Considering buying 1980 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanonsixtysix

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982-1990
Hello Everyone.

After being absent from riding for 24 years I am looking into riding again. I am living on a fixed income so I don't have much money to spend so that limits my options.

That being said, I have found a 1980 Interstate for sale that looks like it might work for me and I would appreciate some input.

This bike was purchased several years ago from someone who let it sit for several years. The current owner used it as a project bike and now several years later that project is complete.

The carbs have been overhauled, all rubber seals have been replaced, fork seals have been replaced, the battery was replaced a year ago, the timing belts have been replaced, and the tires are new.

The bike looks very clean from the pics, it has a lot of chrome, and has all the light bars and saddlebag and trunk rails. He is asking $1,800.00.

What do you all think?

Sounds like a good find. The basics have been taken care of. Project bikes can bring with them a challenge or two. I would ask how the additional wiring was done. Nothing worse than purchasing a bike and having a wiring nightmare.

If everything is working as it should, I would install a new accessory fuse block that has an integrated ground bus. I would then move all add-ons to this fuse box. Have the fuse box powered through a relay.

Have a look at the battery and how many wires are connected to it. Installing a new accessory fuse box can eliminate the need to connect to the battery for power. The fewer connections at the battery the better.

Ask to see how the additional wiring was done. What style of connectors were used?

Check the regulator/rectifier and stator connections. Over time crud/dirt and stuff gets in these. Want these two to be in very good condition.

The wiring on these Gold Wings is good for the intended use and as delivered from the factory. Mechanical issues never bother me, electrical does.

Putting in an accessory fuse box aids in troubleshooting an issue. You can disconnect this fuse box from the system and only have to contend with the bike as the OEM designed and delivered it.

Ask for pictures with the seat off, around the regulator/rectifier, back of the engine, around the battery.

It's what is behind that beautiful exterior that is the difference between needing a six pack or a 24.

All very good advice. I have already addressed all the mechanical things, but have not discussed electrical except for the fact that he put a new battery in it. Thanks for the input and I will take it to heart.

This is so true which is why I am taking my time, doing my homework, and asking lots of questions.

Hello Everyone.

After being absent from riding for 24 years I am looking into riding again. I am living on a fixed income so I don't have much money to spend so that limits my options.

That being said, I have found a 1980 Interstate for sale that looks like it might work for me and I would appreciate some input.

This bike was purchased several years ago from someone who let it sit for several years. The current owner used it as a project bike and now several years later that project is complete.

The carbs have been overhauled, all rubber seals have been replaced, fork seals have been replaced, the battery was replaced a year ago, the timing belts have been replaced, and the tires are new.

The bike looks very clean from the pics, it has a lot of chrome, and has all the light bars and saddlebag and trunk rails. He is asking $1,800.00.

What do you all think?
That sounds fair.

the bike sat for several years. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you will have to not only fix the problems, but also fix the current owners fukkups. after all, if he were a mechanic, he would be riding, or you would! take light in what i say. he is a con/