Brake lite issues.... GL1000's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came to a dead end in a couple other places...... Ya'll need a crack at it I reckon!

the symptoms:

the 75 has running light no brake light when applied.

the 78 has brake light when applied - no running light except when key is turned all the way to the right.

I swapped the bulbs with the same symptoms for each.

I checked fuses - all good.

I swapped rear switches with the same symptoms for each.

The 75 has power to the rear brake switch but switch that was working the brake light in the 78 didn't work the brake light in the 75. weird. power to working switch - no light.

What else? I thought I'd get new bulbs just to rule them out but they work.

Wasn't sure about the front brake light switch on the 75 - didn't see it on the MC.

Is there some linking of the brake lights on the 75?

the 78's running light working when key is turned to the right makes me thing maybe the ign. switch. But the brake light works when brake is applied - front or back.

both bulbs look good - no corrosion.

the 78 has other issues I'll get to later, but for now I'd like to solve the brake light.

the 75 is a runner except for the brake light (???) and the low beam/headlight bulb needs to be changed.

thanks,

:headscratch: Whu?
I'm really confused now.... :hihihi:
Sounds like there may be a ground problem. Most brake lamps work off of a ground...you'll have power AT the switch until the switch is engaged, then the power goes thru the bulb to ground. Even tho the tail light works, that doesn't mean you're not loosing a ground when you hit the brakes.
That's aboot all I got....I had trouble keeping up with which bike had what problem.... :smilie_happy:

thanks....

yeah a little convoluted for sure..... I recently acquired these. they both have the brake light issue.

I guess it would make more sense to post one at a time...my bad.

So check the ground wires....? I'd think to check the one inside the brake light housing - where else should I check...?

thanks AApple

okay pony i agree with joel on the grounds ....but one on the 75 the front brake switch is on the hydrualic lines ...its at the spliter on the forks left side ....the 75 also has the reserve lighting unit on my 77 the lights were doing all kinds of crazy stuff ...when i unplug it and bypassed with jumper wires the light and all started working right so that where you might be too

that unit is on the left side tank cover towards the back and has two rather large hookups to it one big one smaller

AApple":3cl19dvz said:
...I had trouble keeping up with which bike had what problem.... :smilie_happy:
I think it was the '77 that had the headlight problem.......ummmmm....tail light.........I think....... :smilie_happy:
(Sorry Pony.....just funnin ya!) :mrgreen:

:smilie_happy: is right!

You guys got me all confused now.

I think I am going to focus on the 75 first - no brake light and needs new headlight - then I could ride it. Which I forget we're supposed to do eventually....

the 78 has other issues.....

75 has a pressure switch so front brakes need to operate for light come on. Might need to flush and bleed the front brakes.

the whole idea that the low beam dosent work can be the sign that the reserve lighting unit is bad ...it takes three jumper wires about 4" long with female spades on then ....dont ever trust my momory pony pull connectors off and look ....if it were me id just bypass it first instead of going through what i did to figure it out ....i have the by pass hook up and i thinks its on the randakk site too ....i spent days coming to what took minutes to fix :Doh2: :mrgreen:

Finally got around to making up the jumpers and installing them.

Brake light works now, but the low beam on the headlight does not.

I changed out the bulbs/light with two different lights. Nothing.

I reckon it is the switch. And it was probably a bad reserve lighting unit. What do ya think?

no power on low beam/power on high beam. I guess I will check to see if power is actually getting there on low beam.

If the switch is a gonner, what/how do I fix that without getting a whole new unit. Can I just get/install the switch?

thanks

I like a brake lite - I can ride the thing. I can ride with the high beam, but having everything working as it should is the goal.

High low switch is pretty easy to clean and lube. Probably tarnished contacts. Open it up and look.