Dip stick tube oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I had so much oil coating the bottom of my engine from the after market filter cup, I never thought about the dip stick tube. I put a stock filter set up on it and it's much better, but not dry. I'm getting just a couple of drops overnight. I wiped the surfaces down after changing the oil, but I can't get it tight enough to stop altogether. Does the plastic need replacing? Is my setup aftermarket, like everything else on this bike? Thanx, Dave

Take a pic of the dipstick you have. There are 3 types out there and some perform better than others (as far as dripping is concerned).

DSC02846.JPG

Aftermarket dipstick, potentially homemade? The washer behind the bolt head is not going to seal and the washer against the oil pan might not seal well. It looks like there is a slight angle to the tube. In order to seal, it has to be perfectly straight. Also, with the pipe being that long, vibration alone will cause it to bounce ever so slightly causing it to leak. Lastly, dissimilar metals. The pipe is steel, but the block is aluminum. They expand at different rates when heated with the steel taking longer. That will cause a small gap between the washer at the oil pan to develop until the pipe reaches full expansion. Overall, that dipstick is not a good design. Here is an example of a custom dipstick that solves these issues. (Ignore the drip showing in the 1st picture, I had just installed the dipstick after an oil change.)

There are two copper crush washers (same as the original oil pan plug) that expand correctly with the heat changes. Notice the smaller profile than the pipe on yours. This dipstick was made by John over at Wingovations on limited production for about $75 plus shipping back in 2018. I might still have it in my box of goodies left after I sold the Slug. I had removed it to repaint the engine when I was putting the bike up for sale and had forgotten to reinstall before adding the oil back in. Too lazy to drain the oil and reinstall the dipstick plus the bike was being sold.

I think I also have one of the other aftermarket dipsticks from JC Whitney from back in the day.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

Do you really need a dipstick?
Ever need to add oil, between changes?
Have never needed to add oil, in ANY of my bikes, or cars myself.

The first dipstick ($75) is the better choice. The 2nd one is the JC Whitney version and it is a pain because you have to remove it each time you change the oil which sets you up for leaks. The 1st one actually has a drain plug.

Do you really need a dipstick?
Ever need to add oil, between changes?
Have never needed to add oil, in ANY of my bikes, or cars myself.
Dan, I do add a pint now and then because of the leak and possibly because of the puff of smoke on cold starts. I would I know my oil level without one? Thanx, Dave

Dan, I do add a pint now and then because of the leak and possibly because of the puff of smoke on cold starts. I would I know my oil level without one? Thanx, Dave
Well, while on the center stand, you can check the oil level window. When I kept my oil level right at the wiper screw level, it never went down afterward. The dipstick just helps if you don't feel like crawling around on the ground to check the oil level window. When I put the '83 engine into the Slug it was a better oil window. The '83 has the circle for a window instead of the small oblong one on the earlier models.

This is my '83 engine right after I got it. Take a look at the bottom left side and you can see a circle with a screw in the middle. On the older 1100's, it is in the same place, but it is an oblong up and down oval and a bit harder to see. Either way, all of the 1100 engines have a screw in the middle of the window that is attached to a wiper on the back side of the glass. Using a small screwdriver, you can turn the wiper to clear the glass. On the '83 engine, the normal level is right at or slightly above the screw while the bike is on the centerstand.
DSC01287.JPG

I followed Gerry's advise in post #9 and it work out perfectly (eventually). I'm still getting droplets on the chrome side guard that could be either oil or gas. I'll have to take a look at the fuel pump (sometime). Thanx, Dave

After living with the swap for a week, I'm still leaking oil. It doesn't appear to be at the drain port, but maybe the block gaskets. Do these start to leak after 40 years. If so, I'll have to live with it. As an aside, I'll give away my old dip stick set up for the cost of shipping. It may or may not have been leaking also, but there doesn't appear to be much improvement in my problem. Thanx, Dave

Best thing to do is to fully degrease the oil from the engine. Then take a short trip to see if oil shows up. Follow the oil upwards and backwards to locate the origin.