GL1200 Engine Rebuild - Part 5 - Post Getting To The Road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a friend get me the throttle stop screw setting. I had mine very close to his, so leaving alone for the moment.

Checked the lash adjuster shim adjustment as well. Changed number 2 intake to "0" shim(s). Turned engine over cold, "0" compression. Started the engine and let warm up, still no compression. Installed one intake shim and compression was good - didn't have to touch the exhaust shim adjustment. With no shim, the intake valve must have been held open just a bit. Monitoring as usual.

Have a few Kms on the engine now, and quite pleased. I will be parking the bike on the side stand and keeping track of the first startup in the morning for blue smoke. As I have mentioned, shouldn't be any with a fresh engine rebuild, and new rings.

Will just ride for the time being. When I get to some 7K Kms and time for an oil change, will check compression at that time. Need to let everything settle out. Not concerned with a break in period. Research indicated that should be able to put everything back together and go, no need to do any fancy so much of this, then this type stuff.

In the meantime, will ride it like I stole it. Going to miss having something to do, but not to worry, I have a lot of other things to do.

24 hours on the side stand and no smoke on startup. Supposed to be miserable weather for the next few days. Intend to change out the #2 cylinder injector back to the OEM. Working on the fuel system is not one of my favourite pass times, takes a few days for the fuel smell to be gone.

This is going to be a very boring winter season. My projects are at a stage where I don't have to do any work if I don't want to - I get to pick and choose when to work in the coldish garage. The 1200 is a ride it like I stole it bike now - minor cosmetic items to tidy up. Heated clothing is the rig of the day.

Looking into what we need to do for our cross Canada trip next year. Pull out the trailer, make sure it is clean and the gear inside it is in good nick.

More time to exercise, it's good for me, but takes a lot of discipline.

Monitoring the engine performance regarding the new rings. Have to get some Kms on it before another compression test is done.

Thought I'd make a post to let the collective know I'm still alive and kicking, and still browsing.

Cheers

It's been about three weeks since I stated the 1200. Been on the side stand all this time. Decided to start the engine, let it warm up and see if what I have done is good. Satrt up was good, a bit of smoke, really had to look to notice, out the back end, but I think more from just sitting and whatever is in between the rings, and such. Pleased with the start.

There is still an unburnt fuel smell on start. Been thinking about this, and the IAC system is a key element in getting enough air into the cylinders when the throttle is closed, allows air to pass by the throttle plates. This is needed because the throttle plates close completely at idle. There is no fast idle cam to keep the plates open at cold start, or when riding.

Know the reed valves are working, but the air passages in the throttle bodies could be restricted/partially blocked. Thinking this would be a good project, remove air chamber and soak/clean/blow through the air passages. January/February would be a good time frame. Replace the small vacuum hoses on the reed valves - have replaced the larger ones.

Another two weeks or so and had to move the 1200/Spyder for work and such. Pleased to report that when the 1200 started, no blue smoke. The new rings are working well.

Have the unburnt fuel smell that I am surmising is a lack of combustion air. Will be looking into this soon.

Back at it. Going to replace the vacuum hoses with the proper size, thinking I might have some vacuum leaks with the SAE standard size(s). Need 3.5 and 4.5 MM hose.

Have a set of injectors from the '85 Limited Edition carcass I bought. These are in the mail to WitchHunter Performance as I mentioned.

Cheers

Had to get off my arse and do some work. Not used to having everything working.

Replaced some of the SAE vacuum hoses, using 3.0 and 4.0 mm instead of the 3.5 and 4.5 mm as per Honda spec. Will complete when I get the injectors back from Witchhunter. Have to take the air chamber out to get underneath at the remaining hoses.

Decided to revert and put the OEM PB sensors back on, taking the Suzuki MAP sensors off. The Suzuki MAP sensors will be my alternative should something happen to the OEMs.

Going to wait until the odometer hits 125K Kms (about another 2500 Kms) before another compression test. I repleced the original dash becasue the odometer stopped working. There's approximately 155K Kms on the bike. The new dash was installed just after the engine was completed so the engine clock is starting at approximately 122K Kms.

Interesting development. Renewed the vacuum hoses I could get to. There are a couple under the air chamber that will be done as I mentioned.

Yesterday after I replaced the vacuum hoses I could get to, I started the engine, let it get up to operating temp. The idle came in at about 1160 RPM, I was able to adjust the idle down to approximately 1000 RPM.

Started the 1200 this morning and it immediately went to a fast idle, dropped down to 880 RPM - not too far off the 1000 +/- 100 - as before but recovered to a fast idle quicker than before. Then idled down to 1040 RPM when engine at operating temp.

I noticed that the exhaust was different. Before I changed the vacuum hoses, there was more exhaust smoke, smelled like unburnt fuel, and I had to use the throttle to assist in getting the RPM over 1100 RPM. Today, the engine idled down with very little exhaust smoke, no unburnt fuel smell, and when at operating temp, virtually no exhaust smell or smoke - it was around the 2 deg C mark.

Will be interesting when I get the remaining vacuum hoses changed. Will also do the hoses from the reed valves. Need a 1/4 inch size I believe.

After 6 years you'd think I would not be learning something new about this bike.

I can mention to those who have the '85/'86 fuel injected GWs, use vacuum hose that is metric, not SAE.

Ordered the silicon vacuum hose for under the air chamber. Need 8mm vacuum hose. Like the way it bends.

Injectors have been done, and are on the way here: Shop info attached - hope it works.

Will be starting on it this week. Get the few things done to it that I want to do, then lay up the Spyder. This way will have a two up ride always available.

Attachments

• invoice220301-2.pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 136
Mentioned on a different thread that gas here jumped $0.10 to $2.089 CDN a litre - ouch. Now would also be a good time to have a project or two to do, can't afford to drive - government(s) aren't going to do anything to relieve the pain. The BC NDP Government is also going to implement it's carbon tax platform - so much for the NDP being the friend of the little guy.

The injectors I had cleaned came off the 1200 Limited Edition carcass I bought. Will be installing these when I get them. Won't be doing the injectors that are presently installed on the recommendation form the company. Injectors sitting on the shelf too long apparently need to be checked before using again, makes sense.

Latest posts