Coolant tubes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be quite the challenge if the o-rings at the thermostat housing end get stuck and don't come out with the tubes. It is worth a try to pull the tubes, but you are not going to be able to clean the thermostat housing ends before putting new o-rings on the tubes risking tearing your new o-rings. If the current o-rings are leaking, it is well worth it to just pull the carbs and do it right.

Ok I should have changed those things when I rebuilt the carbs and water pump honestly I didn't realize they was built with o-rings I thought they were threaded till I noticed them weeping when cold weather came in

Might be quite the challenge if the o-rings at the thermostat housing end get stuck and don't come out with the tubes. It is worth a try to pull the tubes, but you are not going to be able to clean the thermostat housing ends before putting new o-rings on the tubes risking tearing your new o-rings. If the current o-rings are leaking, it is well worth it to just pull the carbs and do it right.
Do you know the part number or size of orings

I just did it last Spring. It isn't hard.

My GL1000 had a leak from the gasket on the top of the heads at the fitting where the crossover pipes connect. I unbolted the fitting and replaced the gasket, and wiggled the crossover pipe out.
Both o-rings were old and split, so I had to replace them anyway.

I cleaned the inside of the thermostat housing part with a clean rag on a wooden dowel.
Then I wiped the pipes clean, rolled the o-rings on and gave them a light lube with coolant and they slid right together. Don't force it, just gently wiggle it together and the o-rings will stay in place.

I filled the system with clean water to test for leaks, and then drained it all and added coolant/water mix.
No more leaks.

New gaskets for the 90 degree elbows to the heads should be used, also. The cleaning may be difficult but do-able, and is a must as well as IMHO lubricating the o-rings with plumbers grease or a good silicone grease. Also, avoid using Viton - not indicated for this use. Standard Buna is fine. The biggest difficulty for me is getting the bolts for the elbows out of the heads without breaking. Be patient and replace with new if damaged at all.

Latest posts