GL1200 Paint Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% humidity today, supposed to clear up this weekend. Think I'll do more cleaning/prep work for now. Have to get some parts off the bike, centre stand, rear wheel, final drive for cleaning, paint and CERAKOTE. The more time I have, I think of more parts that would benefit from a cleaning, fresh paint and a ceramic coating. Always need a variety of work to keep me motivated.

Prepping for painting, seems that's all I get to say of late, but has to be done - no one stepping up to the plate to do it for me. Daughter and son-in-law have sent me my birthday gift - BB8 coffee mug from Star Wars:
BB8.jpg
Cute mug but not conducive to drinking coffee. Now to get BB9 - the bad ass duplicate of BB8.

Need some beige primer, have a grey but think it will be too dark for the gold and brown colours. Have looked at pics for original colours. The plastic corner pieces on the saddlebags were originally black, one of the PO painted these a gold colour:
Saddlebag Corner.jpg
they will be painted black before install. The side mirror accent panel(s):
Side Mirror Panels.jpg
were also painted a gold colour, but are a silver colour from the factory. Going back to silver. Thinking this will be the only colour changes.

Picked up some tracing paper today to do templates of the various brown colours. Want these to make sure I get as close as possible to what is there before I paint.

Going to remove the rear wheel and FD tomorrow so I can start "prepping" these for paint and CERAKOTE.

Cheers

Thank you. Insanity rules!! :doh: :mischief:

Working on the rear wheel - took it off yesterday. Should have it done by end next week. FD to come off be cleaned up them apply CERAKOTE. Still pondering over the swing arm and centre stand. This was supposed to be a freshening of the gold/brown metal flake paint job, and has now morphed into a bit more, teach me for being an inquisitive person. Might as well do as much paint refresh as possible now while I have it torn apart. It will get done.

Talked to my paint guy yesterday. Got the chocolate brown for the trim pieces, inner front fairing, speakers and such. We discussed the pinstripe. Watched a video where a painter did the pinstripe in 3 steps. Did a base colour applied tape where the pinstripe was to be. Dialed in his spray gun, applied the next pin strip colour over the first pinstripe, used a 1/8 inch tape for separation and applied tape over this second colour. Sprayed the final colour, then removed the tape. End result was very nice.

Thought about my requirement. Will spray the gold metal flake first, tape for the brown metal flake, only have one small ridge to contend with. Tape for the pinstripe I want, and use my airbrush - have ordered the connectors so I can use my larger compressor:
Airbrush.jpg
connected to the compressor (the small unit that came with the airbrush doesn't cut it) to spray the black pinstripe. Then 2/3 coats of clear and all should be good. Will try the airbrush in other black pieces first to make sure that the finish is what I expect. Using the airbrush keeps over spray to a minimum.

Today is shaping up to be first actual paint day. Have prepped the test pieces and have the way ahead "mapped" out for these - only applying the gold metal flake (no clear) today. Let sit for 24 hours then prep for brown metal flake, then pinstripe then clear coat. Have a few other pieces for gold metal flake - 6 I think - that will get gold metal flake and clear today.

The pieces I sprayed with CERAKOTE MC-5100 are being done today. Tried masking the CERAKOTE side, but none of my tape would stick to the CERAKOTE. Sanded a spot and tape did adhere. Note to self - if you are going to use this type of product (ceramic coating) on parts/pieces, let it be the last coating applied.

Good paint day today. Have quite a few pieces done/finished:
Paint finished.jpg
I'm pleased with the difference between old and new:
Paint Comparison.jpg
Here's a better pic of the finished product:
Paint finished 2.jpg
Will be prepping for another paint day Wednesday.

The four two colour test pieces have been painted with the gold metal flake. The outline of the brown metal flake is visible and this will make taping for the brown colour easier.

Feels like it's coming together, and I'm moving forward.

Thanks. It's starting to motivate me again.

Forgot to add some technical details. Used the Meiji F55 mini spray gun:
F55-G-z5fJaB.jpg
equivalent to the Iawata LPH80. Mentioned that I bought these with the CERAKOTE. Spraying at 18/20 PSI. Fan open about 1/3 turn, fluid approximately 1 1/2 turns. Used my home made spray booth:
Home Made Spray Booth.jpg
There is a furnace filter between the spraying and fan. Had the door open so the fan discharge was direct to outside. Worked well and kept the fumes, etc down to a minimum, especially with the clear coat.

Did some outside work this morning. Trimmed the two trees in the front. Sonya's been wanting to do this for a bit.

Have the four two colour test pieces ready for the brown metal flake:
Brown Metal Flake Test Pieces.jpg
Have these taped and masked off. The taping is done a specific way to facilitate the pinstriping:
Side Panel For Brown Metallic.jpg
The orange tape is outlining the brown metal flake area, but also is the 1/8 inch pinstripe location. The blue tape is just touching the orange tape so that I can pull the blue tape off without removing the orange tape. The paper to make sure there is no spray on the gold metallic is applied with a green painters tape, so I will be taking the tape off in layers when finished spraying, leaving the orange tape on as a guide for the pinstripe process.

Once the brown metal flake is cured/hardened for 24/48 hours, will use the orange tape as the guide tape for masking off for pinstripe. Will use the 1/8 inch tape on either side of the orange tape, apply a 1/16 inch tape as the second pinstripe location, then a 1/8 inch tape on the side of the 1/16 inch tape. Here is a pictorial:
Fender Pinstripe Details.jpg

Tomorrow will be applying the brown metal flake, and prepping other pieces for paint on Wednesday/Thursday.

Cheers

Painted the four test pieces with brown metal flake. Turned out not too bad, may have to do three of them again, too picky I know. The front fender turned out pretty good so I taped it for the pinstripe paint as I mentioned in my last post. Need to have less coffee or have someone younger with more steady hands apply the tape; however, not to happen so I taped and sprayed with the Meiji F55 mini gun. Set at 15 PSI, zero-minimal fan and 1 turn on the product. Worked out well for my first time ever:
Pinstripe 2.jpg
Needs clear coat. Cheers

Busy paint day. 5 more pieces done, brown metal flake, gold metal flake, black trim on side covers and pinstripe done today waiting for clear coat:
Pinstripe Done.jpg
Lots of taping and masking to get this far. Expect Sunday will be the clear coat day. 4 large pieces to do, couple of small ones and the front fairing. Have the brown for the trim pieces. Still working on the rear rim.

The best part is it is all the same colour and pinstripe theme. I'm hoping these turn out as brilliant as the one colour pieces.

Edit - I've mentioned before that I now understand why a person does not take on a project such as this or the engine rebuild. Lots of time consumed getting to the end product, but the finished product is well worth the effort if one is so inclined, unless you have deep pockets. There have been comments about painting a bike, that it could devalue the bike as if you are trying to hide something, something like painting a house just before you sell it. I have found from this project that you can tell a lot about a bike once you concentrate on certain aspects. Didn't expect to find three pinstripe or two colour themes on this bike - now I will only have one. I'm of the opinion that old, faded paint is just fine, but a freshly painted bike, bringing it back to close to out he factory look is good. Lots of custom paint jobs out there that if you do want to sell your bike, it becomes a limited market. If you are going to do refresh with the original paint scheme, I think it's alright. I will admit that a single colour paint scheme regardless of what it is is way easier than a two tone pinstripe paint scheme. My 1500 was a three part system, but I was able to prime the parts/pieces and spray, beautiful finish. Having to account for two tone paint scheme and pinstripe at the same time is a bit above my pay grade at this time, but I will ponder this for the next time, if there is one. The 1500 is closer to 95%, but the 1200 will be a good 90%. 90% is good for a garage DIY paint project. Just my thoughts and a small rant for the day.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219504#p219504:2cnqiq9s said:
Rednaxs60 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:56 pm[/url]":2cnqiq9s]
The best part is it is all the same colour and pinstripe theme. I'm hoping these turn out as brilliant as the one colour pieces.

Edit - I've mentioned before that I now understand why a person does not take on a project such as this or the engine rebuild. Lots of time consumed getting to the end product, but the finished product is well worth the effort if one is so inclined, unless you have deep pockets. There have been comments about painting a bike, that it could devalue the bike as if you are trying to hide something, something like painting a house just before you sell it. I have found from this project that you can tell a lot about a bike once you concentrate on certain aspects. Didn't expect to find three pinstripe or two colour themes on this bike - now I will only have one. I'm of the opinion that old, faded paint is just fine, but a freshly painted bike, bringing it back to close to out he factory look is good. Lots of custom paint jobs out there that if you do want to sell your bike, it becomes a limited market. If you are going to do refresh with the original paint scheme, I think it's alright. I will admit that a single colour paint scheme regardless of what it is is way easier than a two tone pinstripe paint scheme. My 1500 was a three part system, but I was able to prime the parts/pieces and spray, beautiful finish. Having to account for two tone paint scheme and pinstripe at the same time is a bit above my pay grade at this time, but I will ponder this for the next time, if there is one. The 1500 is closer to 95%, but the 1200 will be a good 90%. 90% is good for a garage DIY paint project. Just my thoughts and a small rant for the day.

Cheers
:good: :salute: