GL1200 Paint Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a small hiccup with the engine assembly, taking it in stride. It's allowing me to put some time to assembling the body parts:
Back together 1.jpg
Back together 2.jpg
Ordered a used cornering light for the left lower fairing, easy install when it arrives - should be here next week. Tried to be as diligent as possible when I started disassembly, but missing a few screws, nuts/bolts and such. Have a small stash of these items for just this occasion. Found the small bits that I need to put some paint on, going to get this done over the next week or so. Been a good day so far.

For the tough crowd, a good work productive work day. With the engine being persona non gratis for a bit, getting at the finer details. Took the handlebars and hardware off, switches apart, and the MCs as well. Have these parts/pieces cleaned, ready for some tape and then paint:
Handlebr Hardware for Painting.jpg
Will be using water based paint for these, reason being is that I can paint in the garage without the door open. Using Createx paint. The bars and the chrome air wing pieces may just be a black chrome look. Will be doing a UVLS gloss clear as the base coat, then gloss black, then coats of UVLS gloss clear. The chrome pieces get the gloss black, quicksilver chrome and then UVLS gloss clear. Hadn't planned on doing these items this soon, but a shift in the schedule freed up some time. Have to be running out of items to do.

Thanks. Daily rider and touring bike. Still have grease and crud in areas never seen. Would need a strip to the frame to clean these areas properly. When finished and back on the road, time to put some kilometers on it. Some of my acquaintances/friends do think this project is a bit much considering the age of the bike. :swoon:

My riding friend who admits he is challenged when it comes to turning a wrench has newer bikes, no older than 4 years. He pays to have them cleaned and detailed. I'll be able to park my bikes beside his. :mrgreen:

The paint projects, 1200 and 1500, have taught me a lot. What is possible, products available, tools required - don't need the expensive ones unless that is what you want. Found some wiring issues that need to be corrected. When I took the engine stop switch off, one wire is not connected. Will fix so it works properly.

Doing these project(s) during this time keeps me busy, and out of the fridge. When I'm bored the fridge can be my best friend, not a good situation. :music:

The engine rebuild is the same. Very imposing engine when you start. Not quite so when you get into the work.

Hopefully start the painting today.

Took yesterday morning off, but started at the switches in the afternoon. Taped up the metal faces, and took pictures of the indicator symbols. Trialed a few combinations of prep and paint products that I have on hand.

Cleaned and scuffed the pieces with grey/red scrubbies.

First test was adhesion promoter and SEM trim black. The black did not sit as I would like, bit mottled. The seconds coat of black did not cover as expected either. Getting to the bottom of the spray can - this could be a contributing factor.

Second test was adhesion promoter and Dupli-Color acrylic black matte finish. A bit better than the SEM product but not as good as I thought.

Third test was 1K epoxy primer, no adhesion promoter. First coat so-so. Second much better, sand after second coat, third coat good smooth coverage. Painted with SEM Trim black, two coats, not the finish I was looking for.

Forth test was 1K epoxy primer, no adhesion promoter. First coat so-so. Second much better, sand after second coat, third coat good smooth coverage. Painted with Dupli-Color, two coats, good finish.

Last test was the water based CREATEX UVLS gloss clear. Have to learn how to spray this product as I made a mess of the piece I did - used an airbrush 0.2 mm nozzle. Had to use a reducer with the clear. Think I'll stick to my original plan with this product - sprucing up the chrome bits.

Have one more test to do and that's to use the 1K epoxy primer as first coat, the a non-epoxy primer for the second coat and third if required, then the Dupli-color enamel black. Changing to the non-epoxy primer as second and third coat because the 1k epoxy primer is a high build primer and I don't want to loose any of the markings on the switches. If this works will be going with this as the way ahead for the switches.

Will use a matte clear coat over the final product, but will try to get the small letters painted and some of the indicator symbols on first. Thinking a matte clear coat because I was at my parts place yesterday and looked at the new bikes and the finish on the switches. Looks like a black matte finish.

The clutch and brake MCs will be primed then a gloss automotive black, and clear coated.

