GL1000 Connecting Rod and Crankshaft Bearings Questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
I’m rebuilding a 1978 GL1000 engine and have questions about Honda terminology. The Honda fiche on rod bearings lists:
Bearing A (2&4 Blue) 13215-371-003
Bearing B (2&4 Black) 13216-371-003
Bearing C (2&4 Brown) 13217-371-003
Bearing D (2&4 Green) 13218-371-003
Bearing E (2&4 Yellow) 13219-371-003
Bearing A (1&3 Blue) 13221-371-003
Bearing B (1&3 Black) 13222-371-003
Bearing C (1&3 Brown) 13223-371-003
Bearing D (1&3 Green) 13224-371-003
Bearing E (1&3 Yellow) 13225-371-003

To me, the numbers refer to the cylinders. What do the colors refer to? Oversizes? Year made? I’ve read the instructions in chapter 6 of the 75-79 service manual and did not find a clear explanation

Where do you find the “color” of the bearings currently in the engine? I’ve looked on the back side of the rod bearing and seen what may have been black marker/paint. Is there a cross-reference from color to size? If there is, I can mike the crank and get the correct color.

Does anyone have a suggested source for GL1000 engine parts? I’m seeing $17 – $21 for a single bearing set (upper & lower). I pay about that much for an entire set of GM V-8 rod bearings. OUCH!!

Thanks for the help

this is called how to kill off older bikes by gov and manufactors that refuse to service products with a gov not go to jail gren light cause they want them gone too ... its very difficult to get any info from this system ...there a guy here who fought through this crap and won bigtime ...he will probably post on this

Welcome to Classics!

As far as a source is concerned, I have had great success with bikebandit while others use Western Honda. Western appears to be cheaper for most parts.

I doubt you'll find any color coding on OE bearings. My understanding is that the colors refer to specific oversized replacement/repair bearings. Don't know if there is a cross-reference anywhere that would specify what color equals what thickness, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere. :read:

In the gallery, scroll down to "Repair Manuals-GL1000 and 1100" and click on "1975 to 1979 GL1000 Shop Manual". In Chapter 6 Engine Lower End Repair, pages 618 and 619 describe the bearing color codes, and the case, rod & crank codes. Hope this helps...

On my 1100 bearings, there is a small color dab on the edge of each bearing.

I checked the service manual pages and the numbers indicate this engine should be using brown coded bearings, but the back side of the bearings has black marker. I miked the crank and have the numbers, but I don't know what the numbers should be. Some where there must be a sheet giving the color codes and sozes.

Concur with the remark about Western Honda; That's where I normally get my parts.

I found the size tables in another thread. Post Subject : Crankshaft question.

I think I now have enough information to get at least eyebrow deep in draak. (25th century term for brown stuff/crap/BS)

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

In the hopes of saving you from the smelly stuff;

1) the bearing shells should have a colour code on one edge. Many times the main bearings will have lost this code.
2) No, you can't tell the size from the stamped numbers on the back of the shells
3) Nor is there any colour indicator on the back of the shells.
4) The sizes are determined by the markings on the crankshaft, rods and crank case. The markings on the rods and crank are very faint etchings and you probably will need a magnifying glass to see them.
5) They are sold per shell, not per pair of shells! And anything up to $30 / shell !
6) Hate to do this, but you are probably not going to find them anyway! I have 3 customers currently that I have been searching for shells for. So far I have brought them in from USA, Israel, Germany, Holland and Switzerland! And I still need some!
But you never know. I have some shells left, so when you know what sizes you need, go have a look at this:
https://www.wingovations.com/#/bearing-shells/4571224762

Here's how to tell what was originally in your engine.
View attachment Main and big end bearing color code.pdf

Hmm....... not sure that I can put a pdf on here. So try something else:

bearing colour (Medium).jpg

conrod chart.jpg

main bearing chart (Large).jpg

main bearing selection pic.jpg

I finally lifted a set of good used pistons & rods, rod bearings, crankshaft, and main bearings from a donor engine and dropped everything into the engine. Now I'm waiting for a complete gasket set so I can put the engine together and back into the bike before Jack Frost calls an end to the riding season.

This is a spare bike, so I can wait if needed. I'll try to build a comprehensive cross- reference between bearing sizes, colors, etc, and post it back here when I get a break.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.

Tom

Latest posts