Counter weights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm...I wonder if the '74 750 four cyl. needed an enertia damper. in about 1978 I ran mine up through the gears pretty hard and just as I was shifting into high gear, I looked down and saw 90 MPH and decided that was enough. I just dumped the throttle and had a violent high speed wobble. It didn't last long, once to the left and all the way to the stop to the right and flipped. I measured from the first gouge in the pavement where something dug in to where the bike stopped. It slid 351 ft. I didn't slide quite that far but much farther than I wanted to. The lower set of points were ground completly off but the thing started up on two cylinders and I made a slow, trembling ride home. None of the local Honda shops had heard of the 750's having a high speed wobble and I checked everything they suggested but found nothing wrong. Me and that bike never saw more than 60 MPH again! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84783#p84783:1npo56wp said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm[/url]":1npo56wp]Soooo......Craig Vetter DID design a more efficient fairing than Honda?? :heat: :eek:k:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I am certain someone will) but didn't Craig Vetter make the hondaline fairings as well? Pretty sure Honda came out with those suitcases and Vetter made their hondaline fairings. ..

Not sure if 8 lbs would amount to a hill of beans and the counter weights in the handlebars are even less. i think Dan hit it on the head just fill the hole with something ..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84820#p84820:1uvvnz8d said:
joedrum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm[/url]":1uvvnz8d]im with the hill of beans
:smilie_happy:

I don't know, but 8 pounds going 60 MPH is going to want to keep goin' in the same direction. Anyone ridden an Interstate or Aspy without the weight and with the fairing at high speed?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84783#p84783:2t224tcs said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm[/url]":2t224tcs]Soooo......Craig Vetter DID design a more efficient fairing than Honda?? :heat: :eek:k:

I for one like the Vetter better than the Honda line, but I am biased.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84833#p84833:3q0tab1f said:
Steve83 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:15 pm[/url]":3q0tab1f]I don't know, but 8 pounds going 60 MPH is going to want to keep goin' in the same direction. Anyone ridden an Interstate or Aspy without the weight and with the fairing at high speed?

My Interstate is a 1200 only weight is me and that is substantial, but I had er going 150-kph yesterday (about 90 mph) - no bounce no wobble no lift. (no wife slapping the side of my helmet)
I LOVE MY NEW PIRELLI'S

I know the service manual says not to remove it. One morning on my way to work I ran over something in the road. It was dark so didn't see what it was, the bike started a nasty wobble. I was approaching a left hand corner and pushed the left handle bar down hard and the wobble stopped immediately. It wasn't a tank slapping wobble but enough to scare the heck out of me. I was traveling about sixty five mph at the time, I don't know if forcing the left bar down corrected the wobble or it the bike corrected on it's own.
I talked to a guy that races bikes and he said that forcing her to turn is most likely what stopped to wobble. I'm wondering if anyone else knows if there is a actual recommended procedure to stop a high speed wobble because hitting the ground at speed normally hurts.

Hmmmm.....I am going to have to add that my bike with the Vetter fairing and Hondaline bags and trunk has been up to 90 MPH sustained (or possible higher :hihihi: ) with no instances of high speed wobble anywhere in the spectrum.

Mine is a 1980 standard , with all Interstate stuff on it , when I first got it , it was Plain Jane White , I took it all apart and painted it , and that weight was just kinda hanging on my forks ... I had no idea what it was , so I took it off.. and throwed it in the corner .... I put a little over 8,000 miles on it as a 2 wheeler , and have had it well over 100 mph , several times .... I never had any steering problem , or high speed wobble . and when I put it all back together this time as a Trike , I'm not gonna put that thing on there . :popcorn: