Final Drive swap??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danman

Reaction score
Is it possible to swap final drive on my 81 gl1100 from a different model and achieve taller gears?

If the Goldwing Differences spreadsheet https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/galle ... um_id=1266
is correct, the 81 is 3.09, the 83 is 3.1, the 84 1200 is 2.8.

To get the 2.8, the 1200 final drive, swingarm, and wheel have to be used. Even at the 2.8 I don't think much is gained in rpm drop when mated with the 81 transmission.
Some, but worth it? IMO no.

I had an '81 engine in my '82 for a few years. It is not just the final drive, the gear ratios are also different. Even with an '82 final drive, the '81 engine was pushing 5000 RPM's at roughly 75 MPH. I installed an '83 engine (still in the bike) with the '82 final drive and the RPM dropped to 4200 RPM at 75 MPH (roughly). Huge difference on the highway!

However, my bike is named the, "Slug" because of this. 1st gear is a bit sluggish verses what it was like with the '81 engine. There is a trade off on either end of the RPM spectrum when you change the ratio's

The 80-81 years bikes are the lowest geared oldwings ..the 1200 swing arm would help the rpm at road speed if that what you want ..first gear would be taller too ..nothing the motor couldn't handle in my opinion..

Latest posts