "rescue" GL1000s because I like doing it.

I see a lot of them on the road around here. There must be something to them. Agree riding one for a couple of days would certainly help with the decision. At present I am only 68 so I have a couple years to think about it.

Looks like I'm a youngster here, only 66 - time to do the Route 66 to match! :smilie_happy: Rescuing bikes to flip is not a sound investment, but one must keep busy, and if a person stays in a certain niche, such as the 1000s, or in my case, the likeable '85/'86 fuel injected models, costs can be kept to a dull roar. Getting a Spyder, and having my '85 in good nick, would necessitate a project bike.

I mentioned my friend who just bought one so he could keep riding. He is a fervent rider and bought/sold bikes to suit his fancy, and since he is not into wrenching these bikes were always of the newer vintage. He's an outdoors type so he bought an ATV, but couldn't let it go, so he bought the Spyder. If he stays true to form, thinking he will find something else that he likes better, sell the one he has and the cycle will repeat itself. The Spyder he has is a 2018 pearl white limited edition - the colour is good, and he maintains his toys well. The price he paid is where I would want to be, so maybe it could come into the buying window. The V-Strom I have is going on the market soon, and if a Spyder came into the sight, so would the 1500.

I am 69 , be 70 in May of 2021 . . . So I know what you guys are saying here for sure , I built a 1100 Goldwing trike about 10 years ago , I rode it about 600 miles , but... I never liked it at all , and I sold it . BUT I have rode both versions of the Can-Am Spyder , the 1000 cc is a V Twin , kinda weak and I just never really liked a 2 cyl. motor .... but the later version is a 1,330 cc 3 cyl. and it really Impressed me , and if I had the cash I would have bought it . and might buy one yet . .... just saying .

I talked with a fellow at a local Tim's who was out with his friends for a day ride, everyone was on a Can-Am. The 1000 cc engine was mentioned as a don't buy unless that Can-Am is what you want. The recommended engine was the 1330 cc model. Apparently this larger engine is in all Can-Am since 2014. I would need the Limited Edition with almost all the bells and whistles, because Sonya loves to ride as well.

I'm thinking that a balance between a two wheel and 3 wheel, the two wheel beast doesn't have to be a GW, where you are not stressing the aging bones is a good option going forward. I find the V-Strom 1000 a featherweight compared to the 1500. It'll go as far and I found on my ride across Canada with it, quite comfortably as well, but you still have to put your foot down.

I submit that planning for riding longevity can be just as important as planning for retirement. Maybe we'll see Mr McGovern on a Spyder.

oh, sorry I forgot to say the good and bad as far as for myself , they Handle like a little Sports Car , corner so fast they will slide you off the seat ....... and That in my Opinion is the Bad Part , because you don't lean them like a 2 wheeler , and you have to just hold yourself on it with the legs and knees . I only rode either of the Spyder's maybe 10 miles , but I was thinking at the time , if I had been in the Mountains on real steep turns and a lot of braking , on maybe 200 mile ride , I think they would wear you down pretty easy.... just my thoughts ... But I really did love riding them ,

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221541#p221541:138mga3e said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 11:01 am[/url]":138mga3e]
Maybe we'll see Mr McGovern on a Spyder.

Not till the boat is paid off! :smilie_happy:

BOAT - "break out another thousand", sounds like my '85, but really - what's money but the root of all evil - we all want to be good people so spend, SPend, SPEND!!! :music: :music:

My friend who just bought his Spyder has found another in the area. It is through a friend. 2016, apparently fully loaded, 10K Kms on the clock. Wife has mentioned that since he doesn't ride it that much, time for it to go - the nerve eh what! My friend is determined to spend my money.

To each his own. I'm 70 and drove a buddies Can Am and am not a fan. It felt like it wanted to oversteer. I have a bolt on trike kit on my 1500 and love it. Cost was about $3900 installed. Best money I ever spent to keep riding. Even tow a Runaway camper with it. Like I said, to each his own.

I have looked at the bolt on trike kits. A Canadian distributer is not easy to find and there is definitely not one in my area. There is a trike conversion dealer in Coombs BC. Cannot go south of the border and have a unit installed, many have tried and have not been able to return to Canada with their bike. Seems the sentiment is that yes, you can have a specific conversion kit installed, but it must be done in Canada. Has to do with certification and such, not to mention duty, exchange, taxes. This was explained to me by the dealer in Coombs.

