clutch plates

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfrog

Reaction score
the 86 sei sat for ? the clutch plates are stuck. will stall when put in gear. any magic tricks or do I pull the motor? :headscratch:

You can get the plates out w/o pulling the motor. If you got some healthy help you may be able to break them loose rocking the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. I've read of another trick but I can't think of it right now.

Does the master cylinder act like it is releasing the clutch? Make sure M/C is full of fluid. If M/C is empty, fill it and bleed the system before going further.

Add up to 16 oz ATF-III to engine oil. Start engine and let it get up to operating temp. Run for 15-30 minutes, varying RPM from idle to 3000 and back down. Try shifting from neutral to 2nd gear at low RPM only.

Rock bike (as Slabghost said), making sure ignition is OFF. If no luck, let bike set over night and try again next day.

Then you pull the clutch cover and extract the clutch plates. If the plates aren't to blame, get ready to pull the engine.

Remember to change oil & filter before riding on the road due to the ATF in the oil.

Yes good response there. I missed it was the 1200. Be sure the clutch hydraulics are working. Any non synthetic atf can be used.

hmmmmm...get rear wheel off the ground like in center stand ..make sure it going to stay that way ....then you can put running bike in second gear id say at low rpm as suggested and then use rear brake to try and break clutch loose with clutch lever pulled in ....of course that is with hydro clutch lever working as suppose to.....i havnt done this just thought of it ....so be careful in all aspects ...ive never really had this problem many have though ....

I would ride it using the no clutch technique and the shock it in the higher gears ( heavy on throttle, the heavy off throttle) until it frees up providing you have actuating clutch hydraulics.
Check out the video in this post
https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/v ... deo#p75724

That's a skill that i need to acquire, :roll: but not on ANY of my present mounts! :nea: Will need to keep my eyes open for a inexpensive,( can"t you say cheep?) :smilie_happy: smaller, older, & not too many things to do to put right bike. Owner doesn't know how, or doesn't want to tackle the job, & you believe the story he tells along the way about his time owning the bike, & WHY he's willing to part with it! :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160017#p160017:28o3igfx said:
Denver » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:28 am[/url]":28o3igfx]
That's a skill that i need to acquire, :roll: but not on ANY of my present mounts! :nea: Will need to keep my eyes open for a inexpensive,( can"t you say cheep?) :smilie_happy: smaller, older, & not too many things to do to put right bike. Owner doesn't know how, or doesn't want to tackle the job, & you believe the story he tells along the way about his time owning the bike, & WHY he's willing to part with it! :headscratch:
:smilie_happy: Let us know when you find THAT bike! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

i dont think im going out and play in traffic to fix a clutch thats not working ...seems the gamble swings to the wrong side of good sense especially on bike not totally in tune with as rider

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160021#p160021:2mbh3xyc said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:19 am[/url]":2mbh3xyc]
i dont think im going out and play in traffic to fix a clutch thats not working ...seems the gamble swings to the wrong side of good sense especially on bike not totally in tune with as rider
One of the few advantages of the DD, very easy to shock load the drivetrain. It was only a few days ago that I rode the CBR with a clutch that wouldn't dissengage :doh:

Sure will, but please don't hold your breath waiting, :nea: you could get light headed, or dizzy, maybe fall, & get hurt. :crying: Have talked too much, & now people know me all too" well :smilie_happy: Still, it would be a good skill (trick) to pull out of the bag if needed! :good:

thank all of you for some great ideas. If I can sneek away from the honey do list this weekend I will try a few of these ideas. :Egyptian:

Latest posts