Dunlop Tyre Technical Division Wobble and Weave 1975

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I asked about the 8 pound hunk of iron bolted to the fork on the Interstate. I think this vid sheds some light on the topic.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQTU-kE2s[/video]

Sooo...........if the heavier rider tends to keep the bike under control before weave sets it, that is better. Basically, he is saying to ENJOY THOSE STEAKS AND BURGERS!! :smilie_happy:

(I told my wife that eating cheese burgers was a matter of personal safety. Now I have proof!) :hihihi:

I experienced high speed weave on my '82 at speeds above 78 MPH. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the way I loaded the bike. :hihihi:

image.php

image.php

Actually, I solved my high speed weave issue on my bike by just removing some weight from the bike and switching to using a trailer.

image.php

That wasn't a top box Gerry, it was a whole apartment complex. Finally an excuse to be a fat bastard.. :yahoo:
Now after all that trolley wobbling I want a cup of tea and a bicky ( cookie to you blokes/guys)! :smilie_happy:
Now if only I could stop trying to impress my mates or get to the pub first! :salute:

:thanks: for the great video

I assume that rake and suspension design must of improved as there are now plenty of bikes that will double those speeds now.

I have experienced that high speed "weave" several times on "The Turd". All of which occurred with the Dunlop tires, believe it or not. Scared the crap outta me the first time it happened, too. About 80mph, going into a long, sweeping curve.
The low speed "wobble" I get regardless of the tire brand on the Turd. The 1500, however, doesn't seem to have either of these woes. :mrgreen: