GL1200 Paint Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update - progressing the work. Primed the three metal trim pieces and painted these with SEM Trim Black:
Metal Parts Primed.jpg
Metal Parts Primed 2.jpg
have to do a small repair to one of the corner pieces with JB Weld, ongoing. Will coat two of these with CERAKOTE this weekend, thinking it will work out just fine.

Went to my paint guy this afternoon to pick up the first paint supply. Picked up 1 pint of the gold metal Flake, 1/2 pint of the brown for test, 1/2 pint of gloss black for the side covers, front under light cover, and the wheels, and 1 quart of clear. Will be using the gloss black on the wheel rims, and then a coat of CERAKOTE for protection - this is dependent how the CERAKOTE bonds to the metal trim pieces. Picked up some other items such as acetone, a 2K primer for the air wings that are SS. Found out that a red scrubby is approx equivalent to a 320 grit sand paper. Cost of supplies today is $200.00, but items such as tape, acetone, scrubby brings the cost down to about $180.00, not bad for a complete motorcycle paint job. I'm estimating a total bill of approximately $400.00 for the paint job, still inexpensive. Mentioned at the paint shop that the bike will have one paint scheme and gold metal flake colour, not two, and one pin stripe scheme - not three.

Some progress today. Used 2K epoxy primer on the SS air wings and plastic pieces for the side mirrors:
Expoxy Primed Parts.jpg
# coats and then leave for paint. Have an oops on one of the side mirror plates. Did try and fix, but teh more I (you) play with a fix, the worse it generally gets. Had other things to do so moved on - secret to keeping the I can fix it now syndrome in check. Will fix the oops this weekend after the epoxy sets and hardens.

Prepped four pieces for brown metal flake:
Brown Metal Flake Test Pieces.jpg
. Used 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" fineline tape:
Side Panel taped.jpg
Once these were applied used green painters tape to add paper to protect areas not needing paint right now - not as sticky as some of the tape you get at the auto paint store. Used 1/16" tape because of the corners to be "bent" around. Have to rethink how the brown is taped off. There is one corner that is too sharp for a non-stencil application. Red arrow shows where this is applicable.

Used an inexpensive Princess Auto mini spray gun 0.5 mm nozzle for this trial:
PA Mini Gun 0.5 mm nozzle.jpg
Sprayed at about 40 PSI:
Front Fender Brown Metal Flake 2.jpg
Not bad job, but not for this application - maybe I'm too picky. Going to visit my paint guy Monday morning with samples, expect I'll get the brown metal flake lightened a bit. Going to sand down the paint and redo. Know what has to be done.

Removal of the tape and paper was done after leaving the paint to set up for 1/2 hour. Good clean line, but there is a build up (ridge of paint. Thinking that the gold metal flake will do the same. Will be looking at what can be done regarding this "ridge" before application of pinstripe, and clear coat.

More painting today. Going to use a better gun for the gold metal flake. Looking forward to the results.

Had a thought in the early morning hours. A gold and brown pearl colour scheme. One extra step, but I do like the pearl. Will think more on this after the painting today.

Since this is a learning test as well as determining the colour scheme, tried a 3000 grit wet sand of the new brown/old gold interface after 24 hours. Seems to be a no-no. Taped the pieces after 24 hours. Wonder how much paint will come off. Lots to discover.

Finished up the painting for the day, applied the gold metal flake - 3 coats to 6 pieces - no clear coat applied yet. Have a couple of oops to fix, better start than I had with the 1500. The pieces turned out pretty good, but all these will be sanded and more colour applied. Going to leave these alone for a few days and ascertain what is a good time frame for a wet sand. Have four pieces so will wait for 2 days do one, then the next day and so on. Here's a couple of pieces of the product without clear applied:
Paint Test 4.jpg
Paint Test 2.jpg
This pic shows the old pinstripe lines, will have to sand to get rid of the old pinstripe line. Will be paying attention to all the two tone pieces with regards to this:
Paint Test 1.jpg
There is a ridge /build up between the two colours, seems to be something that happens. Hoping I'll be able to sand this out, but if not, have already decided that the pinstripe will be used to "mask" this feature.

Used the Meiji mini spray gun - 0.8 mm nozzle, very similar to the Iawata LPH80 at 20 PSI. Max fan pattern is 3 inch, but it flows a lot of product. Good for detail work, and didn't do too bad a job on these larger pieces. May use a slightly bigger gun for the pieces that are one colour - will have the same tip size. This gun does let me spray without a lot of cleanup to do afterwards.

I had mentioned that I may lighten the brown metal flake, or even do the pearl aspect. Seeing the pieces with both colours new/fresh, not a bad match to the original. Thinking these will look much better with the clear coat applied.

Took the test pieces in to my paint guy. We discussed the way ahead and have decided to keep the brown metal flake as is. Will be sanding the test pieces and new paint will be applied.

Prepping the front wheel rim for new black paint and then a protective coating of CERAKOTE. Before and after pics:
Tire Rim Before.jpg
Tire Rim Prepped.jpg
Rear wheel rim will be done later.

Got the front wheel rim painted today. Took approximately 5/6 hours to prep and tape for paint. Rear wheel rim will get done a bit later:
Front Wheel Painted.jpg
and prepped for CERAKOTE application tomorrow:
Front Wheel Prepped for CERAKOTE.jpg
Preparation for painting is time consuming. Tried using the small airbrush:
Airbrush.jpg
Switched to the 0.5 mm nozzle, but think the compressor is not up to the task. A better compressor will be necessary, think the airbrush is fine. Did two rounds of the rim with the airbrush, but switched over to my new Meiji F55 - similar to the Iawata LPH80. Will be using the Meiji F55 for the CERAKOTE. Only doing one liberal application, all it calls for.

Parts/pieces needing CERAKOTE applied are done - lathered it on fairl liberally. Notice there are some small oops, but if you can see them, I've run you over. The front rim turned out very nice:
Front Wheel Finished.jpg
Need to cure/harden for 4/5 days. The black paint is a Toyota gloss black, nothing special. Think this is the way the rims looked when new. Now that the rims will be done, the brake system components need to be spruced up as well - snowball effect. Have two spare brake calipers and will look for the third. Can't remember which of the front calipers I need, but this will be a small project down the road before next year. Might get the rear done during this work session - hmmmmmmmmmm.

Down tools for a few days while we go for a weekend away. Back at it next week.

Cheers

Thanks. It's the snowball effect coming into play. Make something in one area look really good, then have to do the rest. The front forks have a nice polished shine, the front wheel rim is sparkly, now have to do the brake calipers to match. Back wheel is going to be done, and the surrounding parts/pieces will have to be addressed. Will it ever stop! :music: :music:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219325#p219325:bpd552ys said:
Rednaxs60 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 am[/url]":bpd552ys]
Thanks. It's the snowball effect coming into play. Make something in one area look really good, then have to do the rest. The front forks have a nice polished shine, the front wheel rim is sparkly, now have to do the brake calipers to match. Back wheel is going to be done, and the surrounding parts/pieces will have to be addressed. Will it ever stop! :music: :music:
:smilie_happy: NO! It never stops. The Slug was painted and ready to sell when I decided the engine color needed to be changed back, then noticed the carbs should be cleaned while off, clean up more connections while the engine is out of the bike, notice side stand could use some paint, etc, etc, etc................

Going to dig out the brake calipers I have on hand and determine which of the front I have to source. Bike may not be moving, but it'll sure look good!

Edit - had a thought while I was walking to the corner store. If the CERAKOTE product I have works on paint as it appears to, I could apply it to the underside of the front fender and the rear fender where the license plate is to protect the surface. Think I'll try this after I get back.

Back from a great weekend on Quadra Island at the Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge. Very nice place. Spent the first full day - Saturday - touring and exploring the island - Rebecca Spit, Main Lake, over to Granite Bay (north end of the island), Lucky Jim Mine (only gold mine on the island from the early 1900s):
Lucky Jim Mine.jpg
Lucky Jim Mine 2.jpg
Spent the second day kayaking in Granite Bay out to the Chained Islands:
Kayak Quadra Island.jpg

Starting to determine how best to do the two paint panels. Honda painted these, gold metal flake first then the brown metal flake, and the various black areas such as the ones on the side panels. I have decided to do a test piece where I tape 1/2" in from the brown edge that will allow me to knock down the ridge that will be against the tape:
Side Panel Temp Pinstripe.jpg
I should be able to measure out and tape off the brown area without disturbing the gold paint at the interface. The black area will be easy to tape off. That's the plan, can't hurt to try, may work well.

Latest posts