GL1000 fork oil amount / air gap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMF

Reaction score
My Bike Models
76 Honda GL1000
92 Honda ST1100
97 Honda Transalp
96 Triumph Trident
00 Triumph TT600
07 MiniTrail 140
03 Suzuki SV1000S
I'm reassembling my '76 Wing forks and have run into a conundrum. Clymer says to use 5.6 - 6.1 US oz. and does not specify an air gap. I cross referenced that with Randakk https://www.randakksblog.com/removing-stiction-from-gl1000-front-forks/ who specifies 6.6 - 6.9 US oz. after a full disassembly BUT recommends a 160mm air gap as more precise. All seems clear and easy. I added just under 7 US oz and measure a 255mm air gap. Anyone have words of wisdom on this?

Only to burn the Clymer manual and find/download the Honda service manual.
pidjones - thanks for the tip! Honda PDF manual on hand. Honda does not specify an air gap but rather a range for the amount of fluid. Can anyone compare the difference running oil on the low vs the high end of the range? I've never ridden a GL1000 and don't know the damping characteristics with the factory settings. My riding with the Wing will vary but much of it will be done on local secondary roads that are curvy/wavy/bumpy with speeds often in the 35 - 55 range. I'll typically run at 5 - 15 over the speed limit.

1659532819400.png

I contacted Randakk but only got a pro forma response. My guess is a typo in his instructions and the air gap should be around 260mm and not 160mm. After a careful remeasure my gap is 270mm or close enough.

Latest posts