GL1200 Paint Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting up another annoying paint thread. Separating this from the engine rebuild thread.

Lots of research done to date regarding the paint colours, Gold Metallic, and a dark brown, both colour codes available. Pinstripe is another issue. Thought the pinstripe was used to hide the interface between the gold and brown colours, but found out today that that is not the case. Took some time to remove the pinstripe from the left side panel. Used a razor blade to get under the pinstripe and removed the pinstripe. Took about 20 minutes to remove the pinstripe from this one small side panel. The pinstripe is a 3/8 inch tape that is installed around the brown colour. Here's a pic showing this:
Side Panel Pinstriping.jpg
You can see the width of the pinstripe and how it butts up against the brown colour.

This has given me and idea in that once painted, could use 3-4 pinstripe tapes to achieve the same effect. Would have to learn how to curve the pinstripe.

There are emblems to remove, not an issue.

Front fender is metal, the rest of the body parts are ABS. The 1500 paint project has prepared me for this, and with C-19, have some time to occupy.

There air deflectors (wings) and the side mirror accents were painted with a spray can in a gold colour. These pieces will be painted the same as the body panels making for a nice look:
Two Different Paints.jpg

The PO trimmed a lot of the body parts and pieces with a gold piping:
Trim Piping.jpg
Will be removing this from the bike, doesn't add to the look and I find it does not necessarily stay where it is put. This pic shows the fairing trim piece. This paint has a green hue to it that is different from the paint on the shelter in the pic above.

Mentioned in a different thread that I always thought this bike had been in some sort of altercation that the PO never mentioned. After 5 years, not an issue, but there are two distinct colour schemes on this bike. This project will correct this.

A nice fresh paint job will just bring out the old girl's original personality. I'm sure these '85 Limited Edition bikes were quite stunning on the showroom floor.

Will post as I progress, but the priority is the engine rebuild.

Cheers

1500 is done and time to get on with the 1200. Started cleaning the various parts/pieces and while doing this, was thinking of what needs to be done to get a good result.

The inside of the saddlebags, trunk and saddlebag covers will need to be painted with a black, my preference is Eastwood's plastic resurfacer. The undersides and such will be painted with Rustoleum, colour to match the gold metal flake. Most of these surfaces are very rough in texture and this makes cleaning a PITA. All parts/pieces will be primed, debating on a 2K or just a standard primer, including the areas that I will spray with Rustoleum. This worked out well on the 1500 heat protectors and lower front cowling.

Have areas to repair. The PO used a gold coloured touch up paint to cover up dings in the finish.

Going to do a little at a time, and one day miraculously, it will all be done.

Cheers

Forgot that I had started a paint thread for my 1200. Time to update and keep current.

Been taking parts off the bike, removing attached items such as lights and emblems. The most finicky aspect is removing the pinstripe. Using a razor blade and diligently removing the pinstripe. Thought the pinstripe was not under the clear coat but it is. Have removed the front fairing, cleaned the connectors on the right side, and removed the other items such as the air compressor, radio components and such. The front fairing is substantially lighter when empty:
Front Fairing Stripped.jpg

The paint has faded with time:
Faded Gold Metal Flake.jpg
You can see the difference in this picture. The original colour was quite striking. It will be good to have the paint scheme all one colour. I have mentioned in other posts that I believe this bike was in an altercation of sorts because there appears to be two colours, and the pinstripe is different - something you wouldn't notice at the start.

Too late now to worry about. While the engine rebuild is on hold, waiting for two bearings to be taken out, and new put back in, will be progressing the prep for paint.

Have been looking for a couple of good reasonably priced paint spray guns. The CDN distributor for CERAKOTE has the Meiji F55-G Mini gun 0.8 mm nozzle. This looks very similar to the Iwata LPH80. Not a lot of info on the web about these but the fellow at the company was very forthcoming regarding these. You can sometimes tell when a person is genuine, or not by how easy the person talks about an item, and how it has related to their work life - no guarantee but it was a good discussion. It's a good bit less in cost than the LPH80. Parts are available as well. Here are the specs:
Meiji F55-G Mini Paint Gun.jpg
Low air CFM requirement so good for the smaller DIY garage compressors.

Hot here today so going to do more prep work in the garage.

Had all but the shelter and gas flap pinstripe to remove so I got on with it and finished up last night. Pinstripe off all parts, and glue removed from all but the front fairing. Should get to that today. Find that the "GOOF OFF" product combined with rubbing alcohol at 99% from Costco takes the glue off quite nicely. Have to take the front fender off, should get at that today as well.

Will be looking at the front wheel regarding the finish. Have to order the CERAKOTE MC-5100 clear coat for the engine, but the CDN supplier only has quart cans (ready to use - no mixing required). May have to do the front wheel as well.

Will start cleaning the area around where the engine is.

Took the front fender off and pinstripe as well. The more I do to this bike the more its lineage comes to the fore. Not only was there two different pinstripes on the main body panels, the front fender is different as well:
Fender Pinstripe.jpg
Pinstripe looks good and it is the look I will go with; however, it is a 1/8" and 1/16" black pinstripe put on after the fender was painted and clear coat applied. This gives me the idea to use the same pinstripe tape and clear coat after these are on. Honda would have applied the same pinstripe as on the body panels. Wicked web we weave, and buyer beware really is applicable.

Will be painting the underside of the fender to clean it up:
Front Fender Inside.jpg

The fender brackets need a cleaning/freshening up as well:
Front Fender Bracket.jpg
These brackets are riveted on. Going to do some research and see what I can source because it would be nice to remove these, paint the fender and install brackets that have been redone as well. Small bolts to fit with nyloc nuts would do the trick as well. Can use a dremel to remove the rivets. Opinion from the collective - should I do this or work around the brackets as installed. Already know what way I'm going, but can't hurt to garner other opinions.

Work is progressing nicely. Getting a new head of steam up for this project. Cheers

My sentiments exactly. My brother told me that If I'm thinking about it, I'm going to do it. Will be taking the front forks off for a fresh polishing too. These old wings sure do keep one's time occupied. It'll be worth it when all is said and done.

Got the front fender brackets off and have explored a way to put them back on. Will be going to the fastener store and try to get the parts I need.

The front fairing was the last part to be cleaned up. Removed the pinstripe glue and the glue/silicon that was keeping the fairing molding attached. Nasty bit of work, but all done. Found cracking in the lower rear corner of the fairing:
Front Fairing Cracks.jpg
This and the trunk are the only pieces that have cracks that need to be fixed. A lot fewer than the 1500. Getting off lucky on this one.

Thanks to all who are watching and agreed! Great learning experience, deciphering the bikes lineage as I go is an eye opener. People just aren't very forthcoming with information when you buy something :crying:. The 1200 painting is quite a bit less than the 1500, but combined with the engine rebuild is keeping me busy.

Have ordered the CERAKOTE MC-5100 clear for the engine. Had to purchase a quart so there will be other parts being considered for CERAKOTE application. Thinking the final drive, and wheel rims. The 1500 engine may be an option as well - have to check on the shelf life.

Looking at rejuvenating the emblems. Went looking for an airbrush and paint at the local hobby store. No joy on the airbrush. Got the paint I think will do at a craft store. My partner in crime, Sonya, has decided to assist and has taken this on as a project. I mentioned using an airbrush for the gold as it should be applied first, then the additional black and red colours. We will seal this with a top coat. We'll see how this goes.

Edit - keeping posts to a dull roar. Bought an inexpensive offshore paint gun 0.5 mm nozzle. Going to try this to airbrush the emblems with the gold colour.

Finished cleaning and polishing the front forks. This pic is with the right fork polished and the left just wiped off:View attachment 1Last time these were off was when I did the heads last year, stood up pretty good without any attention. This pic is with both cleaned and polished using buffing wheels and then sealing with Flitz Protectorant:Like the end result. Next time these come off will do a wet sand before cut and polish.

Attachments

• Front Forks  - right polished.jpg
    Front Forks - right polished.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Front Forks  - Both Polished.jpg
    Front Forks - Both Polished.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 158
Sonya is on a mission! I used Krylon gold metallic primer/paint combo as the base colour. Sonya's filling in the black and reds as I type - no moss growing on this girl. Will clear coat with a high gloss. The only way this would be better is to use an airbrush to spray the base colour. Since it's only paint can always do again down the road. A small, homemade sand blaster rig that I have viewed on the web would do the job.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218710#p218710:1m1nbgye said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 4:05 am[/url]":1m1nbgye]
:useless: :hihihi: :ahem:

You gents are very particular! Here are preliminary pics of the colour, still have touch up to do then clear coat:
1200 Emblem 1.jpg
1200 Emblem 2.jpg
Colour match is pretty good. Like it better than the factory finish. - the HONDA emblem that goes on the front fairing is not quite the same. These will be a good fit.

Nice color!

I second the riveting. Easy to do with pop rivets, and that is what it looks like it has.

Latest posts