gambled on front fender for hooch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant go wrong with the price, really miss having a M/C wrecking yard ..we used to be able to take our bikes there and try different parts to see what worked.

yes i agree ...just didnt have any ..but had 1200 wheel ....there are things i didnt want about 1200 forks ..didnt want mismatch front brakes ,,didnt want antidive....and actually like the single piston brakes most feel is inferior and the fantastic hydro brake light switch 1000 have ....so i went this route instead ...never know till you try ...im sure hooch would do the same with 1200 forks if they were there ...in my opinion ... ive got plans to beef things ....

when shaft drive bike gets light on front end from power the shaft tries to moves the bike to the left..from how the shaft spins in a circle and not strait like a chain is the issue here to me :headscratch:

im a very structural guy ...ive done many things in life where my life depended on it ...fork tubes on the 1000 are 1 1/2" ..1100s are a bit bigger and 1200s a bit more ...if you look at hooches pic ..you can see the triple trees are like A frames ....and there two spread about 8" apart ..that a guess ...with this all bolted together ...this is super stout ...from there the tubes extend down into the sliders ..here all forks relies on things much weaker than tubes are by a huge margin ..bushing and seals ....when fork give trouble im sure here is the most like culprits causing the problems ....not weak tubes ..the forks on hooch are very good and no slop ...im not worried about there not being stout enough to handle a bigger tire ...i can handle a 140 90 16 tire if i want ....i like the simplicity of the 1000 fork over later yrs and overall set up ...

sometimes things get started that become sort of facts to go by and there not ...tube size is one ..when people talk bigger tires ...things that are for real count are things mention already ...triple tree spread ..width and also how far apart ....and of course stem bearing good ...in effect no play is the deal ....

hooches problem occurs when there is simply no weight on the tubes and forks in general and 1200 forks would not fix a thing ....in my opinion :mrgreen:

The fork tube sizes are supposed to be 37mm for the 1000, 39 mm for the 1100 and 41 mm for the 1200's. I have NOT tried it but was researching for project lead me to this information and also that 1000,1100 1200 triple tree sets would interchange into the different frames as the stem length and bearings are the same. It also said that forks from a Magna or a CBR would work on the GL. Do you have any knowledge of this Joe ? Like I said I have NOT tried any of this yet.

pics
image.php

the fender came today im so glad .....looks good ...

image.php

seems very well made

image.php

yep im well pleased here

pics
image.php

wow the gamble here really paid off ...fit is dam near perfect

image.php

theres just a rag sitting on top of the tire ..so its a little cock eyed

image.php

ok ...it not probably what a cafe or bobber bike builder would want ...but to me its perfectly what i wanted ....may drop the fender down some as it looks like a markland fork brace has plenty of room to be use ....you see the turn signal beeper hanging ...it use to work ..anybody know how to fix them ...or do the sale 12 volt beepers ?

image.php

totally pleased

image.php

for 20$ i was quite blessed here ...and this fender was the last one they had :thanks:

Painted black and hard mounted it should finish the new look of the front. Really surprised it fits so well.

Cool that it fit so well. That is the second time I've seen that fender on a bike, that it wasn't intended for. They seem to fit everything, the other bike was a Harley rat build

That looks great and will be better after you paint it...
I was noticing your front stand... My 84/85 Interstate has a center stand that is easy to stand it up but hard for a solo to get it off center stand... Did you buy that or build it??? Looks great...

Latest posts