Bombardier Can-Am Spyder

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221560#p221560:2wsc8kjx said:
Dadster » Today, 5:02 pm[/url]":2wsc8kjx]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221554#p221554:2wsc8kjx said:
Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:14 pm[/url]":2wsc8kjx]

I do the trike kits also for $3900 and for a while didn't like the non-clearance of the saddle bag lids of the GL1500. We came up with the solution of being able to remove the lid just like the 1200. It still locks and unlocks as usual but it's removed for full access to the storage compartment. This way the outrigger wheels are not splayed too far out and it looks good. You can see mine here

file.php

I was wondering about that.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221559#p221559:cs1ikk5j said:
pidjones » Today, 4:29 pm[/url]":cs1ikk5j]
My neighbor (has a Spyder) told me today that the Mountain Motorsports Can Am dealer at the Sevierville exit is having a Can Am demo day with the new 2021s next Saturday. THAT is on my calendar!

When I mentioned riding like a snowmobile, this was about cornering. The Spyder does lean away from the corner depending on the speed and suspension setup. On a snowmobile you generally hook your foot into/under the front cowling on the side you are turning into, press your thigh against the side of the sled and stay pretty much upright. Same to be done with the Spyder.

I think the 2020 was the new design of the front Spyder cowling. It comes in more sharper than the earlier Spyders. Found that my knee connected with the front cowling, but not my thigh. On the earlier models, the front cowling was faired into the seat plastics much better allowing me to use my knee and thigh to support me in a turn/curve.

Enjoy the demo day. Take out an RT Limited Edition, has heated seats, a good feature.

Not trying to sell my kit but you mentioned the Voyager kit. You lose a lot of ground clearance with a voyager trike kit. I had one on my Suzuki and hung up on a speed bump. They also bounce a lot going down the road. My kit like some others is level with the bike frame and has independent torsion axle suspension making for a really smooth ride. Just my opinion, stay away from the Voyager kit.

Mentioned the Voyager Kit because of the similarities, and most would probably recognize the kit and be able to visualize what it is. Talked to a couple in Michigan in 2015 about this. He had the Voyager kit but it did not stand up to the rigors of the road so he found another unit that was more sturdy. There's lots to consider.

The game is afoot. Brought home my friends 2018 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited so Sonya can have a test ride. She has already warmed up to the idea, and likes the 3 wheel concept. Test ride tomorrow. More I ride the Spyder, the more I realize what has to be done. Have to ride it like a snowmobile, and steering is very sensitive so you need a light touch on the bars. Out in the rain today to ride it home and it was not that bad. Decision's mine, but if Sonya won't ride on it, no need to change horses.

Going to go for coffee tomorrow in Mill Bay and will get some 100K Kms on the test ride. When I return the Spyder, I will have rode it more than my friend.

Still keeping the 1200. Like riding it and having two wheels under me.

Kinda the same, I was hot to try one of the 2018 dual clutch 'wings, but the wife sat on one and said "nope, not comfortable". Taking her with me is 50% of the enjoyment on my '06. Spyder would be similar, but she likes the neighbor's.

I'm thinking that she will like the ride and the safety that 3 wheels give, specifically not having to put the foot down.

Been browsing the web sites regarding these machines and one of the issues I focused on was cost of ownership. Yes, any used vehicle can be expensive to maintain and have work done. Having deep pockets was an expression that kept coming up, and I agree depending on what the issue is. First item to be purchased with on of these is the same as for any used bike, the manual(s). I'm thinking that I can do just about all the maintenance shy of electronics. Oil changes, drive belt, belt tensioner upgrade (if required), spark plugs, brakes and the likes. My brother just bought a 2008 Polaris Turbo snowmobile. Had to take to the dealer because of an error code on the dash that the dealer had never seen either. The dealer did resolve the issue, and all is well now. This is what I foresee for a new to me Spyder, providing I can find one that is in my budget range.

After tomorrow, in comes the V-Strom to get ready for market, then the 1500. Very exciting times.

