Dodge Neon coil help!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
HOPEFULLY someone will reply because I don’t want to mess this up ha! Working on a 1985 GL1200 Interstate

The way I see it on the diagram of the coil pack (speaking directly using the one below), if the coils are facing you right side up the plug in sits on the right side of the coil; three wires on that plug. First wire on the right side is for plugs 1 and 4 then the center which shows on my diagram as battery voltage; the third wire would be to plugs 2 and 3

SO - the harness wire going to plugs 1 and 4 should be the Yellow/Blue which plugs into the positive side of stock coil number 1; the Blue/White would go to the harness wire for Coils 2 and 3; SO - if that is right then that leaves the two black wires which connect on the negative terminals of the stock coils which should be soldered together and go to the center of the plug which in the diagram shows battery voltage. Does that sound even remotely correct?!

Secondly - the coilpack I’ve got came off a 2002 2.4L Neon at a junkyard; resistance tested well within spec which is why I snagged it. HOWEVER it wasn’t hooked up in the car so in this picture it shows the number one coil is on the far left...is this an accurate depiction on how it should be wired into the bike?

I sincerely appreciate ANY advice as I don’t wanna mess this up!
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought black wires were hot on hondas.

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

Black wire is switch hot wire I’m thinking going to the center at battery voltage...hmmm I’m not sure here I’ve never done the neon. Coil set up ..let’s get more info on this ..sheesh what’s the guys that came up with this mod

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210500#p210500:24g174co said:
joedrum » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm[/url]":24g174co]
Black wire is switch hot wire I’m thinking going to the center at battery voltage...hmmm I’m not sure here I’ve never done the neon. Coil set up ..let’s get more info on this ..sheesh what’s the guys that came up with this mod

Dave0430 on the Sauders site I believe. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...neon-coil-alternative-gl1000-1100-1200-a.html

brianinpa":10n02y4d said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210500#p210500:10n02y4d said:
joedrum » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm[/url]":10n02y4d]

Dave0430 on the Sauders site I believe. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...neon-coil-alternative-gl1000-1100-1200-a.html

I actually sent him a message - there’s a bit of a difference between how these are hooked up on the 1100’s versus the 1200’s and that’s where I’m stuck ha! I THINK I’ve got it but I’m waiting to see if Dave replies to confirm. Once I have that information I’m going to do a very thorough write up on the wiring and so forth with the 1200’s to make sure others know what to do
Nate

I THINK I’ve got it situated; If I can get this wired up correctly and it runs I’m going to drop a “wiring a coilpack for a Neon to the GL1200 for dummies” guide I swear to it! It’s likely not as complex as I’m making it out to be either ha!
Nate

I’m sure it’s not complicated either ...the big deal is where it will actually work on 1200 systems ...seems to me neon coils if I remember right did not work on 1000 bikes ..but did on 1100 bikes ..hoping it all works out

Since cylinders 1&2 fire together and 3&4 on '85. Then I'd think just remark the "new" Neo coils to match i.e mark(so you don't forget later) the Neon 1&4 coil 1&2 and make the HT leads go to cylinders 1&2. So the trigger wire for 1&2 is Y/Bu and the 3&4 trigger is Bu/Y according to my OEM service manual. The Bl/W is the 12V source for both coils coming from fuse 4(ignition via the kill sw). Does seem simple enough. Did I get that right? :)

OldCrow":38y7bcsn said:
Since cylinders 1&2 fire together and 3&4 on '85. Then I'd think just remark the "new" Neo coils to match i.e mark(so you don't forget later) the Neon 1&4 coil 1&2 and make the HT leads go to cylinders 1&2. So the trigger wire for 1&2 is Y/Bu and the 3&4 trigger is Bu/Y according to my OEM service manual. The Bl/W is the 12V source for both coils coming from fuse 4(ignition via the kill sw). Does seem simple enough. Did I get that right? :)

Yup - got it installed and working then found my starter was cooked ha! We shall see what happens when I get my new starter

If I may revive this for a minute,since im doing this on an 1100,am I correct in thinking 1&4 fire together and 2&3 fire together?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Once I put the neocoils on, I regapped the plugs to 35 thousandths. Still doing great and just finished over 1500 miles round trip. Never missed a beat!! 🙃

I've only got about 50K on my Neon setup, Iridium plugs gaped at 35, if I run 75-80 mph a little over 40mpg, if I run 85-90 just under 40, I have an oversize wind screen and run on the TX Toll ways.