decision on carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok all ya'll know about my changing of coils, sprark plug wires, fuel pump and fuel filter. well now i would like to your opinon on this, i have a 75 wing with a 79 engine on the bike now are 81 1100 carbs and the set i took off were 75 carbs. i want to have carbs rebuilt by a professional and need to know if it is better to have the 75's or the 81's done or try and find carbs for a 79. i am told the 75-77 engine is just a little different than the 78-79. need help pls.

Have you tried running a few tanks of fuel with Techron or Seafoam? From all I've read the 1100 carbs worked better than the 1000 carbs. What issues are you trying to resolve?

You checked for vacuum leaks and found none right? It is possible you have one float level off a bit but doubtful. Try this with a liberal amount of seafoam in the fuel. Run you bike up to a higher RPM just a bit above where you would normally shift then close the throttle and coast down. Then do the same again at least another 3 or 4 times. This forces the carbs to operate the low speed jets at the highest vacuum for longer than normal periods and will often clear a gummed up jet. It seems a little extreme to rebuild carbs for want of one clean jet. However if it does get to a rebuild I'd go with the 1100 rack.

Once you get the jets cleared and it's idling right you may want to get the mix screws set. Procedure is to set idle at 1000 rpm. Adjust air mix on the first carb to highest rpm. Reset idle to 1000rpm and adjust the next carb. And the next until you've adjusted all four twice. Each carb is affected by the others so twice is best. Afterward you can adjust synch. Then you should be getting the best performance from your carbs.

You may want to check your fuel pump , before going further. As to which carbs, lots of opinions. The best would be to swap for some carbs for the year of your bike. I think the 1100 carbs would match your cam profiles closer than the 75 carbs. The 75 could dump more fuel in aat wot, but with the cams you have it probably wouldn't help.

ekvh have replaced the fuel pump with a new one and think i will keep the 1100's i lose a little on low end but gain a lot on the high end which is great for hwy running.

Once the carbs are clean and adjusted. You may find you have great performance at both bottom and top ends. Top end falling flat and starting difficulty may be ignition timing.

okay your looking for opinions ive got some ....the 78-79 1000 short blocks are the best for the 1000 series i guess i sould say block and heads ekvh is right the 75 carbs are way to much for the 79 cam grind ....even with the 75-77 cams the 75 carbs in good condition on a 1000 motor seem to sputter a lot in both cases id go withe 1100 carbs....

ok thanks all i am going to stay with the 1100 carbs and before i start to sync them and do the procedure for air mix etc. i started it today and it pops and backfires out of the left bank only and it does it up to and including 2k rpm not sure about higher rpm. this is without a load on it just running in the driveway. any hints would be good.

I don't know the history of your bike but if it's been sitting for a while or not run much definately try slabghost's recommendation.
My bike was parked for a while before I bought it. It ran and idled ok but had a rough cold idle. Even though it was recommended to me to run a couple of tanks of fuel through it before I did anything I couldn't wait for spring so I did a carb sync and set the idle jets in winter. Now that I've been riding it a bit with fuel system cleaners in the gas I'll have to do the carb sync and idle adjust all over again. It changed/cleaned up that much just by driving it. Might save you some work.

just a quick update ran atf and seafoam took bike out today revved high rpm and backed off. long story short the bike runs like new i think it runs smoother than a 1800 but that is just me. it runs great will take it out for a long ride saturday morning and let ya'll know how it went. so i want to thank all those that helped me make a decision on what carbs to use. i believe the 1100 carbs work fine. later

Latest posts