Electric fuel pump conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here converted to an electric fuel pump? Will that eliminate the need to use the petcock, except for switching to reserve, of course? Or can fuel get past the pump when it's off? I'm also concerned about too much pressure forcing fuel past the needle valve. I saw one guy had that problem so he put a tee at the carb and ran return line to the tank so any excess fuel just went back to the tank.

I'm thinking it should be possible to put a switch to turn the pump on when the bowl gets low and turn it off when it's full. I've been looking at magnetic switches and prox sensors that could sense the level of fuel or position of the float. That would eliminate the mechanical needle valve completely, and the need to use the petcock.

You're using a car carb.A car fuel pump for carbs should work just fine. Yes fuel can still push through the electric fuel pumps when sitting in the sun with a full tank. I got in the habit of shutting off the fuel about 30 seconds before shutting off the bike. No problems.

When I switched to the 1200 motor, I was forced to switch to an electric fuel pump, so I am using a stock 1200 fuel pump on a 1100 bike running a 34 Pict 3... it works fine. A 1984 Honda Prelude fuel pump is almost identical to a 1984 Honda Goldwing fuel pump in looks and output capacity.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182941#p182941:1rgw17io said:
slabghost » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:15 pm[/url]":1rgw17io]
You're using a car carb.A car fuel pump for carbs should work just fine. Yes fuel can still push through the electric fuel pumps when sitting in the sun with a full tank. I got in the habit of shutting off the fuel about 30 seconds before shutting off the bike. No problems.

I never shut the petcock off when I had the 1100 motor and stock carbs. When I initially switched to the single carb and the 1100 motor I had one time that the carb leaked through and I hydro-locked the motor. Since then, I have been shutting off the petcock.

Latest posts