Fuel Pump Relay ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
last Sunday it was Beautiful here , upper 70's and Sunny , my buddy called wanting to go ride, I went to the Garage got on my 86 SE-I Fuel Injected 1200 …… I have owned it almost 5 years never had a problem with it until last sunday...LOL … it turned and turned nothing , I almost ran the battery down , so I put the charger on it and gave it a few minutes , started right up … I rode it about 5 miles to my buddy's house , ran as good as it always does , turned it off , when we was ready for the ride same thing again, turned and turned and turned finally started again, we rode about 150 miles without stopping , got back to his house turned it off and we sit and talked a while , I got back on...……. same ol' same ol' .. but this time it Never started … had to leave it there all night , next morning took car and trailer to get it , brought it home , soon as I rolled it into my Garage , it started like a new bike … lol … so.. over the last few days , I went through the wiring , fuses and all that stuff , found out if I turned the key on and I heard the fuel pump running , the bike would start .. if not … No . soo I changed a relay from Air Comp. to the Fuel Pump . runs just fine . my question is , I have already checked all around here , nobody has a relay for this 35 year old Goldwing … any Ideas ?????

I recall a similar discussion here recently. I made a few comments then and will repeat them here. If you’re not a purist, then the solution is pretty straightforward.

I added a 1200 fuel pump to my 1000. Any automotive relay is a fine replacement for the factory unit.. The pulsing operation is purely a function of being driven by one of the ignition coil feeds. Not necessary for operation since it'll only pump on "demand", i.e. an open float valve(s). Constant DC voltage will be fine. Lots of us are doing it.

The only caution I would offer up is that in the event of a tip over, constant DC voltage will continue supplying juice to the fuel pump. (Hence the factory coil feed line) Could be dangerous by potentially contributing to a fire. If you’re concerned about that, a bank angle switch in line with the fuel pump trigger circuit would be advisable. They are cheap (<$20) and all over eBay.

Seeing this is a fuel injected bike the relay should already be controlled by the ecu so there is already a safety control circuit. If it was mine I would be converting the relay to a more readily available type, for me on motorcycles that means using a micro relay with its corresponding mounting base. Just make sure that the relay is faulty first and also that your 1200efi relays aren’t available in another application.

Did you check the dogbone fuse next to the battery? This is the wire that is connected to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. I would do a temporary bypass of this fuse to rule it out as a possible issue. Could change this fuse to the blade type, it's 30 amps.

Check with Honda. I ordered the relay(s) a couple of years ago and it was available. Not simple to change to an automotive relay because of the wiring issue, and this relay is housed in the main fuse block.

yeah , I removed the Fuel Pump Relay and replaced it with the relay that said Air Pump , and it worked instantly . but of course THAT relay is also most likely 35 years old also.... LOL … soooo I was just trying to see if anyone knew what Mfg. or maybe part number that I might buy at a Autozone or whatever . and replace it with a new one . or what kind of car would have the same fuel preasure rating or whatever.

The relay you need is P/N 38360-762-003. Should still be available from Honda. I have one spare and will check with my parts girl on Tuesday if these are still available.

thanks guys , this will help a lot , I am an old retired Mechanic . BUT … Not a Goldwing Mechanic … LOL … I worked in a VW Dealership in 1969 , and a Fiat Dealership in 1976 , and in a Big Rig Truck shop on Interstate 81 from late 76 till last of 89 .. one more question for all you Goldwing Mechanic's since my 86 SE-I is Fuel Injected … does my bike use the same Fuel Pump & Fuel line pressure as a carb. model 86 1200 ???

The answer is no. 28 to 38 psi for your bike, 3.5 psi for the carb bikes. Think of your bike as an older Honda Civic/Prelude on 2 wheels. A fuel pump from that era will work. Subaru, Volkswagen as well.

Specs are:

Key on - engine not started - static pressure 34 to 38 PSI
Key on - engine started - at idle - 28 to 34 PSI

thanks guys , I am taking notes and putting them in my Goldwing stuff , thank you so much. nothing like knowing folks into the samething you are , when you need a little help... thank you all.