GL1200 Engine Rebuild - Part 4 - Getting to the Road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work day, short but good. Not going to put the old mud flap back on - does nothing for the look or performance of the bike and was not an OEM item.

Finished buttoning up the back end:
Rear View Together.jpg

Did a test of the signals with the LED lights installed. When LED lights are installed, the load on the circuit is less and as such, you get the hyper flash going on. Bought an LED flasher that is supposed to eliminate this hyper flash. The one I bought was supposed to have a variable pot to adjust the flash rate, but the one sent did not have this. It is a three prong signal flasher, this is needed to connect in the system so the self cancelling function works. This is the one I thought I ordered:
LED Hyper Flash Relay.jpg
This is the one received and connected in the circuit:
LED Hyper Flash Relay 2.jpg
Have this signal flasher temporarily installed to trial the circuit.

Took two videos, one with the OEM flasher and showing the hyper flash:

This is the video with the LED signal flasher installed, no hyper flash:
More to follow on this when I have the front fairing on.

Have installed LED lights in the running and brake light circuits. May have to install a ballast resistor or two depending on whether I get a light indication on the dash.

Had the engine started and went through the gears. Happy with everything so far.

Was a bit skeptical at first, but thought about the circuit and the third pin is to ground the flasher, give the power an easier path to ground then through the signal lights, and should work well in the OEM circuit. Thought about the hyper flash and this was quite common in the early model cars without LED lights. Let you know when you had a light out. Happy the LED flasher has worked. Installing resistors would be a pain.

Thanks for the compliment. LED lights all round are going to be nice.

I have a bike I can move, starts, and is starting to look good:
Bike - More work completed.jpg
Took a picture of the right and left front wheel profiles because I have installed the caliper covers and no one will see the work done. Front wheel right profile:
Right Wheel.jpg
Front wheel left profile:
Left Front Wheel.jpg
Have the side stand safety switch to install, the rad fan manual switch and indicator light, put all connectors in the brackets, shelter is ready to go on, and the front fairing to put together - last jig saw puzzle. Probably some other items, but it's progressing well. Emblems will be the last to adorn this updated '85 Limited Edition.

More wiring completed today. Have the side stand safety switch wired and working, the rad fan manual switch and light will be tested tomorrow. Going to start putting all the OEM connectors back in the individual holders. Spend a couple of days doing this, as well as start on the front fairing. Have to check the air dryer desiccant, probably needs a bake in the toaster oven to dry out.

Have installed a new speed sensor from a 2002 VT750. Same connection at the front wheel and wiring. Only difference was the connector. The 1200 connector under the shelter is a female connector, the speed sensor is a male. The VT750 sensor has a female connector. Made a wiring bridge with two male connectors and attached the new speed sensor. No reason it should not work. :beg:

Have some zip tie adhesive mounts for wires coming: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08DTB ... UTF8&psc=1 Keeps the install clean and organized, and replaces the old OEM mounts that were broken.

Short update. All wiring completed and proven to work. Will start on the handlebar lights and switches for the additional accessories and circuits I have added. Have the front fairing setup in the exercise room so I can start putting it back together.

Found two of the emblems I need, and ordered. The trunk lid and windshield emblems are the same:
NOS-Trunk-Windscreen-Emblem-Honda-85-GL1200-GoldWing.jpg
The young lady at Jackson Honda in Alabama was very surprised she had one.

The front fender emblem is being a bit more elusive. New is going to look so good.

Edit: Received two of the side cover emblems:
Side Cover GoldWing Emblem.jpg

Have 4 more identified and sourced out of the eleven I need. The side cover eagle emblems:
Side Cover GoldWing Emblem 2.jpg
and the front fairing HONDA emblem:
Front Fairing Emblem.jpg
Will be getting these two from CMSNL in Holland.

Did some work on the front fairing, some lights installed, air compressor dryer, and worked on the air wings. Lots of wires and components are tucked up in the fairing.

Using the Chicago screws on the air wings - have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes:
Chicago Screws.jpg
These are a good colour and come in varying lengths. Using blue Loctite on the screw threads to help keep the screws attached. Not true without pictures. Air wings attached with the attaching brackets painted with the faux chrome - looks pretty good, better than chrome I think because the chrome is too much, where this look is more muted - blends better:
Air Wings 1.jpg
The look from the front of the air wing. The Chicago screws are a good colour match. Used these on the front fender as well:
Air Wings 2.jpg

Been working on the front fairing, amazing how fast the work goes when you put on larger parts/pieces:
Front Fairing Going Together.jpg
Have sourced and bought 8 of the 11 emblems I need. The one for the front fender is on the wish list and still looking for it. A few years back I bought an '84 GW for parts and had 3 hours to take what I could. In the mix was a small bag of emblems with one of these being the front fender emblem. Cleaned it up today and looks very nice on the new paint job:
Front Fender Emblem.jpg

Liking my journal. It's an ongoing journey.

While I'm assembling the bike, I'm seeing parts/pieces that are a bit ratty compared to the freshly painted ones. The front fairing cowl stay is one of these. Only I will be able to see it, well hidden when on the bike, but it could be better. Going to put together a list of items that I will be addressing in a future work period such as the cowl stay, rebuild of the final drive, and the likes. I will be able to get some road time in and determine how the CERAKOTE product is standing up to the rigours of the road as well.

Painting some of the new screws/bolts I'm using. Don't know where the originals are, used Ziploc bags and labelled these. Everything I'm not finding right now will probably show up when I start the cleanup. The new bright screw look:
New Screws 1.jpg
is too contrasting against the darker painted surfaces - want to tone it down a bit:
New Screws 2.jpg

Something like getting a good haircut, makes me look younger until I look in the mirror. :Egyptian:

There will be another work period and I will do more to clean up the old girl. I enjoy bringing the old girl back up to snuff, but this work period - painting and engine rebuild was a bit taxing. Like shorter work periods - two to three weeks is good, then ride it like I stole it.

Spent yesterday installing the CB, radio, speakers and such in the front fairing:
CB-Radio Wiring 2.jpg
Nice to be working indoors and in the warm. There is a gross amount of wiring tucked into the left side of the fairing:
CB-Radio Wiring.jpg
not to mention the large wiring harness for other components. Install of the air compressor components in the right side of the fairing today. Almost ready to put back on the bike.

Good weekend with the front fairing ready to go on the bike:
Front Fairing Ready.jpg
Don't know why I go through the trouble of putting all the radio and CB components in, never use them; however, in the future if I sell it the new owner might want these and I'd lose them if I didn't. It is no longer a one handed carry. Will get a friend in to help install on the bike. Now it's on to finishing up the wiring on the bike, getting all the connectors in place. Look forward to seeing what is happening with the dash in place.

Started a list of possible work items for the next "major" work period in a year or two. Will do maintenance in between. Most of the items I can think of are cosmetic, cosmetic being painting. Most won't be visible, but I will know these items are done.

Here's my list so far:

Painting:

Cowl stay
Right side internal engine guard
Triple tree
Cover under speed cancellation unit
Frame
Centre rear fender (under seat)
Rear brake MC
Air chamber
Foot pegs

Work/Maintenance:

Replace rear shocks
Replace front fork springs
Rebuild final drive

I feel like Gerry sometimes, it's never over until it's gone.

Good work day. Most wiring taken care of, and ready for install of the front fairing. Only going to install one set of driving lights. Had two before I started this project, not necessary. Only issue with this is that I have more driving lights than I can use. Will think of the best way to divest myself of the extras.

Wanted to hook up the indicator lights and switches on the left handlebar. Not enough time today to make a switch box so I drilled into the aluminum and installed the lights and switches I need:
Switch - Indicator lights.jpg
Had the Mrs come out to give me a fashion sense between the original concept below:
Switch Prototype Installed.jpg
and the new through the aluminum look. We have decided on the new aluminum look - need some more 1/8" by 2" aluminum flat bar, just have to figure out how to close in the back.

Was turning out to be a good day. Had the front fairing installed and the shelter. Looked like a road bike again. Turned on the key and it went through the required dash sequence as before, the dash lit up and all indicator lights for RPM, speed, gear, and such came on. Cruise and cruise set indicator lights are supposed to cycle but did not (a remnant from before the project), cruise set indicator light stayed on - this is new. Engine started, no dash indications, blank, nothing, zilch, nyet and a few other expletives. Signals work, have the taillight indicator on the dash, expected this because I changed all the bulbs to LED, need resistors in the circuit. Neutral light on as it should be, LED light is very nice. Cruise set indictor on, don't know why.

Since the engine started, no issue with the CFI system. Oil pressure light cycles when key turned on and no light when engine started, good. What I need is speed, RPM, oil and water temp. Did not do any shifting.

Installed the shelter, and all indicators work, but not displaying as expected. Plug/unplug connectors a couple of times and most fuel management indicators reset. The fuel quantity and range, displayed for a nanosecond so expect it is a connector issue. Did not test the system to determine if the dash would change from KPH to MPH, or the oil pressure and temp would display.

Checked the supplement for the '85 FI model. First check is battery voltage, but have been in this situation before with a low battery voltage.

Going to be a day or so of troubleshooting.

Not too happy with the days work, but have been cheered up. Got the front windshield fairing and trunk lid emblems in the mail:
Trunk Emblem.jpg
No way I could have come close to the new OEM finish. Christmas in February!! :yahoo:

The emblems are really vibrant. Going to compliment the new paint job.

Now if I can only get it on the road. Going to connect the travel computer up without the front fairing on the bike. Should get normal readings and be able to change a few of the settings. Going to check the fairing connector wires for placement. I cleaned these during the project. For the speed issue, will hook up the original speed sensor - installed a speed sensor from a 750, same wiring - should work. Mostly I'm thinking there is a disconnect at the connectors.

Latest posts