Fork oil seals.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlytops

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl 1200 SEI Gl 1800
Hi.. Ive looked through the various posts about this on the forum, and have done 1200 forks before but it was a long time ago. Bike is a 1986 SEI, and while im in there I will be replacing the bushings as well. I know I loosened the fork caps while the forks were in the bike, but I cant remember if I loosened the hex bolt in the bottom while the forks were on the bike and still had the springs in.. does anyone have any tips? Also how much fork oil is needed for each leg and go on ill ask... what weight oil does anyone recomend?

I did my '81 1100 a couple of years ago. Should be about the same. The bolt at the bottom is to drain the oil, watch the fork caps when you undo them, they're under pressure. I would replace the springs while you have it apart. I used 20W50 as I like a stiffer ride, most use 10 or 15 weight oil. You'd have to look up the capacity. Good luck, Dave

I did my '81 1100 a couple of years ago. Should be about the same. The bolt at the bottom is to drain the oil, watch the fork caps when you undo them, they're under pressure. I would replace the springs while you have it apart. I used 20W50 as I like a stiffer ride, most use 10 or 15 weight oil. You'd have to look up the capacity. Good luck, Dave
Im on about the hex bolt that goes up the fork leg at the bottom... is that the drain bolt? Yep i remember the fork caps I had an old towel over them to catch them... ill let you know how i get on... just awaiting my parts arrival.

Latest posts