GL 1000 Ignition coils sparkplug wires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Yocum

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1975 gl1000
.My GL1000 plug wires are deteriorating, the rubber around the copper center wire is old and coming apart. The coils themselves are fine ,I would just replace the wires but they are not easily replaced,they are molded into the coil housing.Ebay has a set of new GL1500 coils with wires for $35.00,what a deal.....what I need to know is they work on my 75 GL1000.

Last edited:
Well, did you get an answer?

.My GL1000 plug wires are deteriorating, the rubber around the copper center wire is old and coming apart. The coils themselves are fine ,I would just replace the wires but they are not easily replaced,they are molded into the coil housing.Ebay has a set of new GL1500 coils with wires for $35.00,what a deal.....what I need to know is they work on my 75 GL1000.
Yes coils off of a 1500 will work fine.

Yes the coils will work or you could go to electronic ignition with a Dana system Go to a parts store buy the yellow accel wires make sure they are copper core do not use graphite cut them to length they will be in the performance area. these older bikes will will pit the graphite core causing gaps in the core buy a set of resistance caps from ngk or buy a set of spark plugs with the resistors built in you will have to research the equivalent plug . If it were mine I would upgrade to a Dana but this is simply personal choice the points system is still a great system just a little more finicky. If you do go with Dana pm me and I'll tell you how to properly set it up

That was back in October ,I waited for awhile for you guys in the forum to help answer my question ,but didnt happen so I bought new marine grade solid core copper wire at the auto supply,I didnt dare break into the plastic coil housing the wires are molded together ,so I cut the old wires off the coils and left 2 inches of the old wire sticking out then carefully soldered the new wires onto the old, then wrapped the joint with several layers of shrink tube of different sizes till I was satisfied I had a good seal.Put everything back together and so far so good...keep finger crossed.

Last edited:

Latest posts