choke or lack of it

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady jane

Reaction score
hi,
any body had problems with there choke cable on a gl1200 ?
lady jane's cable does not have enough travel to be able to choke the carbs, the problem i think that is there is to much lost motion under the carbs in the nylon/plastic bushes allowinng the the linkage to collide with the outer cable securing bracket first before moving the outer choke rods at carbs, any help where to or buy these bushes would help as mother honda only sells complete linkages at some cosiderable cost. no wonder lady jane doesn'like starting in the mornings. dave & lady jane

just got my "new" 84 Interstate home on Sunday, Knew there was some kind of running problem seemed like running on three, had already checked for spark so was thinking a crudded up carb. So I drained out the gas and replaced with a 1/2 gallon of 91 octane ethanol free and @ 4/5 oz of ATF looking to do a carb flush. Got out on the road and did about 15/20 miles making a point of running it up in 2nd and dropping off hard to do that vacuum thing. Note this is the first I have ridden this bike since last fall when it seemed to be running on three. This fact was not really an issue when deciding to purchase it .... actually was a swap for a couple of shotguns I no longer use ... so anyway riding it I now realize that she is running on all four smoothly at low rpms; however, kind of floods out under full throttle, was thinking carbs need to be sync'd, for sure, but noticed this thread about "enricher" ... the "choke" cable I have been told is "broken" and you have to manually hold the linkage down on start up, also, the idle is running @1300 as if the choke is still on like my 80/1100 does when I forget to shut down the choke on start up. How do I get into the "enricher" linkage? You say its up front between the 2 front carbs, what do you take the air cleaner box out to get into there? Also got to see where choke linkage is "broken" .... crowe ..... :Egyptian:

theres a bracket there I think that holds the cable and the enricher arm where it hooks is all ...im not sure this is the problem with the carbs ....it sould move back and forth ...ill look at mine more closely when I go out

Funny you should bring up that problrm. :music2: :music2: I have been trying to fix that high idle problem on my 1500 for a couple of months. :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: Replaced several parts, just to elimenate the problem. Checked and lubed cables adjusted them and just about everything I could think of. Just for the H--- of it I sprayed some lube on the throttle mechanism where the throttle cables hook up, idle dropped, :Egyptian: :Egyptian: think I found it. Now to put the 1000 parts back on and take it for a test ride.

done a little more "lookin" seems gotta pull the carb rack to get into choke/enricher assembly .. can't be easy, right!? .... and it would seem accordding to the "while we're at it" logic may as well pull the rack entirely and go over it, maybe a soaking? ... is it only the Cali bikes with the plugged pilot screw for idle/air mix? .... crowe .... :Egyptian:

If it's plugged it's still a virgin. They were plugged at assembly to keep us know nothings from setting them or cleaning. A good cleaning of all passages and jets will likely help a lot. Including those plugged air/fuel mix screws. I do not recommend soaking.

Latest posts