Went on line and queried bolt on motorcycle trike kits. Company in Medicine Hat, Alberta does this, may give a call - similar to the Voyager Trike kit. Would also like to try this setup. He has pics of similar GWs to mine:
Trike Kit.jpg
Trike Kit 2.jpg
It is an option for consideration. One man's elixir is another man's poison.

Keeping an open mind.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221548#p221548:vc9dvm4p said:
Dadster » Yesterday, 10:02 pm[/url]":vc9dvm4p]
That kit does look similar to mine.
Curious what mileage you get from the rear tire?

Talked to a fellow in Brooks Alberta that does a bolt on trike kit similar to the Voyager Trike Kit. Cost is about $3K CDN, not a bad deal. He mentioned that a lot of 1500s coming through his shop. He is also looking at doing a trike kit as well - has one on the go that is going to a fellow in Winnipeg. He mentioned that if I was interested, he could make a unit for my 1500 and since he and the Mrs travel to Nanaimo for family, he would be able to bring it west. Tempting offer. He mentioned that the 1500 is a challenge because the saddlebag doors open outward and because of this, the outrigger wheels have to be out further than he would like. Would like to ride a bike with one of these units attached.

Long day today, up at 0500 and on the road at 0545 to my friends place. Heading to Ladysmith up island to pick up his 2018 Spyder FE Limited. He has just bought it and had the maintenance done, new tires, fluids and has to have a transmission service done.

Got up there at 0900 and he paid the bill - ouch!. He had also mentioned that I would like to test ride one, and they had a 2020 RT Limited ready for me to ride. Nice of my friend to arrange this for me. Went over the switches and such. How to start it is a one button, on key, on brake then push start button. Reverse is a push reverse button and use the downshift paddle and be in neutral. Parking is a push button and wait, but works.

Relatively easy to get used to riding, can't equate it to a two wheel, but can equate it to a snowmobile - same riding technique. Liked the semi-automatic shifting, easy to get used to. The model I rode was a bit soft in the front suspension and did lean in the corners. There is an upgrade to the sway bar you can put on to firm up the front. Don't need to downshift if you don't want to, the transmission shifts by itself. Brakes are quite good - 4 piston Brembo. Needs high test gas. The model I rode has heated seats, always a good thing.

All Can-Ams from 2014 up have the 1330 cc engine.

The wind envelope is not close to that of the GW.

Overall a good experience.

Rode my friends Spyder FE Limited on the way home. It has had the front suspension upgraded and it did not roll as much in the corners. You sit lower on the FE, but there is more plastic in front of you so the wind envelope is much better.

The Spyder is more in tune with the auto industry regarding cornering. Took some 60 KPH corners at around 75 KPH and you have to hang on and lean into the corner. Anyone mentions that the Spyder will out corner two wheels is not well informed.

Just a few thoughts on the Spyder.

My neighbor (has a Spyder) told me today that the Mountain Motorsports Can Am dealer at the Sevierville exit is having a Can Am demo day with the new 2021s next Saturday. THAT is on my calendar!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221554#p221554:1fhdhc0k said:
Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:14 pm[/url]":1fhdhc0k]
Talked to a fellow in Brooks Alberta that does a bolt on trike kit similar to the Voyager Trike Kit. Cost is about $3K CDN, not a bad deal. He mentioned that a lot of 1500s coming through his shop. He is also looking at doing a trike kit as well - has one on the go that is going to a fellow in Winnipeg. He mentioned that if I was interested, he could make a unit for my 1500 and since he and the Mrs travel to Nanaimo for family, he would be able to bring it west. Tempting offer. He mentioned that the 1500 is a challenge because the saddlebag doors open outward and because of this, the outrigger wheels have to be out further than he would like. Would like to ride a bike with one of these units attached.

I do the trike kits also for $3900 and for a while didn't like the non-clearance of the saddle bag lids of the GL1500. We came up with the solution of being able to remove the lid just like the 1200. It still locks and unlocks as usual but it's removed for full access to the storage compartment. This way the outrigger wheels are not splayed too far out and it looks good. You can see mine here

IMG_1373.jpg