Developed engine knock...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingonawing

Reaction score
Being new here, I was looking forward to using the forum to get to know the GW by reading, but it appears I have developed an opportunity to interact. Two weeks ago I bought an '83 GL1100 GW Apsencade. She was a little rough from sitting for a while, but cleaned up nicely! I did the usual checking the rubber bits, replacing all the fluids and filters, and rolled around close to town for a couple of hundred miles. She seemed fine. The only issue I observed was that when changing the oil, I found the oil filter positioning spring in the wrong position, likely resulting in oil not being filtered properly. It was on the engine side of the filter and just fell out on removal of the filter housing.

Last weekend, I did an 800 mile loop from the Atlanta area down into central Florida. No problems. Great ride, and sufficient to fall in love with the 'ol girl.

Yesterday I took her out on what was to be a 600-800 mile roll around from Atlanta to Savannah to Gainsville area, then return home. About 20 miles out from Savannah, I noticed a change in the engine sound, then the oil light came on and went off a couple of times. I gently rolled off the interstate to the closest gas station. I found the oil down 2.5 quarts. Topped off the oil, but the dreaded noise persisted. JEEZ! Heart broken! Should have watched the oil level better, even though there was no sign of oil burning, or leaking.

The sound appears to be coming from the forward aspect of the right side of the engine. It sounds metallic, like a louder than normal push rod noise. Knowing that the engine was in real trouble, I decided to turn around and try to make it home. Yes, I understand that more damage may occur, but it seemed I would be replacing the engine anyway. I observed that the noise would go away at about 4500-5000 rpms, so I held it as close to that range as possible on the 200 mile ride home. Made it without issue.

The engine runs well, but on acceleration or engine strain due to a prolonged upward grade on the interstate, the sound is exaggerated. The noise could be described as a 'knocking' noise. My first impression was that it was a rod about to let loose, but now I would have to say it is a bearing going bad. I should say that I was a medical guy, not computer guy with very limited mechanical experience. I have rebuilt GL500 engines, but am certainly NO expert. ;-)

Oh, yeah! Mileage? The odometer appears to have stopped at 105,xxx, I high mileage, but specifically unknown.
Now for the questions...

What would be the educated guesses on what the issue is?
Is this likely repairable, or should I replace the engine?
Perhaps I need to buy another, and have this as a PRETTY parts bike?
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your offerings.

hmmmmm ..well this isnt a very good story ...2 1/2 quarts down is a lot ....and with no sign of burning or leak ...sheesh may have been all in the rear cover clutch area ....but it sure seems the motor got hurt ...id say a motor change is a good ideal ...maybe you can make a vid of it running ..truth is it will probably run like this a long time ....

Sorry to hear about your problem! Serious motor issues are rare, unless subjected to some real abuse. :yes: Check valve clearance, then the compression,to see if it's something simple, :yes: maybe you have an unnoticed leak :beg:

Burning 2 1/2 quarts after oil change seems very excessive like it should be fogging mosquitoes out the exhaust.
It only holds 3.4 quarts. Sounds like someone cooked/spun a bearing and needs a donor engine. Oldwrench has a thread on here selling parts. One item is an 83 engine with a bad head.

Went out for a short ride. Ran with the RPMs up a little to exaggerate noise hoping to catch it on video.

[video]https://youtu.be/iRoatLfmOHE[/video]

Thoughts?

Sure sounds like a rod knock to me, luckily these motors are everywhere, check your craigslist,ebay for local pickup rebuilding is possible but bearings are not available new easier to find a runner to replace it with.

yep its hurt ....and it will run that way awhile ...just makes you sick ...with the miles it had ..im sure it just couldnt handle the condition it was in at the moment ....id look for a 83 motor or a 1200 84 yr motor ....and ride as is till i found one ...me being me id try and fine 84 1200 motor ..there just about the same motor with the 1200 improvments ...then is mod the 1200 to a move power parts switching motor like my bike is ..then it would be flyingonwing for real :rocks:

Awful luck on your entry to the Gold Wing journey! :head bang: Joe is on the mark if the motor is trashed, the 84, 1200, is your best option. This could turn around for you. :eek:k: Been watching & waiting for an owner, who just wants to get rid of a bike like this for a while, to turn into a 1200 standard. :roll: The fake gas tank is the biggest reason, things are much more basic, as far as the way fairing, trunk, & bags are fitted to the bike. :read: Swing arm back will bolt up, as well as the front end's, :yes: then you have a close copy of the 84 standard, last of a kind. :party:

Could be rod knock EXCEPT, it seems like it is constant. That would lead me to lean towards a valve or rocker issue like a broken inner spring (Being hopeful here).

My '81 engine had worn out bearings and significant rod knock. The good and bad is, I rode that way for nearly two years before we figured out exactly what it was. The bad is, my rod bearings were most likely washed out by running with gasoline in the oil from my leaking carbs.

Have a listen and see if it matches yours. Also, please note that my knock is not constant:

Loud rapping noise that shows up above 3000 RPM:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa7J6SBjGdc[/video]

Tracked it down with no load on the engine in this video (listen at 0:45 seconds and 1:03 seconds):
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3s5rq7kfk[/video]

Whole thread on that engine:
viewtopic.php?p=56923#p56923

Thank mcgovern61! I found and reviewed that thread yesterday. Very insightful. I will take the bike out in a few minutes and do more evaluation. Yesterday when I did the short video, the bike started up and ran quietly, relatively speaking. The noise definitely is exaggerated after the bike warms up. Additionally, the knock is definitely more pronounced on engine strain from acceleration or climbing a hill on the interstate. I will get a new video across a better RPM span and try to glean a little more detail about the issue.