Lots of great banter on this thread, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention a truism or two to complement everyone's comments. In the immortal words of Jack Nicholson in the movie "The Bucket List", three things to remember when you get older: "never pass up a bathroom, never waste a XXXX-XX (for the gentlemen of course), and never trust a fart". Now we can add, get a three wheeler.

Sonya and I went for a ride up over the Malahat for a bite of lunch. Ride went well, and she enjoyed the ride. I'm doomed, now to get on with the grunt so to speak. Dropped the Spyder off at my friends place, and Sonya and I rode home on the 1500. Good experience because it was back to back within a 1/2 hour of getting off the Spyder. She still likes the GW, but the advantages and health benefits are compelling. Before we got on the 1500 she reminded me that I would have to put my foot down on stops.

I further realized that the Spyder suits my riding style. I like quiet, suitable power so I don't have to shift very often, comfortable for solo and two up touring. The Spyder reminded me of the new GW. It is semi-automatic - manual shift up through the gears - automatic/manual downshifting, has a parking function, lots of suspension and ride modes, reverse, electronic capabilities, and the engine is purported to be good for quite a few miles just to name a few. So as not to get any withdrawals, there is a sufficient amount of plastic to be removed to remind you of the GW.

Still keeping the 1200.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221581#p221581:nkdpbk3s said:
mcgovern61 » 3 minutes ago[/url]":nkdpbk3s]
Sounds like there is a Spyder in your future! :yes:

Had a quick chat with my brother this morning. Fool fell off a ladder putting up a ceiling light, he's a year younger and in way worse physical shape. He's now down for a few days, and had 15 x-rays from head to waist. Quality of life is so precious, so yes, I think so. I do enjoy the two wheel ride and so does Sonya. The 1200 will do just fine in this regard. Just have to find a Spyder that fits the budget. Probably a lot out there, but not advertised for sale. Heard years ago when I was boating in the 1000 Islands that everything's for sale regardless if advertised or not, just need to negotiate a price. Going to look at a 2014 Spyder RT LE tomorrow. Heard about it through the friend network.

Have looked at the Spyder F3 LE as well. Sonya and I were on a 2018 version. It's quite good, but the RT LE is a step up and I'm into creature comforts and get everything I can so I don't have to do aftermarket installs - maintenance and riding is the objective.

Don't mind the look. The Prowler GW front wheel kits are similar in styling. Here's a review of this conversion: https://ridermagazine.com/2017/01/04/mo ... ed-review/ Here's the company web site: https://www.motortrike.com/

Read that Jay Leno bought the first Can-Am to roll off the factory line, and that 100,000 came off in 2015 - started in 2007.

Car tires are the norm for the Spyder. It is designed to tow a trailer, braking system and suspension adjust to having a trailer. Spyder GVW is quite good at Spyder weight plus an additional 500ish lbs - rider/passenger/luggage, and the 400 pound towing capacity.

The electronics on the Spyder does concern me, but this is no different than the new GW, and other bikes such as the BMW - has to be a technician nightmare. The more electronic items installed, the more can go wrong. Not worried about the mechanical.

The sentiment up here is that touring will not be happening this year, so getting used to a new to me three wheeler will fill in the time nicely. Have two bikes to sell, and a kitchen renovation underway. Once all this is done, it will be time to get on with some smaller 1200 projects such as the ECU replacement project, why do I not have a fast idle on the 1200 on a cold start and the likes. Will be discussing the Limited Edition carcass that I bought with my brother and what to remove from it and keep. Always something to keep me busy.

Okay, did the deed, bought a 2014 Spyder RT LE with 9K Kms on the clock. Colour is white and matches my trailer. Have to install passenger arm rests for the Mrs, and need a trailer hitch. Too good to pass on, pick up Friday.

Have a person coming over tomorrow afternoon to look at the V-Strom. Have the 1500 on the bike lift for some work before listing it.

Keeping the 1200. Too nice a bike to let go.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221594#p221594:1lm9f719 said:
Rednaxs60 » Yesterday, 6:29 pm[/url]":1lm9f719]
Thanks. Looking to the future. Since I'm keeping the '85 GW, can I stay on the forum? :BigGrin:
Even if you haven’t ANY Goldwings you’re welcome here.