Dusty and languishing in the shed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wangine

Reaction score
Hi all,
the subject is a 1975 GL1000 my kid brother gave me in 1980 something!
Started riding fifty five years ago when I was 10; mustering sheep on a million acre station in the goldfields region of Western Australia. Haven't stopped riding and hope there's a few more miles ahead.

The station bikes were 4 very reliable C92 Honda Benly's; my father's Golden Flash BSA remained broken down in the corner of the shed. He said in 1966 I could have the bike, and in 1980 I restored it. I ride it regularly in club events, and don't get left behind.

By the end of the 60's I was enjoying the thrills that lightweight japanese two strokes delivered.

I am still working in the field of fluid power (hydraulics) and have a range of british and jap bikes, all of which get a regular run.

I have (too) many bike projects "on the go" but by the end of this year will start restoring the wire wheel GL1000 a brother gave me, once I have completed a pre-war Ariel Square Four restoration.

I rode the Honda years ago before pedantic brother pulled it apart; what a contrast to my tuned RD350B!

He decided there was a knock in the engine which needed to be investigated, so pulled it apart and found.......nothing wrong!

At this stage he wearied of it all and gave the bike to me "as is"; engine re-assembled but not in the rolling chassis.

My wife surprises me and jumps on the back of a BSA when we have one and two day club events; I keep telling her if she thinks the Super Rocket is fun, the Gold Wing is in another league!

I am looking forward to learning from fellow forum members,
Wangine

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221645#p221645:gduh13t7 said:
joedrum » Today- 2:04[/url]":gduh13t7]
Welcome to classic

Sounds like fun thete with all those bikes
He Must be single Joe..... :BigGrin: no he's got a wife.... She has to be a keeper... Lol
I thought I had a great wife... But wow... :good:

Welcome. Strap the GL1000 engine to two 4x4s (or doubled 2x4s) screwed to a wooden furniture dolly. This makes it easy to add frame and other bits until finally the dolly is removed from a near- finished bike. The wife can help maneuver the frame on to prevent scratching paint.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221649#p221649:2zxqpy4g said:
pidjones » 46 minutes ago[/url]":2zxqpy4g]
The wife can help ...

Welcome from east Texas, USA. You'll find a lot useful information from the folks here at Classic. I've been working on my '75 "wire wheel" Wing since December last year. Couldn't have done it without there help.

Later, Bud...

Started riding fifty five years ago when I was 10; mustering sheep on a million acre station in the goldfields region of Western Australia. Haven't stopped riding and hope there's a few more miles ahead.

Dangit, Wang- I know why that is... At a million acre station, it's 'cuz you ain't found the other end of it yet!!!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Better put s'more gas in the tank, you're gonna NEED it!!!

Central Texas cattle rancher: "I'm from Texas. I can get in my truck, drive all day, and never see the far side'a my cattle ranch"
Iowa cattle rancher: "I had a truck like that once..."

Welcome to the crew! You aussies somehow always end up having the best wives... Mine won't come near the motorcycle, she HATES riding on them... then again, mebbie that's a blessing... Some day, when I feel like taking a ride to the pub across the river, via Vancouver Island, then Juneau, Alaska... northern Saskatchwan, then Manitoba... and Sault Ste. Marie, I'll just hafta fly down there and borrow one'a yer women for a half-a-year. I promise I'll giver her back... :thank_you: