GL1000 & GL1100 parts interchangeability???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolife

Reaction score
I have a 79 GL1000. It runs great & I can as often as I can. There's no way I'd get rid of it. Its a keeper.

I was given an 82 GL1100. It was taken apart. I was told it was running when taken apart. The guy I got it from had disassembled the carburetors & made a mess out of it. He broke a fuel bowl & used Pine Sol as carburetor cleaner. He said he read online that Pine Sol was the greatest carburetor cleaner ever...but believe me..its not.

Long story short, I used carburetor cleaner (imagine that) to clean the carbs. I found a fuel bowl on Ebay & bought a few gaskets that had been lost. My goal was to put the carbs back together, try to start it & then assess things from there. Well I got the carbs together, put them on the bike & tried to start it but the engine wouldn't spin over. After pulling the plugs, putting it 5th gear & trying to turn the rear wheel, I've found that the engine has seized. I have no idea how long its been sitting.

Now I'm going to try putting ATF in the cylinders & try to free the engine up.

My question is how many of the parts between a GL1000 & GL1100 will interchange?

Visually the carbs are different but could you use GL1100 carbs on a GL1000?

The final drive looks the same but is the gear ratios different?

Internally in the engine, what's the difference? Where did Honda increase the 100CCs.

The wheels are different sizes.

The front forks appear to be the same anyone know if they are?

What about the gas tank? Visually, they look to be different.

Thank you for the help. If I can keep the GL1100 as a parts bike, I'm going to disassemble it & sale what I can't use. If not I'm going to try to sell it whole as a parts bike.

1100 carbs and 1000s carbs will bolt up ....the piston is bigger to get the extra 100cc ...there are many internal differences in gearing and all .. but if kept together they will fit either block ...the final drives are different and no swapping without aggressive modifying and they are different gear ratio...the forks on 1100 have bigger tubes but inter change if brakes and all are switched ..

at this point id just take the heads off the 1100 and see what up it is the quickest and best way to do up stuck motor the bes and most carful ...is what id do .. let us know what move you might make ... so to keep unknowns down ... a 82 1100 would make a very fast
1000 if transplanted in the bike if someting happen to your motor

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111607#p111607:24ih3nah said:
lolife » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm[/url]":24ih3nah]
My question is how many of the parts between a GL1000 & GL1100 will interchange?
I don't have a complete list, but some are the same, some are usable but different, and some require mods to work.
Visually the carbs are different but could you use GL1100 carbs on a GL1000?
Yes you can, if you desire. lots of 1000's running 1100 carbs.
The final drive looks the same but is the gear ratios different?
Not swappable unless you change the swingarm and wheel as well. Lots of modding involved.
Internally in the engine, what's the difference? Where did Honda increase the 100CCs.
Lots of differences in there.
The wheels are different sizes.
Could be MADE to fit, but why?
The front forks appear to be the same anyone know if they are?
Different diameter. Could swap the whole front end including triple tree.
What about the gas tank? Visually, they look to be different.
Won't swap.
Thank you for the help. If I can keep the GL1100 as a parts bike, I'm going to disassemble it & sale what I can't use. If not I'm going to try to sell it whole as a parts bike.
If it was me, I wouldn't have an 1100 as a parts bike for a 1000. That said, my 78 has a lot of 1100 parts (mostly cosmetic,) but that was because of parts availability during the build, not design.

Thank you for the information.

Sounds like the carbs is all I can reuse. I'm going to keep them b/c I could use them on the 1000. I've already sold the fairing. I'll get some pictures & post up on the For Sale to see if anyone wants any items. The faux gas tank, fenders & plastic side covers are in great shape. If I can get the engine freed up, it may be worth something to someone.

Thank you again

Agree with Roncar, but if that 1100 turns into a runner, put it in your 1000 frame and enjoy. It involves fair modification to the frame, but it, the 1100, has a lower first gear which combined with a gl1000 final drive unit makes it much quicker and easier on take off. The 1000 has a 3.40 final drive while the 1100 was around 3.10 depending on the year. It also has a lower 5th gear to help a little at the top end. Joe has one with 1000 cams in it. If you did that, you would be able to convert to an exterior ignition, as the 1000 has. I am thinking, but not sure, that the 1000 rear cover could go on and then it would drop in with no frame modification. I can't remember anyone addressing that one.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111636#p111636:nn5es8xz said:
brianinpa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm[/url]":nn5es8xz]
Do you ever make it up to PA? I have a 78 motor sitting in the garage taking up space.

I've never been to PA but I work with a guy who is from Huntington PA. He travels up there a few times a year to see his family. What did you have in mind?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111725#p111725:2wzfy2ra said:
charles franz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 am[/url]":2wzfy2ra]
Lolife, Sent you a PM, Thanks, Charlie in NC

I got a PM from you but there wasn't a message. I PM'd you back. Thank you

Well I'm pleased to say that after soaking in ATF for 4 days, I have gotten the engine freed up & can spin it over by hand. I'm hoping that I can try to start it tomorrow when I get home from work. :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111965#p111965:hpx2wss2 said:
desertrefugee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 am[/url]":hpx2wss2]
Expect some smoke...
Yes, especially if the exhaust has been connected the whole time.
The oil will take a good 15-20 minutes at high rpm to burn out.

Update...I believe she's a goner. :crying:

I started yesterday afternoon. I spun the engine over w/o the plugs to try to blow out the excess oil from the cylinders. I checked to ensure the ignition system was working & connected the gas tank. I found that the tubes inside the tank must be plugged b/c I can't get anything out of them. I removed the pet cock from the side of the tank & blew back through the lines & nothing.

This morning, I took a small plastic tank from a snapper lawn mower & rigged me up an aux tank & again spun the engine over to ensure the fuel pump was working. I got everything together & gave it a try.

As I was trying to start it, the engine started trying to lock back up again. I removed the plugs to see if it would spin over easier but it didn't help much. A mixture of rust/ATF started piling up at the plug holes. The starter won't spin the engine over fast enough to start even with the plugs removed.

Now my only option is to start parting it out. In all honesty what has value? Would I be better off to sale as a parts bike or part it out? I have no problems disassembling & distributing anything of value especially to people here who need or is willing to use them to keep their bikes running.

I'm not going to disassemble the engine b/c if I was receiving an engine, I'd rather disassemble myself than go behind someone.

If I do part everything out, does the frame with a SC title have any value. I could see if you had an 1100 & wanted to chop it up, you could chop up a used frame instead of your own, but then again, what would you do with your own frame?

I appreciate any help &if I do part it out, I can take pictures & list anything anyone may be interested in the For Sale section.

It may be the valves are rusted in the heads. Many have been freed and later run fine. But that does require removal of the heads. You could sell it as a parts bike with title. Part it out. Or make it a project bike. Up to you. Titled frame. Titled roller has value to some. Sales though get tough due to difficulty and expense of shipping.

Latest posts