DIY Video's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Was looking for a vid on how to take the radio/CB out of the fairing on my 82 Asppy, looked thru the forums on here but didn't see one or missed it if it's there. Been having radio problems for some time now, no volume(very weak) on FM but lots of volume on AM, use to just listen to the CB but it's gotten really bad on reception, thinkin maybe these problems are related with a bad ground ?? The cassete player was keeping the wife and I happy and entertained but now it's not working either it fast forwards and does rewind, just wont play and the wife is getting edgy about just listening to the wind :party: . I'm kinda afraid to just start ripping things apart without a little information.
Thanks in advance
Winger 82

You can not get a vid of it because all you would see is an arm sticking in the turn signal of the fairing.
I have the same problem with mine. I drove over to sierra electronics and they told me the tuner needs to be recalculated for the fm. Apparently these dinosaurs need attention from time to time.

They said amp needs that attention also.

Take the left side pocket out. The amp will be the piece where 5 plugs are at. They each have a clip on it. You need to squeeze the bottom of the plug to get it out of the tuner. DON'T just try to pull them out.

The tuner is under the right side pocket. When pulling the wires out, be aware weather the wires go above or below the headlight.

Call sierra electronics and talk to Jeff who works on these radios. He will confirm if I am correct on your problem.

I am assuming you looked up the install instructions for the radio?? At top of this page click on "tech ref". Since you have the cb you have a clarion ll.

Keep us posted as others have the same problem.

Sierra Elect... https://www.sierra-mc.com/

Hers is a link to a helpful page for other problems.
https://goldwingdocs.com/How-To-Article ... 9eece47ed6

Thanks for the reply, so the radio and amp are accessable thru the turn signals ? I do have a right side storage, but the cassette player is on the left side and can't seem to get the key to unlock it to remove it from the fairing, have to check with the local locksmith on that issue. You said you drove over to Sierra ? Where might they be located ?
Thanks Winger 82 :hi: :hi: :hi:

Sierra is located in Troy Oh. Along I-75 near the Ind border.
Take the left radio controller out, the buttons. I mean take the screws out and pull the whole unit out. NOT using the key. You may be able to get to the lock for the cassette thru that space. Once out look at the lock on the cassette. It will have a number on it. That is the key number you need for future needs.
You will need to get the cassette out to get to the amp. Take the screws out around the cassette and you may be able to pull the whole unit out. Then you can try to unlock it from it's case.
The plugs are all color coded so no need to mark which wire goes where when you put it back together.