Couple of Questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
First off is that I am going to change my old water pump. My question is should the impeller fan move freely? I have the cover off of it (still will need to take the entire front cover off) and was just wondering if the fan should be rotating?

The reason I am changing the water pump is, one it is old, and two the bike got very hot at the end of the riding season due to the fan sensor did not turn the fan on. The left side started to steam badly and I have changed the head gasket. I have since by-passed the sensor so I can turn on the fan with a toggle switch. Since the radiator is off figured I would change the pump too.

I am having a problem putting the timing belt back on. I set the timing mark to T1 and the right side UP is straight up and the marks match. But I cannot turn the right side to the point it matches the marks without one of the exhaust valves hitting. I go very slowly when I do this because in the past I have bent valves.

I have turned the motor around multiple times and it is still stopping me from turning the cam. Any pointers are welcome.

First the pump is driven internally so no it shouldn't turn easily. I don't recall the timing procedure just now but it's in the gallery.

Do you have the right side cam wheel indexed to the correct mark? There are two marks and it easy to line it up to the wrong mark and think you have it correct.

I made a mistake trying to explain which pulley I am having problems with. The left side head is the one I changed the gasket on. I left the belt on the right side and it is lined up perfectly at T1. Now, to align the left side and when I do the valve hits. It really should turn freely so it can be aligned correctly to put the belt on. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

hmmmmmm ...ok ..do you have plugs out ...i useally do as it makes it eaier to turn by hand ...i always use the crank bolt to turn by hand ....do you have the valve adjuster loosen all the way and lock nuts snug back up so they come completely off ...this makes it turn even easier by hand ....first thin id do is from the t1 position id turn the crank 90degrees ..this will sink all pistons haft way down ....then i would turn the can pulley on belt off side and see if it turns free except for valve spring pressure...if that good then turn to where the up sign on the pulley is on the up side ...it will be just short of strait up but getting there ...as the valve spring pressure keeps it from getting there ...now put the motor on t1 position again ....the belt on this side is the hardest to put on as the valve spring pressure always wants to keep the belt from staying on the mark.....me personally ive always use a wrench on the cam pulley belt and hold it on the mark and put the belt on one handed with idler pulley dam loosen so much it about falls off ...1200s can be so hard to do that i have a sissors jack on the wrench on the the cam pulley so it stays perfect and be able to put the belt on with two hands ...when done like this its really very easy to put belt on and line up with mark easy ...

once belt is on and idler screwed in flat ..check t1 mark on motor and mark on both cam pulleys and turn by hand to check for no hitting ...if its hitting still something wrong ..especially with adjust loose ....like a bent valve ...but if all things look good ...turn crank to a free spot where cam is not under any spring pressure and adjust idler pulley tension ...me i make belt taught with about 1/4" deflection and tighten idler up ....id also put other belt in free spot and tension it just like the other on so motor nice and taught the same on both sides ..this will make the motor actually run at its best ...hope this helps you...

oh adjust the valves as last thing LOL :smilie_happy: you ca do this with loosening the valves up ..just more tension to deal with ...

I do have the plugs out. I was hoping to be able to get the belts on without having to readjust the valves but that may not be feasible. I am a bit challenge with the feeler gauge. I will go through this and see how it goes. Thanks Joe

To clarify, right side looking at the front of the engine, or right side of the motorcycle? In this view, it is the right side of the bike/engine.

image.php

Which index mark do you have it lined up to?

67checktiming7.jpg

It is easy to index the cam wheel to the wrong mark and bad things can happen. I was lucky... it just made a little bit of noise.

One tip I haven't seen mentioned, put a socket through a hole in the pulley and clamp it to the belt cover backing plate with the pulley in the correct position. Now you aren't fighting spring pressure and parts will hold still while installing the belt and adjusting the tensioner and checking to see the marks haven't slipped! Just be sure to have the belt on the clamp before installing...you'll know quickly what I mean if you don't.
As for feeler gauge confidence, just keep checking with the size above and below the desired size until you are talking to yourself about how it couldn't possibly be off now!

All part of the adventure.

Latest posts