Counter weights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they were on the early wings, I've seen pictures of them and I think I understand why they were used. But I'm curious and have to ask, Why are they not on the 1200's, at least not on any of mine. :headscratch:

Are you talking about that 6 pound hunk of steel mounted to the forks where the headlight belongs? ... with the warning label on it?

Attachments

• IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 173
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84622#p84622:hyf7wivt said:
backlander » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 pm[/url]":hyf7wivt]Tycho RVT - yes sir that's the one I'm talking about. :good:

Ok, just checking. I have no idea. I use mine as an ashtray.

They have them on Hondaline fairings as well - Not sure why they are not on the 1200's to be honest I did not notice their absence..!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84643#p84643:2xmq11cc said:
Ansimp » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:21 pm[/url]":2xmq11cc]Is that something that should be run with the Vetter fairings?

Nope... I read somewhere on Craig's site that the weight is NOT needed with his fairing.

Something about steering dynamics - the Honda fairing needs it, but the Vetter doesn't. The Honde fairing is somewhat heavier than the Vetter, lots of physics going on...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84722#p84722:11ccru0s said:
Steve83 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:37 am[/url]":11ccru0s]Something about steering dynamics - the Honda fairing needs it, but the Vetter doesn't. The Honde fairing is somewhat heavier than the Vetter, lots of physics going on...

But the weight is on the Forks not on the Fairing - what about weight differences in riders, could be (+ -) 100lbs? wouldn't that overcome anything this little 8 lb block would produce?

I think the weight was a bad idea and someone figured it out in 83. Would be interesting to get the real story on it tho.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84753#p84753:1se9qqh5 said:
joedrum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:21 am[/url]":1se9qqh5]its 3lbs and is a joke ... I get a kick out some of the dumb stuff done ...
3 lbs Joe?
I weighed mine on the 83 is 8 lbs.
Did they put different ones on?

Here's what I have gleaned from research on the subject. The weight was used on Honda fairings through 1983. In 1984 Honda supposedly inserted weights into the hollow ends of the handlebars. I'll try to verify that later today by looking at one of mine. Honda was experiencing front wheel lift due to the aerodynamic design of the fairing and at speed the front tire would begin to wobble side to side, sometimes resulting in the dreaded tank slapping of the handlebars. The tire/wheel while slicing through the air would oscilate side to side setting up the vibrational frequency of the front end. In 1984 with the addition of the handlebar end weights and the change to the aerodynamic design changes on the fairing, the large counterweight was no longer needed. I have experienced a near tank slapper at approximately 50 mph on my 86 model and it will make you want to get off and walk home. I never could pinpoint the exact cause of it but figured it was a combination of tire inflation, tire wear and road conditions.

I just checked my 84 and 85 and they have the handle bar end weights in them and the weights are shown as part # 11 on the parts fische so I guess there's some truth to that info. I'm having a hard time seeing much difference in the shape of the fairings between 80-83 and the 84-87 models but then again it doesn't take but a variance of a few degrees to make a huge difference in aero downforce on the suspension, front or rear. It might not be readily noticeable to the naked eye.

I think that since it's attached to the forks, it acts like a steering damper. At higher speeds it will tend to want to travel in a straight line, minimizing any fork oscillation or wobbles. That's why it's called an inertia weight.

Latest posts