breather collector

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what the sam hades is a breather collecor and what the heck does it do? got it on my 1000 and am haveing problems with my bike after putting on new coils, spark plug wires , new fuel pump and new fuel filter and lines. idles rough and hit throttle at 70mph and it seems to boog down.

If it ran okay before, go over everything you did, double check that plug wires are on the correct cylinders. If everything else checks, start putting the old stuff back on, (again, if it ran alright before) until you find what isn't right. Also look at the plugs closely to make sure one of the porcelain insulators didn't get cracked during the plug wire R&R. Good luck.

The crankcase breather is on the left side, rear of the engine(by the clutch cover). It's purpose is to take the crankcase vapors, and separate the oil from the vapors, and allow the vapors to be sucked back into the engine to burn. The left-over oil is then stored in the breather can. It does need to be emptied/cleaned as a regular part of service.
I doubt that this has anything to do with how the engine is running, but anything is possible.

click for link
Look at figure 4 for the location of the breather. :mrgreen:

I agree with AApple, the breather collecting system has nothing to do with the problems you are describing. it is merely a system to try to burn off fumes and not allow oil and contaminated oil/moisture to get on the road.

Often the problem when any of us do several things in working on our bike, is that when it then doesn't work right is figuring out which thing is causing the problem.

By "bogging down" do you mean when you give it throttle it just goes thhppppt instead of accelerating? An the bike would zoom instead before? That always suggests to me that you now have a fuel starvation issue. That as you reach 70 mph you are reaching the limit of fuel getting to the carbs, and so you have thhpppt instead of zoom.

also the "idles rough..... lots of things once again come to mind. do you have one or more exhausts staying cooler at startup? do you have spark at all cylinders?

Latest posts