Carb cleaning ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badwench

Reaction score
1980 1100 interstate restore project..
Have ordered and received Randakk's rebuild kit. Have all carbs off and dissembled. I saw where Randakk's recommended you boil them in distilled water and not use any chemical type cleaner.
Was wondering if adding of soap or something to water would help and still not damage the carb? Read Roady's post about using a Honda ( or =) carb dip. What else would you use?

Thanks for any help
Jim

Water is actually a good solvent for a lot of things. I've heard of folks using lemon juice or vinegar but they typically leave a white film that is then cleaned off.Since you already have them apart for boiling I'd try that and have some carb cleaning spray to follow it up. After boiling be sure to use compressed air to clear all the passages and finish drying all the parts. I must warn you if you use lemon juice or vinegar to clean them. Do it outside and downwind of anyone you like. It stinks bad.

Just wanted to say I've found the compressed air to blow through the jets and passages is a step that must be done in carb rebuilding/cleaning.
The compressed air with a rubber tipped nozzle will help clear junk out as well you can feel the air exiting the other end of the jet and carb body passage so you know it's open.

Tks, will be doing that for sure, just know this old bird has been setting up for over 13 years. After disassemble I did not find the carbs to be as gunked up as I expected but still want to ensure all passages are clean and clear.
Have also heard that after soaking to use a water pick to check the passages.
Again TKS
Jim

Water isn't a great solvent for the varnish from evaporated fuel. I've found that soaking (only metallic) parts in carb cleaner or just acetone (primary ingredient in carb cleaner) dissolves the varnish, then compressed air, then boil (or better, ultrasonic cleaner), then compressed air again. You really MUST make sure the .035 pilot jet is open. I use a fine steel guitar string.