FRAME CROSMEMBER

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyl

Reaction score
:read:
Can anybody tell me if HONDA makes a center stand crosmember for the 77 G L 1000? Or do I have to make one?
I discovered that mine was severly rotted out . I had to take off the center stand. I could probebly heat up the cros member and pull it back into place and weld it with some extra bracing. I don't relish the idea of cutting out the old one and fabricating a new on. I have been looking for an article on replacing this part, but I can't find anything . Would appreaciate any info on this matter. :moped:

I have center stands for GL1100,s
Not sure if they will fit

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

[/size I just moved here to Huntington W Va and havent found any salvage yards as of yet.
It seems to me I have read an article on someone repairing a cross member in one of those frame re paint articles. I haven't found it yet. I think it was on a trike conversion article.

I guess I am not understanding what you are looking for - the frame part that the center stand is on or the removeable portion for removing the engine.
If its the center part you will have to do some welding (I would recommend simply changing the frame out if thats the case I have a few) if you are talking about the cross member that unbolts (for removing the engine) I have a few of those as well. Pictures always help

I am NOT looking for the LEFT SIDE FRAME PART WITH THE SIDE STAND ON IT. THE PART I AM LOOKOIN FOR IS THE PART THAT IS welded INTO THE FRAME BEHIND THE ENGINE IN FRONT OF THE REAR WHEEL, THAT THE CENTER STAND IS BOLTED TO. I AM TRYING TO avoid CHANGING THE FRAME.

You will have to do as you suggested, or cut the old piece out and weld in a new one. Re-aligning the center stand is trickier than you'd think. If you have access to a second bike with a good stand, you could use it for measurements to reattach the stand mechanism. I don't think Honda makes replacement pieces, but just one inch black pipe should work. Its probably overkill. To me, it's dead weight. That's what I used, but I didn't keep the ctr stand.

ekvh":7m7i60re said:
Should have added that these likely go bad from not installing the breather tube from the battery.
they are well known to rust out, saw a thread where someone moded it with zerks

another thread talked about yearly centerstand re/re + lubing

think i also saw drillin' a few drain holes mod

sunnyl":10ngzjzt said:
:read:
Can anybody tell me if HONDA makes a center stand crosmember for the 77 G L 1000? Or do I have to make one?
I discovered that mine was severly rotted out . I had to take off the center stand. I could probebly heat up the cros member and pull it back into place and weld it with some extra bracing. I don't relish the idea of cutting out the old one and fabricating a new on. I have been looking for an article on replacing this part, but I can't find anything . Would appreaciate any info on this matter. :moped:
there's info out there ..couldn't find it tho

dude cut off his old one and opened it up to see the inside

doubt you will be able to do a proper repair starting with a rotted out piece

edit - google '82 GL1100 Interstate Rescue'

Usually the piece that rusts out is the frame, not the operational part of the ctr stand. There is a second piece that can get a zerk to keep operation smooth.

I am pretty sure the thread was triking a 1100. I haven't had time to look on the tech part of the site to find it. And you are correct it was taken apart and rebuilt. He did an excelent job rebuilding it.Im 73 and my memory is going (along with my knees and a fiew other things) I do know my bike, since I have had it since it was NEW in 1977. I don't get to ride it verry much, but when I do I want to be SAFE.

Ya i saw that thread as well - made me crawl under my bike to look.

I wonder if modifying the frame would affect the DOT listing (probably would)

I asked a few others at NGW and the feeling there, unscientific, was that it probably wasn't needed. When you take that member out, the motor is bolted up pretty tightly in the same spot so the motor could be considered part of the frame. I tend to agree, but since mine was empty and I could turn the frame around for a decent weld, I welded a new one in.

:yahoo: That is the thread I was looking at. It sure is a lot of work to do. After looking at all the work I think I will leve it alone. I did aquire a RIDE OFF center standthat I bought on G W parts for sale. It works wonderful. Since you think the frame will be O. K . I shouldn't worry about being SAFE.? The ride off I have is a BATES ride off center stand. The only thing I don't like, is that I have to take off the stand when I do an oil change. Mainly because I have a oil cooler on the bike and the sending unit is behind the oil filter. If my fingers are working good it usually takes me about 1 hr to take it off and on.

It is supposed to be a good week end, so I think I will try to get in some riding. :moped:

:oops: Well I didn't get a ride n . I went to go for a ride and found out I had a small weather crack in the side wall of the rear tire. I gues I should have expected it. I have had the tires in the bike for 6 years. I suppose the combination of not much riding and coating the side walls with tire conditioner really helps. :moped:

:help:Can anyone tell me what sise tire it will take (on the conversion)[to put a 4.50 by 17 tube tipe tire on my 1977 G L 1000? I have a M T -85-H-17 on the bike now b][/b] :moped: