changing coils on gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello out there in gw land. i am about to change the coils on my 75 wing and it says take top bolt off the right side and the lower bolt on the left side. i took out air cleaner and the way is clear except can't see the lower left bolt. also there is a (looks like) ceramic piece with a large resistor attached to it. i do have a dyna 3 electronic ign. is that anything to worry about and is there an easy way to get coils out? :?:

that ceramic thing is the ballist resister and yes its important that bolt is there or somebody left it out ......if you have the dyna ignition anyway you ought to get he dyna 3ohm ignition coils ....they are perfectly matched to that ignition and dosnt use the ballist resister and provides better spark a huge upgrade in my opinion thats the way my 1000 is set up and it performs better than the stock ignition by far when the dyna coils are used...... :mrgreen:

no it sounds to me you have the dyna coils ...are they green ....thats the color that dosnt need the ballist resister....mine is the dyna s ignition im not sure what the the dyna three is but i think its newer than mine .....to be on the safe side id call dyna and check with them on your dyna 3 ...im almost possitive you dont need the balist and proably was hurting things some ...but please check with dyna there good with questions when i had them.... :mrgreen:

you are more help than you can believe so thanks. and to answer yes they are green. and i will get with dyna on wheather i need ballast or not. i will keep you informed. plan to start taking out old coils today will take my time as i want to do some other things that need doing. thanks again joedrum

im glad i could help ....just make sure you cover all the ignition ....as in wires and caps ...it seems to be a weak spot with oldwings they need ample spark to run at there best .....the dyna made a night and day difference in my 1000 ..... :mrgreen:

joedrum,
received word from dynatech and the coils i received are the ones that do not require the ballast resisters so as soon as i can get the darn old ones off and the new ones on i will try to remember to let you know how it went, and again thanks for your help.

good news is i got bottom bolt out (was not easy) ready two pull coils from bike. before i do i have a few questions.
1. what do i do with wires that went to the ballast?
2.do the spark plug wires just pull out from the bottom?
3. sense the new coils have spark plug wires go into the top and bottom and not side by side which wires go where?
a drawing would have been nice but can't think of where to get on, checked with dynatek they only have instructions, and i'm old and don't know all the termenolgy. any way any help would be helpful and maybe i can get my bike back on the road before next winter.

1.wires from the ballist just need to be connected

2. wires from the stock 1000 coils are skrewed in and realy not made to replace ...just take the coils out with the wires connected....when you get them out after there out by unskrewing them it anit easy sometimes ....but i would replace them if you had the money there a weak spot after thirty yrs of use.....

3.just make sure you have good access to it all ....1000s can be a pain with the tank shelter and air cleaner .....access is everything in getting it all put together with good connections....

keep going and ask more questions if you need to..... :mrgreen:

thanks ya'll will keep going and your tips are a god sent. will keep you posted as go am going to take as much time to get it right so won't have to do it again.

sorry back again tried to pull plug wires out of coils, they seem to be part of coils. i have new spark plug wires and will use them on new coils. question is can i cut them off at the coils and pull them through the bottom instead of pulling them with the coils? also is the three wires to the coils or two one for each coil?

i dont see why not ...but it might be hard to do that too ....there is no way to unscrew the wires from the coils while in the bike....i always forget that i have many things not on my bike like the fan sheild and air cleaner housing and its easy to get to stuff ...its been a long time ....

anyway you can unscrew the plug caps so theres nothing but wire and pull them with the coils i would think....thats the way i do it ....my 79 was a pain in the butt to get at anything in that area ....seeed like every wire in the bike came to that spot ..... :rant: :mrgreen:

just thought it would be nice to update were i'm at. cut spark plug wires at the coils to get them out and found number one cyclinder wire was burnt, how it was firing at all is beyond me, anyway wires coming out of coils are either two in to four or one wire from each coil into two on the bike going to where i have no idea. plus still have the wires that were on the ballast i have to figue out were they go. anyway not very good a reading schumatics so will have friend come over and look at them. also the electric dia. are for points etc and i have a dyna III electronic ign. anyway will let you know how it goes. am going to take my time to be sure to get it right. thanks for all ya'lls help. will keep y ou posted.

when it had points one set of wires were connected to the condensers that were used in that system ....that are not needed when the dyna is used ....the condensers on a 79 wing are in the left side cover.....im possitive that the ballist resister wires just hook together but i would call dyna to be sure as my memory on this is almost totaly gone.....yea from the sounds of things when this is all right your bike is going to run a whole lot better......but go slow like you mention and get the help from your buddy but dont let him make a dumb move either ..i dont mean that in a bad way ...just be careful ..... :mrgreen:

well joedrum, here is where we are at this time. i checked the coils on the two spare bikes i have and each is wired different, however i think i have figured it out. the two wires that went to the ballast are no longer required so i am going to cap them and then tape them then tuck them out of the way. then the wires coming out of the coils (that go into the four wires into the bike) i will replace with new wires coming from the bottom of the two new coils and run them into were the other wires went into. i hope you understand what i'm saying. also hope i am right in what i am doing. i have not forgotten you and will try to keep you updated.

the two wires that went to the ballast are no longer required so i am going to cap them and then tape them then tuck them out of the way. then the wires coming out of the coils (that go into the four wires into the bike) i will replace with new wires coming from the bottom of the two new coils and run them into were the other wires went into. i hope you understand what i'm saying. also hope i am right in what i am doing. i have not forgotten you and will try to keep you updated.

Lemme try to splain this. Two wires at the ballast were. #1 power supply to the ballast. #2 power out of ballast to supply the coils. If you remove the ballast and tape off the wires. How do you expect power to be supplied to the coils?

Latest posts