GL1100 Starter not engging

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My starter has been giving me fits all winter.

Put a new solenoid on seemed to work. But it did not.
Put sea foam in the oil and rode it 100 miles and changed filter and oil while warm.
The starter was rebuilt by an alternator shop 2 yrs ago.

The starter just spins. Will not turn the engine.

Any ideas how to get the clutch to engage on the starter??

I want to ride but the bike don't wanna go.

:help: :help: :help:

Hmmm ...let’s hope a few good runs loosens it up ...if it is the starter clutch there’s really no easy fix ...I’ve had a couple bikes that would be this way ..but after running them awhile they got better ...

Two things; what is the weight of the oil you used in the engine? Depending on temp (below 40 degrees) anything more than 10w40 would be too thick for the starter clutch to engage .

The second thing is, if you are using 10w40 and the outside temp is above 40 degrees, then the starter clutch is not working and may need to come out.

Here is an easy video to understand how the starter clutch works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cevN9bfrgoE

I saw a thread somewhere that the fellow filled the crankcase with seafoam and then raised the front wheel high enough to allow the seafoam to soak in the clutch area. He'd left it that way for a few days. He then lowered it back down, drained it out and filled it with lighter oil and started it up to warm the oil, drained and refilled with normal oil. The starter clutch worked again.

Just an idea.....

I used Honda 10 w 40 oil.
The temp has been below 40 F
What weight of oil should I use for below 40?

Any idea how much sea foam was used when lifting the bike up on one end?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215678#p215678:1zxlkzsb said:
wilcoy02 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:51 am[/url]":1zxlkzsb]
I used Honda 10 w 40 oil.
The temp has been below 40 F
What weight of oil should I use for below 40?

Here is the Honda oil recommendation chart for the '83 1100:

image.php

If you are below 40 degrees ambient temp, the oil is thicker and with a dirty starter clutch it may not be able to get in there to lubricate the springs and allow it to catch.

I don't remember how much seafoam he used (maybe a few quarts?). I was more amazed that he had it lifted up so far in front, looked like a wing doing a wheelie :smilie_happy:

When the clutch worked, did the engine crank over fast or slowish?
Would the starter gradually come up to speed or was it instant?

A gummy clutch often seems to need a bit of a snap to engage. I guess to kinda get those rollers moving. Just what I've experienced.

I like that front wheel high trick. It's something I would do. Whatever works, and that should.
I would suggest is to remove the spark plugs before cranking it. Don't want hydrolock from fuel or oil.

Hmmmm Wes .....this is starting to suck ....that rear cover work on these bikes suck ..the stator the starter clutch ...the clutch ...and various other things is dam near motor out jobs

My guess is that as soon as the weather warms up a little, say 60°+ you'll go to start that thing and it'll spin for a while and then suddenly it'll sound like the big ends have just fallen out, you'll stop pressing the button because of the noise it just made and then the next time you press the button it'll turn over just like nothing ever happened, like there was never a problem!

Wanna bet?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215717#p215717:z2v08703 said:
chilidawg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 pm[/url]":z2v08703]
My guess is that as soon as the weather warms up a little, say 60°+ you'll go to start that thing and it'll spin for a while and then suddenly it'll sound like the big ends have just fallen out, you'll stop pressing the button because of the noise it just made and then the next time you press the button it'll turn over just like nothing ever happened, like there was never a problem!

Wanna bet?
Agreed. Then you might add a few ounces of MMO or ATF to clean and thin, and go to a synthetic diesel oil for cold weather use.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215717#p215717:3qar1s7m said:
chilidawg » Yesterday, 7:57 pm[/url]":3qar1s7m]

Wanna bet?
They sure can make an incredible racket.
I’ll bet that’s exactly the way it goes.

So question - would this be the prawls in the starter clutch then? Are they bathed in the engine oil?

If so, the aforementioned MMO/ATF + oil trick would be my first step as well. May not work, but worth trying before doing the more difficult repairs.

The starter clutch is not bathed in the engine oil (rides above it). Any lubrication is by splash.

You could try laying the bike on it's left side to allow oil up on the clutch, keep the kill switch OFF, and spin the starter a few times. That may be enough to lubricate the pawls (rollers held in place by springs) and let them work. No guarantees on this idea!!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215727#p215727:3pq84lbw said:
Tom_Charlton » Today, 9:37 am[/url]":3pq84lbw]
The starter clutch is not bathed in the engine oil (rides above it). Any lubrication is by splash.

You could try laying the bike on it's left side to allow oil up on the clutch, keep the kill switch OFF, and spin the starter a few times. That may be enough to lubricate the pawls (rollers held in place by springs) and let them work. No guarantees on this idea!!

Information like this is why I keep coming back here!

The Rats Nest never misses a beat on startup (vey mild winters here in Qld, our best riding time) but by the time I get to the bottom of the DD and stop for mail or paper the spragg clutch often fails on restart. Once I let go of the starter switch you hear it engage/ clunk and then the bike starts perfectly. :yahoo:

Latest posts