Correct way to remove badges

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Reaction score
Hello All, this is my first post. I recently purchased a '79 gl1000 and put it straight in the shop for some carb work. Haven't even ridden the thing yet! I can't wait!
So anyway, my question... I did some searches on here but it seems everyone with badge or painting prep questions made it past my first obstacle without needing any assitance. I expect this will be indicative of a level of ignorance that is likely to be my standard mode. I want to paint the bike, so I grabbed the side panels when I took it to the shop so I can work out a step by step on those that I can use on the rest of the bike when I get it back. I was afraid of breaking something (the pin on the badge, or cracking the side panel) if I take the obvious route and just pry the pin clamp washer things (ring clamps?)... after finding nothing on line I figured I was being too cautious (I have a long histroy of inadvertantly breaking things with my hands) and decided to give it a go. Pried 1 off ok, broke the pin off the second one. Ugh. The 1 broken pin should be something I can live with, but I'm not really open to breaking another one.
Can someone give the dumb new guy some pointers on how to get these badges off without tearing anything up?

Great forum, by the way!
Thanks,
Ken

Ken":31wvv32c said:
Hello All, this is my first post. I recently purchased a '79 gl1000 and put it straight in the shop for some carb work. Haven't even ridden the thing yet! I can't wait!
So anyway, my question... I did some searches on here but it seems everyone with badge or painting prep questions made it past my first obstacle without needing any assitance. I expect this will be indicative of a level of ignorance that is likely to be my standard mode. I want to paint the bike, so I grabbed the side panels when I took it to the shop so I can work out a step by step on those that I can use on the rest of the bike when I get it back. I was afraid of breaking something (the pin on the badge, or cracking the side panel) if I take the obvious route and just pry the pin clamp washer things (ring clamps?)... after finding nothing on line I figured I was being too cautious (I have a long histroy of inadvertantly breaking things with my hands) and decided to give it a go. Pried 1 off ok, broke the pin off the second one. Ugh. The 1 broken pin should be something I can live with, but I'm not really open to breaking another one.
Can someone give the dumb new guy some pointers on how to get these badges off without tearing anything up?

Great forum, by the way!
Thanks,
Ken

LOL---every time I paint my side covers I break a pin or two. The only thing that helps after breaking one is to be carefull. The fix is easy with some J B weld and a thin pin or stick. Do not replace these until you are sure you are ok with the color and number of coats.

You can get the rubber things with lock washers from any hardware stores for about 7cents a piece and they will hold the badges nicely tight against the side covers.

Try using small 'pliers' or tweezers and pull straight up, but any repeated bending and the pin will break. Its funny the first one breaks, you learn a little patience, the second one does not break.

Good luck
Simba

Attachments

• emblemsphoto.JPG
    emblemsphoto.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 191
I pry the washer up a little at a time until I can cut it with wire cutters. Those little lock washers are cheap and in almost every auto parts store.

slabghost":1m0vla97 said:
I pry the washer up a little at a time until I can cut it with wire cutters. Those little lock washers are cheap and in almost every auto parts store.

Nice idea--I have to remember this because I get bored with my paint colors once a yr and rarely put the badges back on. But I am thinking of painting my bike flat black after just getting it blue. However, the blue is wearing on me ok now so may keep it for a while.
Simba

First of all, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Secondly, I use a combination of razor blade and carpenters scribe (long pointy screwdriver looking thingy that is used to scribe lines on wood with a real sharp point). I slide two razor blades under the washer and pry up slightly. I then use the scribe to push down the washer one section at a time (loosening the washer) until it just lifts off the pin.

Hello Gerry, earlier you had posted a link for Honda tank badges on ebay. I ordered a set and got them. I am sure they will look fantastic.
Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• b5photo.JPG
    b5photo.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 183
I'm kinda liking that blue now myself. You are right though it did hit me a little wrong first time I saw it. Some white or silver striping might set that off nicely.

I'm with slab on this one, pretty color but needs broken up like he said with some pin stripping or maybe a little two toning.. I with you on ditching the trunk, just doesn't seem to go with the flow of the bike.

Thanks to all for your honest feedback.

The soft leather side bags are very faded but really bring a lot of character to the bike. I have decided for now the bags will stay.

But the new blue is really clashing with the bags. I think a flat black together with the emblems will look nice without 'putting lipstick on a pig'---sometimes less is really more.

The crazy little trunk looked good for about 5 minutes but just does not go with the lines of the bike. This bike is begging to be left alone and just ridden as much as possible. Initially, a lot of throttle was required to cruise at 60MPH. Now the bike wants to go at 75MPH before starting to feel a little stressed. I know with miles she will be cruising at 80-90MPH without a whimper.

Sorry to original thread starter for hijacking.

Simba

Ha simbaboy, no worries... thanks to everyone for the welcome and the advice. I will try the different ideas and hopefullu find something I am comfortable with. I did the oppsosite of your statment, simbaboy, proving it... had success with my first one (tongue stuck out, sweating it) which gave me the confidence to break the second one.
I am going with flat black too. On that note, does anyone have any advice for removing the original pinstriping? I was going to just sand it off, afraid that some mineral spirits or something would maybe compromise the original paint that I will be trying to adhere my paint too? Am I just making up problems?
BTW, I like the blue, it's unique. I agree with the others, though, that it might be less startling with something white breaking up the blue.

Thanks again for all the input.
Ken

Hiya Ken, welcome to the forums.

Wish I'd known the other's tricks on getting the badges off without breaking the pins. When I took mine off to paint them they all broke.
I ended up gluing them back on.
I have some 3M double sided tape I tried but it wouldn't let the badge sit flat.
Someone here has a trick removing the pin striping, it's been posted just can't remember where.

Hi Dan, thanks. I used a mix of advice and personalized... razor blades to get them started and tile snips to grab them and pull them from there. Broke 1 more (on a different panel thankfully) but it was higher up already when I did so I think it may still clamp.

I'll do a search on the pinstripe, you're right I just asked as I was typing, hadn't done a search.

Thanks,
Ken

You have to sand off the gloss anyhow---around pin stripped area I just use more muscle until you see the pinstrip slowly disappearing. After primer coat and a sanding again you will not even know where the pin stripe was.

I am rattle canning using Rustoleum---the blue was 2X Painters Choice which lays very well. The flat black is a different Rustoleum line. What are you planning to use?
Thanks
Simba

Even if you break a pin, I have found the best way to re-attach is using silicone adhesive right where the pin was. That way you can remove it again in the future without tearing up the paint. Silicone will rub off of clearcoat.

I'm using rustoleum also, not at house to see full name but it's a 2x one also. Yes, I originally thought the crackle was the pinstriping but as you say it's the clear coat. Kinda messed up my first one during sanding, some small gouges I couldn't see until spraying it. Used a paint stripping wheel on second one and looks much better. Still no bike for this weekend, so I'll be restripping 1st try to do again. Only so much fun a fella can have with 2 side panels...

Latest posts