First ride since lockdown. Better than the DD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
The guys that rode to Cape York last year wanted to have a commemorative ride to celebrate their achievement. The decided on a four wheel drive track that has been closed due to weather for some time but had access due to the dryer conditions of late. They opened it up to the rest of us to come along for the challenge. Four of the six rode the actual bikes that had been to the Cape while the other two had upgraded to big bore bikes, a KTM and BMW. The rest of the extra group were all on adventure bikes except for Ken in his ute ( the Smoko Van) and me on the Rats Nest. When I asked Greg if the Rats Nest was suitable he said that the track was just like my Dreaded Driveway only longer :yes:
Two of our mates had ridden from the Gold Coast and as they are mad dirt turders that met us at the bottom after already riding down the track. Charlie who is a Qride Instructor took one look at the Rats Nest and doubted if it would make it up due to ground clearance, tires (A230s) and tyre pressure (36 psi front, 42 psi rear). I wasn’t going to reduce pressures as I didn’t want to run the risk of damaging a rim or tire. The only problem I had was over fueling due I believe to the floats bouncing and the low speed I was travelling in first gear. The first time I stalled the bike thinking that the ignition had failed but was able to get it restarted and then revved it until it cleared. I had to do this many times more but I was able to clutch it and rev until it cleared normally without coming to a halt. I had always wanted to travel this road and it was definitely satisfying to have done it on a cheap 1981 road bike, even if it is a mighty Honda GL1100. :good:
38 mins to go 12.2 kms, you know it is going to be challenging when last couple of Ks are bitumen.

That was a brave trip to take on an 1100! :ahem: Ground clearance, carb floats, stalling. I am glad you took the trip and made it! :music:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217759#p217759:qqhrlnot said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:34 pm[/url]":qqhrlnot]
That was a brave trip to take on an 1100! :ahem: Ground clearance, carb floats, stalling. I am glad you took the trip and made it! :music:
I put up some of my shaky DashCam footage. :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217762#p217762:3070w3i2 said:
Ansimp » Today, 4:44 am[/url]":3070w3i2]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217759#p217759:3070w3i2 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:34 pm[/url]":3070w3i2]
I put up some of my shaky DashCam footage. :hihihi:
Poor bike getting beat to death :smilie_happy:

I told Ruth that if I was to only own one bike it would have to be the Rats Nest :good:
She then asked me if I was going to sell the others? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts