GL 1500 charging requirements...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My big manual states my system is to be charging 13.5-15.5V. My Kuryakin(sp?) voltage meter shows 1 green light which looks to be 12V if you count the colored lights. It is solidly lit most of the time and the 13V light is often flashing furiously while cruising, or when easing off the throttle, and the 14V light has never lit up. This meter is wired about as far from the battery as possible at an auxiliary power source under the left fairing pocket. Tony told me the further you wire these things from the battery the lower they can read. I really think the old battery was just at the end of the service life, after all I did have to refill it with water. I guess I should get one of those cheap meters and test at the battery. Lastly, the PO told me the Alt was rebuilt with new brushes not too long ago.

Any ideas folks?

~O~

Okay... again I don't know how to use one of these multi-meters.

The one I bought has two setting in the Battery Load Test area. 9V and 1.5 V here are the readings I got for both settings. These are all at the battery terminals.

1.5V

Engine off - 12.30s
Engine running at idle - 13.70s jumps around a bit(all running readings do).
1000rpms - 13.97s

9V

Engine running at idle - 13.80s
1000rpms - 14.17s

Does any of this make sense? I bought the meter at AutoZone so I figured it would be appropriate but was baffled there was no 12V setting.

~O~

It sounds like you bought an alkaline type tester for C,D,AA and 9 volt batteries. If the 9 Volt setting is reading correctly which it very well may be I would say your fine, but I`m not fammiliar with the 1500.
Best thing is a regular digital multi meter, I think they are 4.99 at harbor freight, have even seen them at pic and save and wal mart at similar prices.

I don't know if I'd trust that meter. 12.3 engine off with a new battery doesn't look right.

Get a regular multi meter like in the video how-to use one HERE
They have cheapies at Radio Shack.

Thanks Dan that video helped! I have the same meter except it has more settings. This time I used the DCV set to 20V and got these readings:

Engine off - 12.75
Engine idle - 12.80
1,000rpm - 14.09

Better? Like I posted in the first post ranges are 13.5 - 15.5V.

~O~

Check for any auxillary devices that are on and running, The recomended reading are taken on a bone stock bike with radio and other devices off , check again if any extra lights or radio is on.
I have no idea if the test is the same for the 1500 but you can check the 3 yellow wires from the stator , the reading on the 1100 is anything over 2 volts (each yellow wire) with the red probe and black on the negative battery post, meter set to AC volts.

Well thats where I cant help, hope to have a 1500 problem one day I just cant afford it yet.
Just be sure any auxillary stuff is off or even disconected if you have to.

I think that engine idle voltage is too low but not sure, it may be normal for 1500 and stock alternator.

Don't we have a 1500 manual in the gallery?
Pretty sure I do on my computer somewhere. Maybe hasn't made it in yet.

There is going to be some inacuracies with a meter the cheaper the meter the more inacurate but usually only a half a volt at worse. Seems in line with what the LED meter is showing.
I would ride it and keep an eye on the LED in the future.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94923#p94923:37gnmo6e said:
dan filipi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm[/url]":37gnmo6e]
I think that engine idle voltage is too low but not sure, it may be normal for 1500 and stock alternator.

Don't we have a 1500 manual in the gallery?
Pretty sure I do on my computer somewhere. Maybe hasn't made it in yet.
look in the owners manual ( a '93 1500 owners manual and an '84 1200 owners manual ) i sent you a few years back dan and see if the numbers are in it

Latest posts