Engine won't rotate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paedrigz

Reaction score
Hello all,
I very recently purchased a 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. When i was purchasing it, the owner did not have it running and had been "working on it" to get it running, which it wasn't. The engine turned over very well, sounded like it wanted to fire but just would start up. The guy had put new carbs on, new plug wires, new coils, and a new battery. (he had the receipts for all of this. 400+ dollars of parts) Anyway i gave him some money (500) and I took the bike home.
I tore down the bike so i could get to stuff to start going through it. The plug wires were in the wrong locations so i corrected, tried to fire=huge backfire through the exhaust on the right bank.
I removed the timing covers and checked timing=dead on perfect.
Checked the valve lash= #3 exhaust was so far loose that the valve wasn't even moving. The rest were out but not that bad. Anyway i set the lash on #3 (and the rest of the ones you can do while on T1) and was hand rotating the motor to T2 to do the rest of the valves and the engine locked up on me. Oh crap! Rotated the engine backwards (front side crank) and checked my #3 lash and it was perfect. Rotated the engine again = locked after a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a rotation. So i loosed the lash on the valve all the way out. Engine still locked up. Loosed all the valves so none were moving = engine still locks up.
Ok Fine. I'll pull the head. so i did, and lo and behold what i found.

I am assuming the bike wouldn't start due to horrible valve lash and incorrect spark plug wires after the previous owner replaced them. He replaced the carbs because the bike had sat a while and they were full of varnish. I image when he swapped the carbs he dropped a screw down the intake and after cranking on the starter the screw got sucked in through the intake valve into the #3 cylinder.

I see one little scratch in the valve relief from the screw but no damage to the cylinder walls. I see no external damage in the head, but will open the valve and thoroughly check before putting it back together.
Other than the screw, the internals look really good i think. Hardly any carbon at all.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share my find.
P.S. I'm brand new to the forum. I've had many bikes in the past (Honda, Harley, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc.) This is my "cheap" project to get me back riding since i haven't had a bike in a couple of years.

That screw was in the intake port....when you adjusted the valves, the valve opened enough to allow the screw to fall into the cylinder. I doubt it did any damage at all if you were ony spinning the engine by hand. Good catch tho...glad it didn't fall down in while cranking it with the starter! :clapping:

AAple, i think you're right because before all of this, the engine spun on the starter just fine with NO noise except the backfire. (hrm a screw stuck in a valve could cause this) There was absolutely nothing preventing the engine from rotating previous to the valve adjustment, and i only HAND turned the engine after the adjustment. So YAY! No damage. I'm still gonna examine the head thoroughly before reassembly.
My question now is, To lap or not to lap? If i lap this side, will i need to lap the other side to keep everything equal etc?
Thanks everyone.

Reconditioning both is best in my opinion to balance it best it can be but I don't think it's mandatory to do both sides. It will run either way but given the history of the bike I would pull both heads and have at it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181366#p181366:2zhcib8x said:
Steve83 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 am[/url]":2zhcib8x]
With all the work needed to do one side, it won't take much to do the other side as well. And who knows what you'll find...

Welcome from Southern California!

+1 :yes:
Welcome from Oz

That was a close one for sure, I thought maybe you had a stuck valve causing excessive valve lash and when you adjusted it it caused it to extend further into the chamber causing the valve to hit the piston, check all the valves carefully, now is the time to be thorough.
Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts