Cheating the leaking fork seal...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we need to start rebuilding this section somewhere so I offer the following:

Want to get an extra season or two out of those fork seals before replacing them? Change out your fluid but swap an ounce of the new fork fluid for an ounce of transmission stop leak(the kind meant to work on seals). I suggest if you fill from the top of the forks put that ounce in last, and if you fill from the bottom like I do put that ounce in first.

It works great as a short term fix. :cool:

~O~

I had front fork that leaked. Drained all the fluid. I refilled it with Vololine trans fluid with stop leak . that was about a 1 1/2 ago have not had a problem sense :clapping:

olefart":1czun2nb said:
I had front fork that leaked. Drained all the fluid. I refilled it with Vololine trans fluid with stop leak . that was about a 1 1/2 ago have not had a problem sense :clapping:

:salute: Welcome to the site olefart, So you didnt put any fork oil in it? Just the trans fluid?

Yes sir that was it. when i was rebuilding rear shocks progressive said use atf

i wonder if the atf is any thicker, I need to do that trick to my front forks, They been out of fluid for awhile, ATF sounds alot better then using brake fluid

I believe that atf is 15 wt and fork is the same. its kinda like hydraulic fluid just a little more refind

Also a little trick used by others on a SABMAG group was to take a firm thin piece of plastic sheet (or film negatives) and get it in under the seal and fork and rotate it around the seal in one direction only and then remove.. you also can extend the forks all the way and use a scotchbrite pad (with plenty of liquid) and scrub the debris off the fork traveling area.. like wiper blades... if dirt is there it streaks and smears.. in this case allows leaking of the seals.. then use the atf and stop leak trick to finish it off..

Come on guys, now lets not be chickens about this. My 17 year old daughter changed out the forks seals in both forks in about 10 mins each side! (Not counting the time to remove the wheel, brakes and faring). All told, it took her about an hour to drop the faring, brakes, wheel and forks - change the seals, new oil and back together! :smilie_happy:

(I should probably mention that she also swapped out the 82' engine with the '81 engine in about 6 hours with a little guidance from me!) :music:

Latest posts