GL1200 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I bought from CMS, wanted the key chain:
CMS Key Chain.jpg

Have to wait for the paint to cure and harden a bit before continuing on the test pieces I did yesterday. Learning about doing two tone painting, when to tape and such.

Took the time to progress the engine. Installed the pistons with the make shift ring compressor:
Pistons Installed.jpg
New con rod bolts and nuts, and bearings. Will keep the old con rod bolts, nuts and bearings just in case. Made some piston supports and found that these have to be about the width of the piston, not a lot of room in there. Dropped the left side case on and the pistons slid right in. Getting the make shift ring compressors (hose clamps) out was an exercise in patience, but it worked. Cases are almost joined:
Engine Cases Joined - 2.jpg
Think I'll wait to mate the cases, review my pics, and layout the parts left to install. There are a lot more parts on the outside of the engine cases then on the inside.

Supply of parts and such is at a premium nowadays. Seems there is a run on a lot of items, especially in the camping world.

Got a notification from Fortnine that an item I had been watching is now available. Going to revert back to the air suspension. Rebuild the old shocks with new springs and hopefully the dampers. New shocks for a rebuild of approximately $200.00 CDN is reasonable.

Took a break from the paint side of this project. Had a look at the intake/exhaust ports on the heads - Gc33 did his as well. There were a few spots that needed attention:
Head ports 2.jpg
Took the dremel to these areas, followed by red and grey scrubbies to smooth out the dremel work:
Head ports 3.jpg
Not a port and polish, but it will suffice for the rebuild. Both heads done.

The air shock springs are being supplied by Fortnine - Progressive Suspension Spring Kit D - $97.00 before tax CDN. Waiting on the dampers - Progressive Suspension Damper Unit (Kit E) 16-4051. Hopefully get the dampers Unit as well then a full rebuild and all should be good.

Red,would you post the part number for these items when you get them?thanks

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219422#p219422:3mhj85f2 said:
Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:44 pm[/url]":3mhj85f2]
The air shock springs are being supplied by Fortnine - Progressive Suspension Spring Kit D - $97.00 before tax CDN. Waiting on the dampers - Progressive Suspension Damper Unit (Kit E) 16-4051. Hopefully get the dampers Unit as well then a full rebuild and all should be good.
:thanks: :salute:

Started the clean up so I can get on with the engine rebuild. Took time to install the centre stand and swingarm, mostly to get them out of the way. Will spend the weekend getting the garage cleaned up and laying out the various items in the storage bins. Want to make sure I've got all the internal parts/pieces installed before I put the cases back together.

Cleaned up the yard since the weather was good. Took the Goldwing out after dark since the weather was still nice. Just went around one of the local lakes and went downtown and to midtown before circling back.

Still cleaning up the garage so I can get on with the engine rebuild. Took time out to get a victory and see the way ahead. Started to put the trunk together. Lots going on with it, hinges, arm rests, speakers, lights and such:
Trunk Finishing 2.jpg
Trunk Finishing.jpg
Makes me feel better to see things going back together instead of being taken apart.

Have had a pet peeve regarding the trunk. Have to be careful when opening the lid and not let it go too far. Have always used the arm rests as a stop for the lid. Took the time today to make some connectors that I can use to install wires/leather shoe laces to restrict the forward movement of the trunk lid. Took a few pieces of 1/16 inch ABS, punched a hole in the centre and used electrical wire/cable staples. Here are a couple of piece of what I installed:
Trunk Restraint.jpg
Trunk Restraint 2.jpg
Should work just fine.

Have the engine case back from the machine shop. Had to have a helicoil installed. Have one bolt on order that is on a slow boat from Japan, estimated availability is end January. Can order this and a couple of other items from CMS in the Netherlands, probably quicker. Would let me get on with the rebuild, otherwise I will find other parts/pieces to paint, take off and clean, or whatever. The only other way ahead that I can think of is to bolt the cases together, torque all but this one bolt and assemble the engine. The bolt in question is in the centre of the cases. Should work. Would let me put a lot of parts/pieces on the engine ready for install into the frame. I'll chew on this tonight.

I can get you a 170mm bolt if you can make that work

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

No worries. Minor setback, thanks for the offer(s). Will be putting the cases together and doing what I can. In the meantime will be progressing a few other aspects of a bike refurbishment like finishing the painting, have the brown and gold metallic pieces ready for paint, and doing the Quicksilver chrome on some of the ratty chrome pieces.. Found another item that needs to be cleaned up and wants a fresh coat of paint, the battery box as well as the engine. The wiring will be looked at, and have to put the body parts back together. Hadn't planned on doing all these extra items, but now is the time. Have two other bikes to ride so I'm not having withdrawals.