GL1200 Engine Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe was discussed already and already done...thread has gotten long...
Was curious, on this engine rebuild are you honing and new rings only or boring and oversized? Pics please.

This C-19 issue has been clearing up the to do list quite well. Have lots of mini projects to do, but thinking of the major ones as well. My '85 Limited Edition is my retirement long term project. I've been working/maintaining it as required for the past 5 years. It is still a favourite to ride, and the Mrs likes to ride on it as well.

I've two major projects in mind for this bike. The first will be an engine rebuild, second is a fresh paint job. Painting is addictive, and after having freshened the paint on my 1500, like the new look, will do the 1200. This is spring of next year.

I will be doing the engine this fall/winter. Engine still performs well, but can't get rid of the smell coming out the exhaust. Expect the engine is a bit tired after some 36 years.

Have started accumulating the parts necessary for a rebuild. Most of these parts were bought over the past 5 years, oil seals for the engine output shaft - rear case for one, and such, when I would read that some were having issues finding the parts.

Have been sourcing and bookmarking various sites that have parts I need. Started a spreadsheet with what I have on hand and need to order.

Looking at a new primary drive chain P/N 23131-463-003 and 23114-MG9-000 Primary Damper Set, both aftermarket - any thoughts on these parts? Will make a bearing list of possible replacements.

The con rod and crank shaft bearings may be an issue. There is a company up island that I will contact and it installs new babbit on old shells. Could be used as a filler to keep costs down? Possibility.

Engine gasket set will be bought to provide the majority of the gaskets/o-rings and such that is needed; however will be using OEM head gaskets. This is because the head gaskets I used when I had the heads done last year needed to be "adjusted" to fit the dowels. No issues to date, but don't think it should be necessary to do any "adjustment" to the head gaskets. Engine Gasket set up here is approximately $200.00 CDN plus taxes shipped - supplier is in Ontario.

Have discussed the honing of the cylinders, and it's about $100.00 CDN for both halves.

Thinking the engine rebuild will be approximately $1,000.00 to $1500.00 CDN. Will breath new life into the old girl, and be a great ride. Have to take exchange, taxes, duty and such into account whenever I estimate costs.

Will update as I progress.

If wondering why, keeping the bike, and have never done this before. Seems this is the year of stay at home so need projects to keep busy. Steve83 mentioned on another thread that doing this is very rewarding, think so myself.
My 84 Aspencade trike only has 44K miles but when I started her up this spring she started having a sound like a tap, tap, tap then after it warmed up it was a knock, knock....who'd there. I think I need to rebuild the 1200 but everything I read online there are no parts to do it. How did you manage?

Have to wait for the paint to cure and harden a bit before continuing on the test pieces I did yesterday. Learning about doing two tone painting, when to tape and such.

Took the time to progress the engine. Installed the pistons with the make shift ring compressor:View attachment 20704New con rod bolts and nuts, and bearings. Will keep the old con rod bolts, nuts and bearings just in case. Made some piston supports and found that these have to be about the width of the piston, not a lot of room in there. Dropped the left side case on and the pistons slid right in. Getting the make shift ring compressors (hose clamps) out was an exercise in patience, but it worked. Cases are almost joined:View attachment 20705Think I'll wait to mate the cases, review my pics, and layout the parts left to install. There are a lot more parts on the outside of the engine cases then on the inside.
Hi mate, bummer about the yielded rod bolt. My GL1200 has just done the same thing! I also ordered some new ones from CMS. How did you get the old rod bolts out of the rod? They seem to be a press fit and I’m a bit reluctant to whack them out with a hammer and damage something.

Latest posts