Looking at the info that I have posted and missed a small item. Have had a pet peeve regarding the trunk. Have to be careful when opening the lid and not let it go too far. Have always used the arm rests as a stop for the lid. Took the time today to make some connectors that I can use to install wires/leather shoe laces to restrict the forward movement of the trunk lid. Took a few pieces of 1/16 inch ABS, punched a hole in the centre and used electrical wire/cable staples. Here are a couple of piece of what I installed:
Trunk Restraint 2.jpg
Trunk Restraint.jpg

Update on small bits. Max flex on the schedule and what I will do. Have the small bits and MCs primed. Used 2 coats of 1K epoxy primer. Going to let sit for a day or so before applying the black. May need a sand, new coat of primer then the black. Looking at the weather forecast for an optimal day. Will be working on the handlebars and air wing hardware this afternoon. Have to order the Quicksilver chrome.

Packed up for today. Got the small bits primed, clear coated and a couple of pieces with the water based gloss black. Brought inside for the night:
Small Bits for paint 2.jpg
Small Bits for paint 3.jpg
Handle bars were given a coat of the water based UVLS gloss clear. These are hanging in the closet. Should be able to get a second coat of whatever on each piece tomorrow. Turning into one heck of a project.

Short work day. Sprayed the MCs with the Createx high gloss black this morning, 2 coats. Since I'm painting in less than optimal conditions around 12 degrees C, put 2 coats on each piece and going to let cure overnight hanging off the exercise bike. Should get 3 coats of the clear on tomorrow. Here's the laundry hanging:
MC with Gloss Black.jpg
Not a very good picture but you can get the gist of where I am going with these. Used an airbrush with a 0.3 mm nozzle for this painting. Does a good job (not an expensive one) and paint goes a long way. More exact than a mini spray gun. Easy clean up when using water based paint.

Have ordered some additional Createx paints for the switches. Mentioned that I want a matte finish so I will be going with the AutoBorne Black (matte finish) - 6002 - for all the switch cases followed by the 4052 Matte UVLS clear.

The pieces such as the handle bars have had one coat of the UVLS high gloss clear. Recommended to let cure/harden for 48 hours. These pieces will sit until tomorrow then apply a few coats of the high gloss black in preparation for the Quicksilver chrome (on order).

Ended up with a lot of the day left so I took the MC parts/pieces out to the garage and applied the water based clear coat, 3 coats. Tried using the 0.3 mm nozzle airbrush with the clear, but it wouldn't flow - temp and viscosity. Stepped up to a 0.5 mm nozzle mini gun, one of the Princess Auto inexpensive ones. Got the job done. Looking very sparkly:
Brake MC Painted 2.jpg
Brake MC Painted.jpg
These will be left to harden/cure for the rest of the week. The paint I ordered today for the switch cases has already been sent. Hopefully Tuesday for these paints. Moving along nicely.

Had a go at the air wing parts and handle bars yesterday. Used the larger mini spray gun and was doing fine until I thought I'd increase the product output. Water based paints are different to spray from a larger gun. Think I'll drop back to using the airbrush as these are relatively small parts and areas that I have to redo. Have to do some sanding on the handle bars and air wing extenders, then apply more gloss black:
Air Wing Hardware.jpg

Had to strip some black pieces from the air wings:
Air Wing Hardware 2.jpg
The paint came off like plasti dip. Scuffed the chrome with 90 grit sandpaper and sprayed with the UVLS clear. Will spray the black gloss paint tomorrow. Looked at mroe videos on line and decided to clear coat some other air wing pieces to get a shinier surface:
Air Wing Hardware 3.jpg
Don't know what this will do but a test is in order.

Prepping the last (hopefully) of the gold metal flake and brown pieces for painting. Getting near the end of this painting.

Paint for the switch housings arrived as well as the Quicksilver chrome. The pieces that I applied a clear coat to - used Dupli-Color - will be ready for the chrome on Saturday - letting sit for a couple of days.

The left side cornering light should be here tomorrow. Arrived in Blaine, WA Tuesday. Going to improve the look of the bike.

Have decided to take a break this morning and do something different. I had taken most of the aluminum parts and polished in the 2018 work period. Have redone the front forks and installed. Took the IAC cover and redid it this morning. Quite pleased with the result - second time round. Good shine and very clean - did by hand. Getting good at this brushed aluminum look:
IAC Cover.jpg
Tempted to not do the chrome on the handle bars, just strip and polish to match the IAC cover, then apply a coat of the CERAKOTE clear. Used wet/dry sand paper 600 to 3000 grit.

Thanks, these polished aluminum pieces get better with every polish. Have done some of the small pieces for the air wings with the Quicksilver chrome. It's not bad but not as good as the brushed aluminum. I'm going to strip the handlebars and go for a brushed aluminum look. Will do the air wings hardware with the quicksilver chrome. Too much left to do to keep testing my paint skills.