Drag Specialties GL1200 backrest

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Kawasaki Concours
1975 Honda GL1000
Has anyone here used one on a long trip and does this look complete enough to mount? Since the rust is underneath the seat some rust converter with chrome spray paint should make it serviceable me thinks.
honda gl 1200 backrest.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304886822466

I could not ride without my backrest. While not a Drag Specialties backrest, on road trips it makes all the difference in the world! The only issue I ever heard with the Drag Specialties back rest is the mounting makes you straddle a bit wider when coming to a stop and trying to plant your feet down.

IMG_1067.JPG

I could not ride without my backrest. While not a Drag Specialties backrest, on road trips it makes all the difference in the world! The only issue I ever heard with the Drag Specialties back rest is the mounting makes you straddle a bit wider when coming to a stop and trying to plant your feet down.

View attachment 49387
That is a sweet ride 👍

I have a different Drag Specialties backrest (see my photos) on my '81 and can't imagine life without it.
Do you see anything missing in the ebay listing that can't be replaced with store bought hardware? Thanks for the tip to check your photos btw. Another question, I read a post by more than one that complained about the backrest being too far leaned back, was this a problem for you and if so did you fill the tube with sand and bend it against a tree as suggested?

Well I pulled the trigger on this thanks for the helpful replies. I'll update this with an after installation report.

Well I put it on and it doesn't lock into the upright position, flops backwards fine. Is there a method to lock it up I'm missing or is it broke?

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_040459.jpg
    IMG_20230425_040459.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
If I am looking at your picture correctly, it is not installed correctly. Take a look at the original picture you posted in the 1st post. When the backrest is installed correctly, when it is in the rear position, it should be resting in the down position (unable to fold/roll back). It should only flip forward to allow your passenger easy access to the back seat.

If I am looking at your picture correctly, it is not installed correctly. Take a look at the original picture you posted in the 1st post. When the backrest is installed correctly, when it is in the rear position, it should be resting in the down position (unable to fold/roll back). It should only flip forward to allow your passenger easy access to the back seat.
I quickly put it on the bike this morning before heading to work, the backrest is facing forward. Will check it out this evening.
Edit: Searched for another one and the bow goes forward on it with the backrest forward too.
Edit edit: Going to try turning the rotating mounts 180 degrees then try I bet that's it and hopefully this was a stupid error on my part

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-25-10-35-42-402.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-25-10-35-42-402.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Love this backrest especially for long cruising trips or just around town, it flips forward easily for seat removal and backrest adjustment

Attachments

• 0907201525-1.jpg
    0907201525-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Attachments

• 0907201525-1.jpg
    0907201525-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts