GL1200 Paint Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let these pieces sit over night, much better this morning:
Clear coat 3.jpg
Thinking did okay.

Not a lot to report regarding this project. Have 3 more larger one colour pieces finished, and working on the pinstripe for others. Long days when doing two colours and pinstripe. Painting black tomorrow, pinstripe and a couple small pieces. Moving more finished pieces into my exercise room, use the Nordic Track - the bike is for looks:
Finished Pieces.jpg
After tomorrow it's on to the front fairing. Have some cracks to repair first then paint.

More pieces painted. Getting at the smaller items. One oops today, lower right corner of the trunk lid:
Trunk Pinstripe.jpg
Didn't notice it when I sprayed the black. Thinking of what can be done. Possibly apply the tape and use a pinstripe brush to fix. Rest turned out good. Have a couple of colours to spray tomorrow: two small pieces for silver, two small pieces for brown and pinstripe and the small piece under the headlight. Think I'll break out a couple of spray guns to expedite the process. Then it's on to the rear wheel rim, brown trim pieces such as the rear speakers, and the front fairing. The exercise bike in the post above is making a good parts holder.

Finished the clear coat on the 14 pieces in the above post. Look very good. Happy with the progress to date. Spent yesterday prepping the rear wheel rim for paint and CERAKOTE. Starting to look at what is left to paint besides the front fairing. Spent time cleaning the front fairing and addressing the corner cracks. I had mentioned in a previous post that the rear left corner needed attention:
Front Fairing Cracks 2.jpg
Used the dremel to V the cracks and applied a coat of ABS cement. Will let sit until tomorrow then do a sanding and make a determination as to whether use more ABS cement or a finishing filler.

Not really. Could have been a fall on this side since it is in the corner - would hit first. Cracks in the body panels are interesting creatures. Tells a lot about the bike, my 1500 had many as I mentioned in the painting thread for it - the 1500 had a hard life. The 1200 as well in that there were 3 different pinstripe themes on the bike. Makes me think that body panels were changed for some reason. Doing this work and noticing the differences makes me think I'm resurrecting a barn find, even though it was on the road. Even after all this work, and subsequent observations, will it make me a better sleuth when buying an older GW, maybe, but there is only so much you can do. What this work will do for me is to realize that if I were to get another retirement project GW, I would know what might be needed in the long run.

The good news is the bike is going to look real good, very happy with the results to date.

Cheers

Moving forward. Took FD and centre stand off the bike and will be getting these two items ready for a fresh coat of Paint.

Have the FD cleaned:
Final drive.jpg
need to tape and get ready for paint. Think two coats of epoxy primer, some silver metal flake (have on hand), and then clear or CERAKOTE.

Same for the centre stand, but think it will have to be blasted with some form of blast medium first:
Centre Stand.jpg
Hasn't seen much love over the years. Doing the centre stand because too many parts including the exhaust system have to come off to remove the centre stand for maintenance.

Paint day today. Last of the big items(I hope) are mostly done. The FD and rear wheel rim are finished:
Final Drive Gear Final.jpg
Rear Wheel Final.jpg
The front fairing has the gold and brown metal flake applied:
Front Fairing Gold-Brown Painted.jpg
Going to let the front fairing sit overnight then tape for pinstripe. Should have pinstripe and clear coat applied by end week. Will only have the black and brown accent pieces left, but these are small pieces and do not need clear coat.

Front fairing finished today, clear coat done. Here is my colder weather paint booth:
Cold Weather Paint Booth.jpg
Used a small heater in between coats. Now on to the small pieces. Won't have to set up the paint booth.

Edit: Have done most of the brown trim pieces, good colour match:
Brown trim pieces 1.jpg
Need to do the brown on the front fairing and a couple of other pieces I have to locate.

Picked up the sandblasted parts yesterday. Had the centre stand, and rear bracket and cover done. Now for two coats of epoxy primer, black high gloss paint, and lastly CERAKOTE. Going to look good and never be seen. Thinking I might take the swingarm off and give it a refresh as well - now is the time, the handle bars. Give the handle bars a good cleaning and polish to match the new paint job. Good candidates for the CERAKOTE finish, brushed/polished aluminum. Nice to have these done before next summer. Then, in keeping with the occasion, I have contemplated the switch housings, and how an airbrush could be used to refresh these.

Will be using an airbrush on the vents, small tiddly work. Once I get more familiar with the airbrush, thinking that I can use it to refurb the emblems. May find an inexpensive emblem on line and do a trial or two to determine how effective it will be. My paint guy thinks it's doable. These are the last items that I will put back on the bike so I have some time to work at it.

Caveat to all the above and what I am doing. I'm realizing I am an old fart that still wants to tinker and keep active. It has been, and still is, my intention to continue doing work to bring my '85 Limited Edition back to as close to factory condition as possible as my retirement project, and in between the work, enjoy the ride. I'm learning so much that I had not known before because of this. Sonya thinks I'm a bit out in left field, but admits that it is going to look good, and of course for brownie points I do mention that it will never be as good looking as she :music:. It's been a good run so far.