GL1100 Carburetor leaking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Reaction score
Hi everyone I would like to share my experience with how I stopped my carburetors from leaking fuel out of the RH side carburetors.
Hopefully this will be helpful to you.
My carbs were leaking for a long time and I decided to fix them, I'm not very experienced but getting better at handling my tools and getting things done. I had previously bought some unbranded float valves and a cheap carb rebuild kit out of which I only used the diaphragms.
I stripped down the carbs cleaned everything adjusted the float levels and bench tested it with fuel and all was good.
When I put it back on the bike the motor started up good and was running great but fuel leaking from #1 and #3. Had them off 4 times and couldn't understand the problem. I thought that the springs in the needle valves were to weak for the pressure from the pump. Then I started thinking I would convert to a single carburetor as I had one off a Subaru Justy which is 1000cc and was thinking of trying that.
When I looked at that carb I noticed it had a return pipe back to the tank and thought to try that as when the carbs didn't need fuel it would get back to the tank taking the pressure off the needle valves.
I had it on in a couple of minutes started the bike and no more leaks. I still got to fit a return pipe to the tank but I was very pleased with the way this problem was so easily solved after the frustration of 2 days.
I since found out that there is a pressure reduction valve that can be added to the discharge on the petrol pump which would be easier as you would not need to have a return back to yhe tank.

Anyway I hope my experience maybe of help to anyone that reads this.

I lIve in Auckland NZ and the option of buying a quality carb kit is to expensive for mecas I have a small income.
George

Attachments

• 20220901_163347.jpg
    20220901_163347.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220901_163324.jpg
    20220901_163324.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts